The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 14

Have I missed something?

As you may know I'm in South Africa at the moment, watching the 'soccer' and they showed a 'Hunk of the Match'. Which went to Didier Drogbar incidentally... Cue replays of him swinging his shirt above his head, revealing his impressive 6 pack.

We don't have a similar award in the UK do we? If so I hope it didn't go to Drogba as he is minging...even with his 6 pack.

Don't imagine 'Hunk of the Match' being appreciated by English fans when they arrive for the 2010 cup?

Yes, Drogba scored a 92nd minute winner against Hull.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 11:49 AM BST

Opinions on Mark Hughes. Moyes says he is disgusted the way they have unsettled Lescott. I think Hughes is behaving in a bad way to be honest. When he said 'I think John Terry needs a new challenge' for example, what does he know what John Terry wants. Why would he want to move from a team competing for the Champions and Premier League next season to a team that will just be competing for a Premier League. This former reds legend for me is turning into a Bitter Blue. I didn't mind him going to City, it's just the way he's behaved this pre-season.

Of course he's learned nothing from his previous manager Ferguson. If he could disrupt someone he'd go all out to do it.

Quote: Spagett @ August 15 2009, 3:22 PM BST

What has that got to do with anything?

He has won more than the entire history of Chelsea Football Club.

I take it you don't think Dennis Wise or Ron Chopper Harris are Chelsea legends then? After all they were sent off quite a bit...

It's the prefernetial treatment that players like Rooney get that annoys me. You can see him swearing in the refs face at times and nothing gets done.

I went to a game today and a player got a straight red for abusive language.

Respect? Manchester United (and Ashley Cole) don't know the meaning of it. They all seem to think they're above all this. Don't they realise they're supposed to set an example?

I think Rooney has calmed down a lot now, but admitadly, he did behave like a twat when United played Chelsea at Old Trafford last season. This season he'll mature more as he now has to lead by example and I will say this now and you can backtrack this all you want- He won't get sent off this season.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 9:20 PM BST

Yes, Drogba scored a 92nd minute winner against Hull.

Jack, do you mean 'Yes' we have a 'Hunk of the Match' in the UK?

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 9:54 PM BST

I think Rooney has calmed down a lot now, but admitadly, he did behave like a twat when United played Chelsea at Old Trafford last season. This season he'll mature more as he now has to lead by example and I will say this now and you can backtrack this all you want- He won't get sent off this season.

I'm not saying he will. I'm just saying that he will at some time deserve to be sent off. The FA treat him with kid gloves.

Quote: catskillz @ August 15 2009, 4:47 PM BST

By the way, for those with ESPN, don't forget Everton vs. Arsenal, kicking off in half an hour.

I just bought ESPN for 1p until the end of September.

Well, what can I say about Everton? The first thing that surprised me was the fact that none of our injured players from last season were fit. It just goes to show how much of an out-of-touch armchair fan I am these days. As for the match (or the debacle), I was so knackered, after playing football with my little nephew in the gardedn, that I fell asleep when we were 2-0 down, and didn't wake up until the end.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2009, 9:47 PM BST

Of course he's learned nothing from his previous manager Ferguson. If he could disrupt someone he'd go all out to do it.

It's the prefernetial treatment that players like Rooney get that annoys me. You can see him swearing in the refs face at times and nothing gets done.

I went to a game today and a player got a straight red for abusive language.

Respect? Manchester United (and Ashley Cole) don't know the meaning of it. They all seem to think they're above all this. Don't they realise they're supposed to set an example?

Considering the way Chelsea took their defeat to Barca last season I don't think you can have a go at Utd for a lack of respect to refs.

Quote: Spagett @ August 15 2009, 10:19 PM BST

Considering the way Chelsea took their defeat to Barca last season I don't think you can have a go at Utd for a lack of respect to refs.

They just followed their example.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2009, 10:10 PM BST

I'm not saying he will. I'm just saying that he will at some time deserve to be sent off. The FA treat him with kid gloves.

His red cards in his career:
1. 1st season at Everton. For a foul. Not seen it myself, in his autobiography, he believes David Moyes is in the wrong
2. Villareal, Champions League, 2nd season at Man United. Deserved to be sent off, got booked and clapped in the referees face
3. England vs Portugal, 2006 World Cup- Foul on Ricardo Carvalho, never a red card
4. Man United vs FC Porto, Friendly. Went for a header, got accused of elbowing. Wasn't a red card.
5. Man United vs Fulham. Last season, 2nd booking for throwing the ball aggresively. Debatable, could have been dissent, or could just be throwing the ball back for a free kick for a trailing United.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 15 2009, 10:45 PM BST

His red cards in his career:
1. 1st season at Everton. For a foul. Not seen it myself, in his autobiography, he believes David Moyes is in the wrong
2. Villareal, Champions League, 2nd season at Man United. Deserved to be sent off, got booked and clapped in the referees face
3. England vs Portugal, 2006 World Cup- Foul on Ricardo Carvalho, never a red card
4. Man United vs FC Porto, Friendly. Went for a header, got accused of elbowing. Wasn't a red card.
5. Man United vs Fulham. Last season, 2nd booking for throwing the ball aggresively. Debatable, could have been dissent, or could just be throwing the ball back for a free kick for a trailing United.

You're ignoring what I'm saying.

He is an ignorant neanderthal. He thinks he is above the laws of the game and that twat Ferguson encourages it.

There are dozens of times I've seen him do things he should have been red-carded for.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2009, 10:55 PM BST

He is an ignorant neanderthal. He thinks he is above the laws of the game and that twat Ferguson encourages it.

There are dozens of times I've seen him do things he should have been red-carded for.

All of this would be very noble if you didn't follow a team that has John Terry Ballack, Ashley Cole and Drogba in it.

You have the biggest number of pricks in a team I think I have ever seen so don't try and claim the moral high ground.

Quote: Chappers @ August 15 2009, 10:55 PM BST

Obviously the fact that he looks like a Neanderthal goes against him. Dennis Wise was just as bad, but the fact that he looked like a 12-year-old seemed to help him get away with a lot of stuff, e.g. who remembers the time he pinched Nicky Butt's thigh, as a way of getting him to lash out, as the ref approached? Luckily the cameras caught it.

Quote: catskillz @ August 15 2009, 11:10 PM BST

Obviously the fact that he looks like a Neanderthal goes against him. Dennis Wise was just as bad, but the fact that he looked like a 12-year-old seemed to help him get away with a lot of stuff, e.g. who remembers the time he pinched Nicky Butt's thigh, as a way of getting him to lash out, as the ref approached? Luckily the cameras caught it.

I remember that. Butt did react, kicked him and got red carded. Yes Dave, you've had and have players in your team that are much worse than Wayne Rooney. I admire Drogba as a top class striker, but his behaviour is much worse than Rooney and I'm glad he got the ban he did in Europe.

Watching Chelsea fans argue with Man U fans over who's team is the most dickhead-ish is like watching Mussolini accuse Hitler of being evil.

In essence, both your teams are horrible compared to everyone else. :)