Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 19

Quote: jim field @ November 28 2009, 9:35 PM GMT

It's been done. Don't say JF didn't offer you his advice.

Laughing out loud

Right, I've done a re-write with full directing instructions too and sent if off with an accompanying letter saying "JF sent me."

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 29 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Right, I've done a re-write with full directing instructions too and sent if off with an accompanying letter saying "JF sent me."

Dolly, one thing that producers do not like to see from no-ones like yourself is 'full directing instructions'. Still, I think it does show that you have vision - just try and be more realistic with it.

Quote: jim field @ November 29 2009, 6:08 PM GMT

Dolly, one thing that producers do not like to see from no-ones like yourself is 'full directing instructions'. Still, I think it does show that you have vision - just try and be more realistic with it.

But I said I said I would direct too.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 29 2009, 6:10 PM GMT

But I said I said I would direct too.

You know what? I admire your approach; my career developed very quickly, and a lot of that was down to supreme confidence in my ability. But you need to be ready to back it up. Do you direct your sketches?

Quote: jim field @ November 29 2009, 6:56 PM GMT

my career developed very quickly, and a lot of that was down to supreme confidence in my ability.

Laughing out loud

:D

Hardly.

This is way off topic. Jim Field, stop being so picky about peoples' comments.

Quote: jim field @ November 29 2009, 8:07 PM GMT

Hardly.

To go off topic here, Jim - are you in any related to the comic writer Jim Field Smith?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 29 2009, 8:44 PM GMT

To go off topic here, Jim - are you in any related to the comic writer Jim Field Smith?

No, not that I am aware of.

Quote: jim field @ November 29 2009, 11:39 PM GMT

No, not that I am aware of.

OK, just wondered.

I did like The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret too. Especially the Will Arnett bits; the guy is a scene-stealer extraordinaire!

Russell Tovey is generally ace in things as well. Though this is the least sympathetic character I've seen him play. That said, if he was played by a more unlikeable actor, I'd give him even less chance.

Sharon Horgan seems to be playing Sharon Horgan. It's a good job she does it so well.

Anyway, aside from that moaning, all very good. A series would be excellent.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 30 2009, 9:46 AM GMT

I did like The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret too. Especially the Will Arnett bits; the guy is a scene-stealer extraordinaire!

I just keeping thinking of a third rate Malcolm Tucker.

Quote: swerytd @ November 30 2009, 9:46 AM GMT

Queerly, I was disapointed by Will Arnett. Not his fault, I just thought the character was a bit "Meh." He's stolen scenes much more effectively in Will and Grace and 30 Rock, where the writing was sharper.

As for the show. It was okay, but slightly one dimensional. If it got a series, would every episode just be Todd Margeret stumbling from one disaster to the next? A great sitcom needs a few more dimensions.

I also wasn't too crazy about the prelude in court, telling us about stuff that wasn't covered in the first episode. If you've got a full series, great. But this was just a pilot.

That said, David Cross was very good, and as already mentioned, the final breakdown scene in the cafe was excellent. A great exercise in physical comedy. And I really liked Sharon Horgan. She added a much needed human dimension.