Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 18

Watching it later.

That was absolutely flipping brilliant. By far the most worthy of a series to date; if it's not commissioned, Channel 4 really are beneath contempt.

And, fact fans, filmed at the same café as Lead Balloon.

http://www.gracelandscafe.com/

Tonight's one was ace!
Was quite upset when I remembered it was just a pilot. :(

Yes, best one by far.

I missed the others and thought this was okay, but went too often for far too obvious gags. The caffeine high scene just went on too long. Good performances though.

Kind of as if Larry David had been cast as the lead in National Lampoon's European Vacation. Agree the caffeine high scene went on far too long.

Always good to hear some Small Faces though.

The bit with the exploding luggage was awful. I hate it when telly people do this kind of thing i.e. A character blusters and stammers instead of simply shouting 'that's my case!' which is what you would do. And it seems weird that the bomb disposal people wouldn't have stepped into the cafe to ask if the container belonged to anyone. Very , very lazy writing.

Quote: YesNo @ November 28 2009, 10:13 AM GMT

Very , very lazy writing.

Somehow, I doubt that.

And it seems weird that the bomb disposal people wouldn't have stepped into the cafe to ask if the container belonged to anyone. Very , very lazy writing.

He'd gone out back to have his hand seen to, when he came back through it was already about to be blown up, so it's very possible they had done.

I thought it was pretty good; it was basically all set up, rather than what an actual regualr episode of it might be, and there was room for some more laughs, but promising stuff.

The bit with the exploding luggage was awful. I hate it when telly people do this kind of thing i.e. A character blusters and stammers instead of simply shouting 'that's my case!' which is what you would do.

Agree that is an irritating comic cliche; they tried to set it up a bit to make it plausible, but even so...

The problem for me was this had studio-type sitcom jokes, yet wasn't. The way it looked I was expecting far more subtle, naturalistic humour.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 28 2009, 5:05 PM GMT

The problem for me was this had studio-type sitcom jokes, yet wasn't. The way it looked I was expecting far more subtle, naturalistic humour.

Maybe you should do a re-write and send it in?

Quote: jim field @ November 28 2009, 9:22 PM GMT

Maybe you should do a re-write and send it in?

Yeah, because that's how TV works. Rolling eyes

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 28 2009, 9:32 PM GMT

Yeah, because that's how TV works. Rolling eyes

It's been done. Don't say JF didn't offer you his advice.

Quote: jim field @ November 28 2009, 9:35 PM GMT

Don't say JF didn't offer you his advice.

Oh, it's good to know we've always got you to turn to, Jim. ;)