Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 15

It's an E4 commission, yes? I haven't actually seen it yet, but it sounds as though this type of show might appeal to their demographic (*spits*).

EDIT: Apologies to Splodge. >_<

I watched Phone Shop last night and to be honest... a bit cringey and as already mentioned a real Ricky Gervais copy cat feel. Why can't people act without being like him nowadays.

The things I did find funny were only because I've worked in a phone shop myself. My boyfriend on the other hand didn't get the "hard sell" jokes. The characters annoyed me, and I find it difficult to like a sitcom when I hate all the characters (hate might be too strong a word).

Quote: Leevil @ November 17 2009, 1:38 AM GMT

There's no fun characters in sitcoms anymore. What with their trying to be real-ness, they have to keep it believable.

Quite, quite agree.

Quote: EllieJP @ November 17 2009, 2:16 PM GMT

as already mentioned a real Ricky Gervais copy cat feel. Why can't people act without being like him nowadays.

He script-edited.

Quote: Aldeem @ November 17 2009, 11:02 AM GMT

Someone tells me it has already been commissioned.

Quote: Aaron @ November 13 2009, 6:25 PM GMT

PhoneShop has already been commissioned as a full series. So much for the ideas that Channel 4 will take some chances with good, new comedy. (To be fair, a couple of the characters are reasonably good, but I don't fancy spending a whole series with most of them.)

It was commissioned before it had even broadcast.

Quote: YesNo @ November 16 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

It was written by Phil Bowker - Head of Comedy at TalkbackThames.

Nice to see Channel 4 championing new and emerging talent.

I hope they all choke on each other's coke encrusted cock rings. Bunch of wankers, no wonder the channel is going under.

Only just discovered that Phone Shop has been given a full series.

Huh?

I can't see Phone Shop pulling in the punters. I just can't.

I didn't get to see Phoneshop. I'll try to get around to it.

The shop is still empty by the way so maybe they'll get the filming done soon.

:D

Quote: Chappers @ November 18 2009, 11:34 PM GMT

I didn't get to see Phoneshop. I'll try to get around to it.

The shop is still empty by the way so maybe they'll get the filming done soon.

What did that shop use to be Chappers? It's on Sutton high st isn't it?

I used to live close to Sutton, which was pretty much all phone shops and vomit.

Pointless fact - the Carphone Warehouse used in Extras was the one in Guildford town centre.

Further pointless fact - when Andy is playing a genie in panto alongside Les Dennis (series one), the theatre is supposed to be in "Guildford". The theatre is actually in Wimbledon! (Which is only a few miles away from Sutton - oh how the wheel comes full circle!) :O