Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 21

Quote: Chappers @ December 2 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

I really enjoyed that. Great show but maybe would work as a feature - ie a film in English.

I was worried at the start because I thought it would be an american style comedy.

What does "American style comedy" even mean?

American, presumably.

He's bitter towards U.S sitcoms because of Friends. He didn't look past the immediate "whooping" audience to discover a great cast of characters and jokes.

;)

Quote: Leevil @ December 3 2009, 6:18 PM GMT

American, presumably.

He's bitter towards U.S sitcoms because of Friends. He didn't look past the immediate "whooping" audience to discover a great cast of characters and jokes.

;)

Shame. That's like an American watching an episode of Fools & Horses and turning it off because he didn't like the decor in the flat.

Quote: zooo @ December 2 2009, 11:04 PM GMT

Heaven forfend!

You don't get a lot of forfend, nowadays...

Dan

I'm bringing it back.

Quote: Martin H @ December 3 2009, 6:31 PM GMT

Shame. That's like an American watching an episode of Fools & Horses and turning it off because he didn't like the decor in the flat.

Well, that's understandable. Pleased

Well that dragged. An unfunny, directionless mess. The storyline between the manager (?) and the deaf nurse was far more interesting, and probably with far more comedic scope, than the main plot.

So no doubt Channel 4 will commission it. Unimpressed

Quote: Aaron @ December 4 2009, 11:06 PM GMT

Well that dragged. An unfunny, directionless mess. The storyline between the manager (?) and the deaf nurse was far more interesting, and probably with far more comedic scope, than the main plot.

Pretty fair assessment.

Quote: Aaron @ December 4 2009, 11:06 PM GMT

Agreed.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 2 2009, 7:26 PM GMT

Why do I get the feeling that this year will be the last outing for the 'Comedy Showcase' strand?

Actually Tim, Channel 4 have already set aside about £1.5 million* to commission six more pilots next year for another run of Comedy Showcase in 2011. If you think about it, they got three full series out the first one, and at least two out of this one... so far (I suspect Guantanamo Phil will be commissioned too)... so it's actually quite a good investment for them.

(*Admittedly, I suspect this money is only available because of the cancellation of Big Brother)

If Plus One is anything to go by, C4 will give the chosen show a series then ditch it. Angry

The last one was pretty dreary, and a waste of a good cast. That said, the "act natural" bit did make me laugh out loud.

The Amazing Dermot. Actually found some of this very funny, particularly in the first half. Certainly more interesting and funner than bloody Phone 'full series' Shop. But then, I am a sucker for anything with Alex McQueen in it.

I thought Amazing Dermott was very disappointing. I thought Rhys Darby was a funny guy, guess it was the writing.

Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margret was ridiculously funny, I really hope they produce this series.

I liked The Amazing Dermot and thought it was very funny. I agree Darren Boyd was the best (perhaps most empathetic character, rather than 'best'?) in it, but I enjoyed it a lot. Written by the brothers who wrote Roman's Empire unless I've very much mistaken.

To be honest, the one I've least enjoyed out of the four so far was PhoneShop but even that wasn't so bad.

Dan