The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 12

Quote: catskillz @ August 13 2009, 2:10 AM BST

Oh, and I've got that Football League vs. Rest of the World match on video. My Dad had just bought our family's first VCR, and it may have been the first thing we ever recorded. I dusted it off and watched it, a couple of years ago. Maradona got booed every time he touched the ball, and didn't really do much during the match.

That's probably more to do with the fact he demanded an astronoical amount to play. Ken Bates helped co-ordinate the match and they met his demands because they said you couldn't have a game like that without the world's best player. Although I seem to remember that most of them were not top class players.

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2009, 1:19 AM BST

To be fair you've got no chance of winning anythig this season. Except maybe the League Cup if you treat it with respect for a change.

We'll see come the end of the season Dave, we'll see...

Anyone fancy having a guess at how the table will look come the end of the season this year, I'm going for:
1. Man United
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Man City
5. Arsenal
6. Everton
7. Aston Villa
8. Tottenham
9. Fulham
10. West Ham
11. Bolton
12. Sunderland
13. Stoke
14. Wigan
15. Birmingham
16. Wolves
17. Blackburn
18. Portsmouth
19. Hull
20. Burnley

I'm only going to comment on the top 5. As you've put, but swapping Chelsea and United.

Sadly, I think Fulham will be lower than that. Top 8 pick themselves, the other 12 are all relegation possibilities.

Quote: Daddy Maz @ August 13 2009, 9:36 AM BST

Catskillz are you in the BSG fantasy league? Cause if don't know well now you know.

I'm afraid I'm much too lazy to bother getting involved. I have enough trouble sitting down to write, so I can't afford to have another distraction.

Oh, alright then. No convenient edits, people! :) I'd dearly love someone to break the top four and also a couple of 'big' clubs to struggle against relegation (ie not the same three coming up, going back down again). That won't happen, because Hull are *so* shit, you have to be ubershit to finish below them (stand up Wolverhampton Wanderers!)

Dan

1. Man United
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Aston Villa
6. Man City
7. Everton
8. Tottenham
9. Fulham
10. Sunderland
11. West Ham
12. Bolton
13. Wigan
14. Birmingham
15. Stoke
16. Blackburn
17. Burnley
18. Portsmouth
19. Wolves
20. Hull

Plug: BCG Fantasy Football -- Saturday 11:30am deadline!

Hahaha - this will be an edit-free post!

1. Liverpool
2. Man United
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Man City
6. Everton
7. Spurs
8. Aston Villa
9. Sunderland
10. Fulham
11. Blackburn
12. West Ham
13. Bolton
14. Stoke
15. Wolves
16. Wigan
17. Burnley
18. Portsmouth
19. Hull
20. Birmingham

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2009, 1:19 AM BST

To be fair you've got no chance of winning anythig this season. Except maybe the League Cup if you treat it with respect for a change.

Yeah us winning the Carling Cup last season was a horrible lack of respect. How rude of us.

Quote: Spagett @ August 13 2009, 10:31 PM BST

Yeah us winning the Carling Cup last season was a horrible lack of respect. How rude of us.

I guess you mean that red team. I'd totally forgotten who won it which shows how important it is. And Jack had obviously forgotten.

What really irritates me is the weakened teams the big clubs put out and I include them all in that. It shows a total disregard for the paying fans. There used to be a time when there were penalties for fielding weakened teams. Every club was obliged to play their strongest possible team. It's not just about the team concerned but about all the others affected by what is in effect taking the piss.

It's all very well saying that Dave, but at the end of the day, it isn't ideal to have a top player out for a few months due to an injury he picked up against, say QPR in the League Cup and also, it is a good chance for the younger players to show what they can do in front of the fans.

Shocked to read that Norwich City have sacked Bryan Gunn. He took over in Jan, and under him they were relegated. The board didn't sack him at that point. Last Saturday they lost 1-7 against Colchester. They've now sacked him a day before their match at Exeter.

Surely, if you are relegated and keep the manager you don't sack him one game into the next campaign? Ridiculous.

If man utd win the prem this season then they'll win it again next season.
rooney and berb should get 20+ each and owen should get 15+ so its just down to midfielders like nani giggs carrick etc..

chelsea will come 2nd and it will be close between 3rd and 4th between livershite and arsenal

So Gunn got fired!!!!!!!

Well you've got your way.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 14 2009, 12:54 PM BST

It's all very well saying that Dave, but at the end of the day, it isn't ideal to have a top player out for a few months due to an injury he picked up against, say QPR in the League Cup and also, it is a good chance for the younger players to show what they can do in front of the fans.

That is an absolutely arrogant and selfish attitude. The rules are there for everyone - not to be ignored by the big teams. The only punishment should be points deduction. Fines mean nothing to them.

I'm seriously thinking about going to the world cup next year in South Africa.

Quote: Chappers @ August 14 2009, 11:38 PM BST

That is an absolutely arrogant and selfish attitude. The rules are there for everyone - not to be ignored by the big teams. The only punishment should be points deduction. Fines mean nothing to them.

Yes, but look at Man United last season. Darren Gibson played in all the rounds and played very well and now he looks to become a good player.
Paul Scholes made his mark in the league cup scoring a brace in the competition on his debut for United. It is a good chance for players to prove themselves.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 12:12 AM BST

Paul Scholes made his mark in the league cup scoring a brace

The boy done good.