Plus One - The Series Page 2

I kinda enjoyed the pilot when it was shown but the series let it down. And I may have been one of the only people who really enjoyed Top Buzzer when it was on and liked Daniel Mays in that. But the show seemed to descend into farce. At several points in the show I was wondering why the main character didn't just take the easy route out. Like why did he run when they accused him of being a paedophile when explaining would make more sense? I realise it's a comedy and the final shot was funnier, but I like it when humour comes from the situation, not when the situation is created the make humour and has no ties to reality at all.

This post made no sense.

Anyway, I probably won't bother watching the rest of the series.

Was ok, would watch again, chuckled a few times but not the sort of thing I'll be buying on DVD. From everything I've read about writing sitcoms they've all stated keep sets and characters to a minimum, if possible. This one had a lot of needless locations and characters (his female workmate and his mate - bloke that was in This Life). Great concept for a show though. But as one person said what happens in Series 2?

I liked this. I thought the first two-thirds were quality and, if anything, the last third was not as good.

Steve John Shepherd and Duncan Fromblue were both excellent. I was more impressed with realising that I do actually know what Ingrid Oliver looks like (her of RFTP fame) but never put two and two together!

Dan

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ January 11 2009, 3:56 PM GMT

I may have been one of the only people who really enjoyed Top Buzzer when it was on and liked Daniel Mays in that.

I was a fan of Top Buzzer as well. As I've said before on here, BBC Three apparently turned down the chance to produce the show, because they'd just agreed to make Ideal, which was/is very similar to it, so the show was eventually shown on Channel 5 - who axed it after one series. Meanwhile, Ideal is about to go into a fifth series! By the way, Stephen Graham, the little Scouse bloke from Top Buzzer who starred in films like Snatch and This is England, has got about 4 films coming out this year, the biggest of which is a gangster film called Public Enemies. He's playing the famous American gangster, Baby-face Nelson, alongside Johnny Depp who is playing John Dillinger. Apparently he'll be playing Leeds United legend Billy Bremner in one of his other films.

Quote: swerytd @ January 12 2009, 9:38 AM GMT

I was more impressed with realising that I do actually know what Ingrid Oliver looks like (her of RFTP fame) but never put two and two together!

RFTP?

Ah.

Must come up with some guidelines for using initials...

Quote: Aaron @ January 12 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

Ah.

Must come up with some guidelines for using initials...

You mean acronyms.

Quote: chipolata @ January 12 2009, 11:36 AM GMT

You mean acronyms.

... Yes. Also known as initials. They're the same thing.

(Plus what Griff said.)

Quote: Griff @ January 12 2009, 11:39 AM GMT

Actually RFTP is an abbreviation. It's only an acronym if it forms another word

I tend to think of RFTP as a word in itself.

I thought Top Buzzer was on MTV first? Either way that's the first time I ever saw Daniel Mays.

Oh was it? I only saw it on Channel 5.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ January 12 2009, 12:44 PM GMT

I thought Top Buzzer was on MTV first? Either way that's the first time I ever saw Daniel Mays.

MTV?
;)

I thought the lead actor in the pilot was better than the actor in the series. I find the lead actor annoying and unfunny.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ January 12 2009, 4:05 PM GMT

I thought the lead actor in the pilot was better than the actor in the series. I find the lead actor annoying and unfunny.

Yeah, what happened to the guy who originally played the main character? Also, I too was annoyed at the lack of believability - would it have been so hard to explain that you'd just been kicked in the balls before you were accused of rubbing yourself in front of a child? And wouldn't everyone in the vicinity have seen/heard the fight anyway? If a fight was going on in a park right there next to me I would sure as hell notice!

These kind of things irritate the hell out of me and put me off watching shows like this. It's all about suspension of disbelief.

Quote: glaikit @ January 12 2009, 4:45 PM GMT

Yeah, what happened to the guy who originally played the main character?

Theatre.

Quote: Lazzard @ January 12 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

MTV?
;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Buzzer

I forgot James Lance was in it. Also Stephen Merchant popped up once.