Plus One - The Series Page 3

I enjoyed this, it had a different tone to a lot of the new sitcoms of late. I think they were paying homage when they had Duncan doing a Dr Evil impression and the main guy doing an impression of Harry Enfield's teenage character Kevin.

My only surprise is that its not a sitcom that can have much longevity at all. Once the impending wedding arrives its over. Even if its cancelled he won't be Plus One anymore.

Unlike Gavin & Stacey, Worst Week of my Life, Nighty Night they haven't given themselves any credible window for further series.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 12 2009, 4:59 PM GMT

My only surprise is that its not a sitcom that can have much longevity at all. Once the impending wedding arrives its over. Even if its cancelled he won't be Plus One anymore.

Unlike Gavin & Stacey, Worst Week of my Life, Nighty Night they haven't given themselves any credible window for further series.

I suppose, putting the title aside, if they do get married, he could become obsessed with trying to ruin their marriage; or try and find a wife that will outshine his ex-ladies hubby.

But yeah, it does seem like quite a limited idea; but I can't believe whoever is producing this wouldn't have asked the same thing. They must have some idea about where a second series could go. Probably.

Quote: glaikit @ January 12 2009, 4:45 PM GMT

It's all about suspension of disbelief.

:)

Quote: glaikit @ January 12 2009, 4:45 PM GMT

Yeah, what happened to the guy who originally played the main character?

Rory Kinnear (interview). When C4 wanted to film this show he was in the latest James Bond film and on at the National Theatre, so had to drop out.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 12 2009, 4:59 PM GMT

I know its not exactly the same, but the Worst Week Of My Life did manage to extend things into two more series. In Plus One, Rob could no doubt go on to have more farcical adventures after the wedding in another series. Although, yes, the title won't make sense any more admittedly. Still, if it does become a hit, I'm sure C4 wouldn't stop it having another series just because of the title.

(I'm trying to remember a good example from the past, the show went on even though the title no longer fitted)

Plus Two
His ex-girlfriend and Duncan Fromblue publicly organise a threesome with Cheryl Ofgirlsaloud. Rob not only has to convince <whoever he eventually takes to wedding> to return, but take part in *his* threesome with <someone better than Duncan Fromblue and Cheryl Ofgirlsaloud, probably Elton John or something>.

Dan

First we had Quiz shows (Weakest Link, Family Fortunes, Mr and Mrs) and Reality Shows (BB, I'm a Celebrity, The Farm, Fame Acadamy) having celebs as contestants, to attract more viewers, and now a sitcom is featuring a celeb playing himself. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend. I know Larry Sanders used to feature celebs playing themselves, but that was different, because it was meant to be a chat show.

Quote: swerytd @ January 13 2009, 10:00 AM GMT

Plus Two
His ex-girlfriend and Duncan Fromblue publicly organise a threesome with Cheryl Ofgirlsaloud. Rob not only has to convince <whoever he eventually takes to wedding> to return, but take part in *his* threesome with <someone better than Duncan Fromblue and Cheryl Ofgirlsaloud, probably Elton John or something>.

Dan

I would watch that.

Hopefully Duncan will force him to watch the consummation and he'll kill himself in the bath.

Woeful. Woeful. Woeful.

How you can write a main character that is such a wet twat. Even if he's not meant to be likeable, what exactly is the point of tuning in then? All the characters are smug and there's no lines that could even entertain you, unless watching the guy who used to be on EastEnders coming up with euphemisms for fanny is funny all of a sudden. 'I only date teenagers that are legal, poof, fanny, minge'. I can see a lot of time went into his development.

An idea that would maybe, maybe work as a one-off. Lazy, weak rubbish.

Not as good as the pilot, and I would definitely agree about the previous leading man being better, but it still had it's moments.

The Duncan from Blue bond villain, the girl in the coma bits were very funny. Twas a bit of a shame they didn't iron out the contrived plot points - he could've easily explained that he'd just be kicked in the nuts and get some sympathy.

Worth sticking with though, did make me laugh.

Quote: catskillz @ January 13 2009, 5:29 PM GMT

and now a sitcom is featuring a celeb playing himself. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend.

Duty Free did it in 1984.

Drop The Dead Donkey did it numerous times with guest appearances.

I really like this show, it has a feel of Teenage Health Freak but with lots of swearing. :D

The way I see it, if the wedding doesn't take place at the end of the series they can very easily continue the premise in series 2. I mean even though Duty Free ran for 3 series wasn't it set during the same holiday in Spain?

Not the same holiday, no. Just some very similar ones!

I watched it last week, but didn't really warm to it. I'd seen the pilot and not been blown away by it, so I'm not surprised.

Like others have said, the setup of the show is rather limited. It just seems that it's going to be 6 repetitive episodes of a dopey bloke trying to get a date for a wedding.

The main character is just irritating! I'll frankly be glad if it all goes wrong for him. Then there's Nigel Harman! Exceptionally poor acting and an awful character. The PE teacher who likes young BUT LEGAL(!) girls. Good Christ. HOWEVER! I thought Duncan from Blue was really good. I thought he'd be wooden and self-conscious, but he managed to send himself up with aplomb.

The language got a bit tiring - i.e the numerous cock references. Oh and I only laughed once at the show - I can't remember what, but it was something at the very end. Actually, the girl in a coma bit was well set up. I liked that.

So to summarise: I won't bother watching any more of it.

Quote: Ben @ January 16 2009, 8:35 PM GMT

Actually, the girl in a coma bit was well set up. I liked that.

I'm surprised that you didn't criticise it for being predictable or "telegraphed".

Talking of girls in comas. I saw an edition of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue that was filmed for TV. They had a round where you sing the lyrics of one song to the tune of another and Tim Brooke-Taylor sang The Smiths' 'Girlfriend In A Coma' to the tune of 'Tip Toe Through The Tulips' and when I saw that scene in Plus One, I just started singing it.

Somebody said on another forum that Rory Kinnear was more believable as a person that could have had a girlfriend like Linsey. But I think Daniel Mays is brilliant and has an air of the loveable loser about him. Some of his gormless facial expressions are priceless.