The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 6

Newport County beat West Ham in the cup a year earlier so I'll take Leeds. West Ham wouldn't have coped with Leeds daisy-cutters.

Man Utd is a cert. Forest were awesome back then so another cert. Chelsea were stunning back in 05.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 16 2009, 7:50 PM BST

Was at Marine FC in February when they played my non-league team FC United of Manchester in a friendly.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I saw a load of your fans at the train station.

By the way, I forgot to mention, Marine's former manager Roly Howard is mentioned in the Guinness Book of Records, for being the longest-serving manager in English football. He was in charge for 33 years, retiring in 2005. The funny thing was, he had a day job as a window cleaner, and he used to wash the windows of some of Everton and Liverpool's players and managers. There was also a fly-on-the-wall show all about the club, on ITV, a few years back. It may have only been shown in the North West though.

I used to watch that show about Marine, if memrory serves me right, it was on about 10.30 on a Friday night. I remember Jason McAteer making an appearance in one episode.

I've been going to football matches for 20 years, and in all that time, I've only ever witnessed one incident of hooliganism, and that was at Marine. Actually, I wasn't even at the match in question, I was just walking past, so I can't remember who they were playing. All I do remember is that a Marine fan threw a brick through the Away fans' coach window, as they were leaving. I remember being really shocked, because up until that moment, hooliganism was something that I'd only ever heard about, but never seen. Also, the last place I'd expected to ever witness it was in my leafy little neighbourhood.

Quote: catskillz @ July 19 2009, 9:14 PM BST

I've been going to football matches for 20 years, and in all that time, I've only ever witnessed one incident of hooliganism, and that was at Marine. Actually, I wasn't even at the match in question, I was just walking past, so I can't remember who they were playing. All I do remember is that a Marine fan threw a brick through the Away fans' coach window, as they were leaving. I remember being really shocked, because up until that moment, hooliganism was something that I'd only ever heard about, but never seen. Also, the last place I'd expected to ever witness it was in my leafy little neighbourhood.

I remember being in a Sutton United coach leaving Bournemouth after we lost an FA Cup tie in the mid 70s and we had bricks thrown at us.

FC United's coach had its windows smashed during a match away at Garforth Town- a town in Yorkshire.
I don't know if you've heard about this Catskillz, but a Marine player scored against FC United last season and to celebrate he signalled an aeroplane at the FC crowd. This caused controversy as it could have been his usual celebration, or it could have been a reference to the Munich Air Disaster of 1958.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 19 2009, 9:56 PM BST

This caused controversy as it could have been his usual celebration, or it could have been a reference to the Munich Air Disaster of 1958.

Weren't they playing FC United? Why are they so sensitive?

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 19 2009, 9:56 PM BST

FC United's coach had its windows smashed during a match away at Garforth Town- a town in Yorkshire.
I don't know if you've heard about this Catskillz, but a Marine player scored against FC United last season and to celebrate he signalled an aeroplane at the FC crowd. This caused controversy as it could have been his usual celebration, or it could have been a reference to the Munich Air Disaster of 1958.

Oh yeah, I remember the video on YouTube. If he did mean to offend, then he's obviously an idiot.

Quote: Chappers @ July 19 2009, 10:17 PM BST

Weren't they playing FC United? Why are they so sensitive?

Because it is a club set up by supporters of Manchester United.

Here's one for you seen as there's not much football to talk about with it being pre-season, what is your World XI? Here's mine-
Formation 4-4-1-1
Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)

Daniel Alves (Barcelona)
Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United)
Patrice Evra (Manchester United)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
Xavi (Barcelona)
Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

Kaka (Real Madrid)

Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 19 2009, 10:46 PM BST

Because it is a club set up by supporters of Manchester United.

Hardly supporters if they set up their own team.

That's a matter of opinion. I am a supporter of Manchester United Football Club but I don't like the way the club is being ran, i.e. being put into debt by the Glazer's and like many people, I'm sure you're one of them Dave, am really fed up with the price of a ticket to watch a Premiership match.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 19 2009, 11:29 PM BST

That's a matter of opinion. I am a supporter of Manchester United Football Club but I don't like the way the club is being ran, i.e. being put into debt by the Glazer's and like many people, I'm sure you're one of them Dave, am really fed up with the price of a ticket to watch a Premiership match.

I love the way Manchester United is being run!

I can't be arsed with the whole hassle of going to a Premiership game.

I only go once a season to watch Man United, it really is top drawer, but that's because I go rarely so it is a top atmosphere. I'm going to try and get tickets for a Champions League match next season, I'd love to be in the stadium when the Champions League Anthem came on.

Naughty to cross-post but I want a better turn-out than last season!

FA Premier Fantasy League 'BCG League' Joining Instructions

Come on, you know you want to! It's free and everyone is welcome.

Dan