The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 11

Nice 0-4 result for my team last night against Yeovil. Doesn't make up for our 1-7 defeat at the weekend and the fact that our manager is just a complete plum.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 12 2009, 11:36 AM BST

Nice 0-4 result for my team last night against Yeovil. Doesn't make up for our 1-7 defeat at the weekend and the fact that our manager is just a complete plum.

He was your hero years ago when you nearly won the league and were in Europe.

He was some people's hero. Never mine. Even back then. He is just in this job for the local image and celebrity he receives. He's a joke.

Whatever Your Level. New FA video to promote grass roots football. :D

Let's get a little debate going shall we? Pele or Maradona?

I've only really seen Maradona, so him.

Quote: Splodge @ August 12 2009, 11:34 AM BST

I'll give you three - Lahm, Abidal, Ashley Cole.

Evra is great at overlapping runs and going forward but teams have worked out his weaknesses. Aaron Lennon tore him to shreds in the League Cup final and in their next league game, and it looks as if he still hasn't properly recovered. He had a stinker in the Champions League final and Xavi and Messi made him look poor, and now Chelsea have exposed his frailty of mind in the Community Shield.

To be fair though, Evra had just come back from injury in the Carling Cup Final and the whole defence (even the sublime Ferdinand and Vidic) had a nightmare in Rome, but on consistancy, you can't beat him, though he is no Dennis Irwin.
Lahm is playing in a naff league and he showed how poor he was at Euro 2008, Torres made mince meat out of him in the final of Euro 2008 and he was subbed at half time. Abidal is more suited to centre-back due to his height and he is sent off too much, he missed last seasons Champions League and Copa Del Roy finals through suspension, plus he got sent off at Euro 2008. Ashley Cole is in my opinion extremely overated and not as good as Evra.
But to be fair, there aren't many good left backs in the world, but I do rate Evra still as the best. He was outstanding in the 2008 Champions League Final.

Quote: catskillz @ August 12 2009, 5:19 PM BST

Maradona, definitely.

Based mainly on the fact I think Pele's legend owes a large part to the media and the fact that he never shirked from a bit of shameless self-promotion.

Probably Maradona because Pele's got erection problems.

I don't know, because Pele was never my era and Maradonna was coming towards the end of his carear in my era, so I only knew the overweight and drug addicted Diego.

For me, Maradona was supreme. He was a better dribbler, a better passer and a better free-kick taker. He almost won the World Cup single-handedly in '86, in a tournament that featured many great teams, e.g. Brazil, France, Germany and even Denmark, amongst others. Pele, on the other hand, may have won the World Cup 3 times, but he always had the luxury of being surrounded by players who were also superstars in their own right. Oh, and don't forget the amazing fact that Maradona is only about 5ft 4" tall!

Quote: catskillz @ August 12 2009, 5:19 PM BST

There's only one way to find out............

actually it has to be Pele. He could look after himself and was much more of a gentleman.

Maradona was a slimy scumbag.

And I saw them both play. Pele in a Santos friendly around 1969 and Maradona Football League v Rest of the World in the 80s.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 12 2009, 7:19 PM BST

To be fair though, Evra had just come back from injury in the Carling Cup Final and the whole defence (even the sublime Ferdinand and Vidic) had a nightmare in Rome, but on consistancy, you can't beat him, though he is no Dennis Irwin.
Lahm is playing in a naff league and he showed how poor he was at Euro 2008, Torres made mince meat out of him in the final of Euro 2008 and he was subbed at half time. Abidal is more suited to centre-back due to his height and he is sent off too much, he missed last seasons Champions League and Copa Del Roy finals through suspension, plus he got sent off at Euro 2008. Ashley Cole is in my opinion extremely overated and not as good as Evra.
But to be fair, there aren't many good left backs in the world, but I do rate Evra still as the best. He was outstanding in the 2008 Champions League Final.

To be fair you've got no chance of winning anythig this season. Except maybe the League Cup if you treat it with respect for a change.

Quote: catskillz @ August 13 2009, 12:19 AM BST

For me, Maradona was supreme. He was a better dribbler, a better passer and a better free-kick taker. He almost won the World Cup single-handedly in '86, in a tournament that featured many great teams, e.g. Brazil, France, Germany and even Denmark, amongst others. Pele, on the other hand, may have won the World Cup 3 times, but he always had the luxury of being surrounded by players who were also superstars in their own right.

And Pele is absolutely shit at predicting who will win the World Cup. When it's not England it's Columbia. I think he might even have had England down to win in 74 and 78.

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2009, 1:19 AM BST

There's only one way to find out............

actually it has to be Pele. He could look after himself and was much more of a gentleman.

Maradona was a slimy scumbag.

And I saw them both play. Pele in a Santos friendly around 1969 and Maradona Football League v Rest of the World in the 80s.

People always seem to mention Maradona's sliminess, his liking of drugs, and his handball, when judiging him as a player, but none of that stuff has got anything to do with his ability on the pitch.

By the way, here's a bit of random info about Pele: I remember him once saying that he lost his virginity to a gay man who used to hang around Santos' training pitch, when he was a youth player. Apparently the whole Youth team had their way with him.

Oh, and I've got that Football League vs. Rest of the World match on video. My Dad had just bought our family's first VCR, and it may have been the first thing we ever recorded. I dusted it off and watched it, a couple of years ago. Maradona got booed every time he touched the ball, and didn't really do much during the match.

Catskillz are you in the BSG fantasy league? Cause if don't know well now you know.

Maradona was easily the most skillful player I've seen.

(Georghi Kinkladze was the most skillful in real-life for Man City, but then at Derby he was just a fat man who didn't play very well)

Plug: BCG Fantasy Football

Dan