The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 4

Quote: DaButt @ July 15 2009, 8:13 PM BST

I doubt they care whatsoever. Certainly no more than an Englishman would care that their football was invented by a shepherd kicking around an inflated sheep's bladder 2000 years ago in Tunisia.

Where did you hear that?

Quote: JohnnyD @ July 15 2009, 6:02 PM BST

Maybe we can declare our allegiances here.
I'll start. I've been a lifelong supporter of Brentford F.C.
Come on you Bees!

brentford are sort my second time so yes come on the bees. Though I think it is slightly rediculous how every brentford fanis so excited about going to Elland Road. this is basically degrading yourself- Leeds are now just a normal thrid tier side.

1. Lincoln City (my REAL team - my family have been Lincolnshire Yellow Bellys for 200 years)
2. Liverpool - lots of family up there too from both sides of the family and now my wife's too.
3. Peterborough United - local team
4. Norwich City - I lived there for a couple of years in the 80s and my brother still does.
5. Derby County - a friend was a fan in the late 80s/early 90s and I used to go with him a lot. I must've seen 30+ games including a play-off and Anglo-Italian Cup final though none since 1995.

That Italian game was won by Cremonese so they're my Italian team. I look out for the results of St Mirren in Scotland, Hansa Rostock in Germany and Athletico Bilbao in Spain after I became aware of them during the 1982 World Cup (England played their matches there). In Wales it's The New Saints as they used to be sponsored by TNS who I have some indirect business dealings with. In the US it's the Seattle Sounders as I liked the team name back in the 70s before the league folded. :)

Who else has a team they follow for no apparent reason?

I used to live in America and went to RFK Stadium as a boy to watch the Washington Diplomats vs The New York Cosmos. We went because Pele was playing for the Cosmos and wanted to see him in the flesh.

Nowadays, DC United in the MLS and the US National Team (who nearly beat Brazil in the final of a competition - wowzers!).

Unfortunately, as I'm from an Irish Catholic working class background, I have friends who support Celtic and go on about 'smashing the Prodies' or whatever. What a bunch of idiots - Scottish football, really?

Quote: catskillz @ July 15 2009, 10:50 PM BST

Where did you hear that?

I made it up. But people have been kicking, hitting and throwing balls for thousands of years. There's not much new under the sun and who really cares anyway? I don't care about who invented something, I just want the newest, biggest, best, shiniest, coolest something I can find and so do the other 8 billion people on the planet.

Quote: Tuumble @ July 16 2009, 11:41 AM BST

1. Lincoln City (my REAL team - my family have been Lincolnshire Yellow Bellys for 200 years)

How well do you follow them? Do you remember a striker they had a few years ago called Simon Yeo? I used to be a big Hyde United supporter (the sixth division of English football) and Simon played up front for us and had a top class goal record at that level. He was transferred from Hyde to Lincoln City.

Today's the 20th anniversery of the very sad death of Laurie Cunningham.

My teams:

EVERTON - I actually claimed to be a Liverpool fan, when I was really, really young, but that was only because the older kids in my road all supported them. I changed to Everton during their successful period in the '80s, after I was convinced to do so by the 3 other boys who sat on my table at school. Yes, I know you may think I made the wrong decision, but the fact that Liverpool haven't won the league for almost 20 years, and probably won't win it again for another 20 is a big comfort.

DUNDEE UTD - Although the successful '80s Everton period I mentioned saw us win 2 League titles, the FA Cup and the Cup Winner's Cup, it also saw us lose in the Final of 3 more FA Cup Finals, a League Cup Final, a Simod Cup Final, a Zenith Data Systems Final, and the Final of something called The Super Cup. Anyway, when I found out that Dundee United also had a habit of losing Cup Finals, I empathised with their fans, and started following them.

NAPOLI - I started following them when I first found out that Maradona played for them. Then, when he was banned, I followed them because they had the great Brazilian striker Careca.

PSV EINDHOVEN - I started following them back when Bobby Robson was in charge, because I saw a documentary about them, and was awe-struck by their star-player, Romario. He was a unique player, who had the ability to make the ball appear like it was tied to his foot. I followed his career up until he retired last year, at 42, scoring over 1000 career goals. There's a DVD available that features almost all of the goals.

MARINE FC - They were my local non-league team, when I was growing up, 10 minutes away from my house. Jason McAteer is their most famous former player. A couple of my mates also played for them.

Was at Marine FC in February when they played my non-league team FC United of Manchester in a friendly.

My Teams
PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM: MANCHESTER UNITED: Not a glory hunter, my family has supported them since the turn of the 20th century. My Dad was a season ticket holder when they were in the second division in the 1970's. Must emphasise, not a glory hunter and nothing pisses me off more than a Man United supporter in a cockney accent

NON LEAGUE TEAM: FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER: A match made in heaven, a Manchester United supporter who for years has followed non-league football, so here this Manchester United supporters club was formed. Cheap to get in, had some great away days with them and despite seeing some poor football and some even worse referees, you are always guareenteed a top day out.

BOYHOOD TEAM: HYDE UNITED: My Dad was a friend of a former manager and I went to a lot of matches with him when I was a boy. I was once there mascot.

SCOTTISH TEAM: CELTIC: My Scottish team, for the sole reason I'm Catholic.

FOREIGN TEAM: BARCELONA: Play football the right way and love the politics of the club.

FIFA TEAM: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: I'm now a top Fifa player (I've won real trophies in real life competitions) and have been playing on the top level for a long time, yet being Man United gets a bit easy and boring after a while, so Spurs have the ideal squad for me to play as.

Quote: DaButt @ July 15 2009, 8:13 PM BST

football was invented by a shepherd kicking around an inflated sheep's bladder 2000 years ago in Tunisia.

That wasn't football, that was a standard veterinarian cure, and it must have worked because that's how the Tunisians still treat a sheep for inflated bladder.

Roooooneyyyyyyy

Oh, I forgot to mention my favourite Japanese team (What? Hasn't everyone got one?) Kashima Antlers. I started supporting them when I first heard about the J-League, in '94, and I found out that Brazilian legend Zico was palying for them - at the ripe old age of 41. In fact, not only was he still playing, but he was still scoring spectacular goals - like this: Zico Scorpion Goal

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 16 2009, 4:03 PM BST

How well do you follow them? Do you remember a striker they had a few years ago called Simon Yeo? I used to be a big Hyde United supporter (the sixth division of English football) and Simon played up front for us and had a top class goal record at that level. He was transferred from Hyde to Lincoln City.

Top, top player for the Imps - I was sad to see him go (though he did go to POSH). He was right up there with my other Lincoln heroes John Ward, Tony Lormor, Grant Brown and Gordon Hobson. I thought he'd retired but apparently he's just joined Droylsden.

He was great because he had one of the best eyes for goal I've ever seen. Great at Non-League level anyway. My only regret is I never saw him play at League level. My Australien Uncle saw him play Down Under when he had a spell Down Under a few years ago. Droylsden's not far from my house, I may be tempted to go and see him again then.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 16 2009, 7:50 PM BST

Was at Marine FC in February when they played my non-league team FC United of Manchester in a friendly.

NON LEAGUE TEAM: FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER: A match made in heaven, a Manchester United supporter who for years has followed non-league football, so here this Manchester United supporters club was formed. Cheap to get in, had some great away days with them and despite seeing some poor football and some even worse referees, you are always guareenteed a top day out.

BOYHOOD TEAM: HYDE UNITED: My Dad was a friend of a former manager and I went to a lot of matches with him when I was a boy. I was once there mascot.

Why have FC United replaced Hyde United in your affections?

My team is Sutton United. Recently got my season ticket and I'm a Vice President this season too for the sum of £190.

Of course I'd love to see Chelsea win the Premiership too - but as long as Manchester United don't win it I'll be happy.