The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 16

Man City are indeed a huge club, always have been. But then again so are Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Newcastle. So what?

My favourite quote so far this season has been from Lee Dixon on MOTD: 'Last season, Man City couldn't buy an away win.' It seems they can afford one now.

From a neutral's point of view, it's good to see another team challenging for the top 5. As an Arsenal fan, I'm not too concerned about Man City nicking our spot.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 17 2009, 4:39 PM BST

From a neutral's point of view, it's good to see another team challenging for the top 5. As an Arsenal fan, I'm not too concerned about Man City nicking our spot.

I agree entirely. Top level football is stagnating.

Quote: catskillz @ August 17 2009, 4:31 PM BST

Was he implying City were a bigger club than Everton? They may be dwarf us when it comes to wealth, but not history.

Everton are playing European football this season, City aren't. So City can't call themselves a top club status, yet. I really hope Lescott stays at Everton, but I sadly can't see it.

Oh dear.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 17 2009, 10:18 PM BST

Oh dear.

Why don't they just get 'Mouthy Northern Gobshites' tattooed on their bodies, then they can be right all the time.

Some City fan got a Kaka tattoo in January. Tosser.
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo, I'd like a dragon on my arm.

Duncan Bannatyne?

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 17 2009, 9:18 PM BST

Everton are playing European football this season, City aren't. So City can't call themselves a top club status, yet. I really hope Lescott stays at Everton, but I sadly can't see it.

I thought I'd take a look at Everton and Man City's records. The first thing I noticed was that Everton have spent more seasons in the top flight than any other club. This season is our 109th, whereas City are in their 80th. Also, Everton have won the League 9 times, and finished second 8 times, whereas City have won it 2 times and finished second 3 times. Everton have also also played in 13 FA Cup Finals, winning 5 times, whereas City have played in 8 and won 4. I should also mention that former Everton striker Dixie Dean still holds the British record for the most goals (60) scored in a season, and the fact that City's record defeat (1-9) was against Everton. Oh, and I think Everton deserve extra credit for the fact that they were League Champions at the start of both World Wars, and at the start of the European ban in the '80s, preventing each of these teams from fulfilling their true potential.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 17 2009, 10:18 PM BST

Oh dear.

Oh well, if he's got a tattoo he's a tosser anyway.

Quote: catskillz @ August 17 2009, 11:00 PM BST

and at the start of the European ban in the '80s, preventing each of these teams from fulfilling their true potential.

I'm surprised they can ever forgive Liverpool for that.

Quote: Chappers @ August 17 2009, 11:08 PM BST

if he's got a tattoo he's a tosser anyway.

Rolling eyes

Quote: catskillz @ August 17 2009, 11:00 PM BST

The first thing I noticed was that Everton have spent more seasons in the top flight than any other club.

I suppose you and I have different definitions of 'top flight'. Arsenal have not been relegated from Division 1 since 1920.

If, as I imagine, you are including the football seasons starting from 1878, I would deduce that you am sad.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 17 2009, 10:36 PM BST

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo, I'd like a dragon on my arm.

Have this one copy/paste/print/cut out and get a tube of superglue and save yourself some dosh. Wales

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 17 2009, 11:15 PM BST

I suppose you and I have different definitions of 'top flight'. Arsenal have not been relegated from Division 1 since 1920.

But Arsenal unfairly gained promotion in the first place, so it's not as great an achievement.

I hope this means Ashley's said goodbye and that he's agreed to sale.

Ashley on Tyneside.

I bought a "History of Manchester United" book thinking "this will be great! I'll be able to converse with people about the English Premiere League on at least some level". Unfortunately it's riddled with British and Football slang so I can't get past the first few pages even. :(