Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 20

Quote: chipolata @ November 30 2009, 10:06 AM GMT

I also wasn't too crazy about the prelude in court, telling us about stuff that wasn't covered in the first episode. If you've got a full series, great. But this was just a pilot.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, what was that all about in a pilot? This episode and the Phoneshop one certainly gave the impression that they were already part of a full series. They were both watchable but introductory episodes that don't reveal a great deal about a normal episode and were just showing a main character getting used to a new world. It really feels like these are showcasing stuff they will be doing rather than piloting them.

But regardless, I would probably watch them both with the Cross one impressing me most.

I liked the David Cross one. Certainly the most intriguing so far. Unliklely to get a series though. Not if bloody Phone Shop if the standard thus far for getting a whole run commissioned.

Re: Todd Magaret

Personally speaking, this stereotypical 'fish out of water' sitcom was only held together by such a strong and recognisable cast. I didn't think the jokes or the situations were particularly funny or original and it looked like they took all the culture clash jokes from National Lampoon's European Vacation, A Fish Called Wanda and An American Werewolf in London and tried to cram them into a 30 minute slot.

I'm surprised they didn't have Todd making faces at punk rockers on the tube before getting stuck on a roundabout.

Unlike previous 'fish out water' sitcoms set in tiny villages, there are so many Americans, and other cultures, in London, that it's difficult for one nationality to stick out. Speaking of nationalities, London must have been ethnically cleansed just before Todd arrived, as it was honkey town everywhere he went.

Finally, I know the main character is meant to be an idiot, but even the most retarded of people must know that you can't sell 16,000 cases of energy drinks by going to door to door on your own.

If they'd gone down a different route with this, American boss in a British office motivating his disenfranchised workforce, then it could have been quite amusing.

But as it is, it's just disappointingly old fashioned, tired and bland. As mentioned before, the cast are top notch, so kudos where required.

Apparently Todd Margaret isn't getting a series. So PhoneShop gets a full series and one that hasn't even aired yet gets a series, but the one that showed the most promise is chucked in the bin!

Really? Where did you hear this?

Someone asked Sharon Horgan on Twitter and she said no.

Actually, Pete Vs Life was dropped from the Comedy Showcase, but yes, it has been given a full series.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ December 2 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

Actually, Pete Vs Life was dropped from the Comedy Showcase, but yes, it has been given a full series.

Hope for mine yet then, it didn't even get filmed... By this logic I've concluded that it will run for at least 6 series! :)

Quote: hotzappa11 @ December 2 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

Presumably, after seeing the first episode, the Channel 4 monkeys thought it was too funny to appear in a 'Comedy' Showcase. Huh?

:(
Bastards.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 2 2009, 2:16 PM GMT

Presumably, after seeing the first episode, the Channel 4 monkeys thought it was too funny to appear in a 'Comedy' Showcase. Huh?

No, they're just too cheap to air it and then make another 6 episodes. This way they only have to do 5.

Quote: Martin H @ December 2 2009, 12:44 PM GMT

Apparently Todd Margaret isn't getting a series. So PhoneShop gets a full series but the one that showed the most promise is chucked in the bin!

How very depressing. Channel 4 are contemptuous.

Why do I get the feeling that this year will be the last outing for the 'Comedy Showcase' strand? Errr

Watching Todd Margaret now. Loved Small Faces theme.

Yes - very funny in places in the first few minutes.

I really enjoyed that. Great show but maybe would work as a feature - ie a film in English.

I was worried at the start because I thought it would be an American style comedy.

Heaven forfend!