Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 23

I wish someone would make a show like Smack The Pony - but not funny. Oh wait, my dreams have come true!

What a pile of horseshit Girl Friday was. It's a crime to waste such a talented cast on such a weak sketch show. They were obviously of the opinion that putting on a funny wig and wacky voice was enough. It wasn't.

However, I don't want to be totally negative, as I enjoyed the AA Breakdown / serial killer sketch, but that was about it really. All of the other sketches I'd seen a thousand times before and this 'effort' brought nothing new to the party.

I'm not even going to mention all the old jokes taken from the Girl Power book of femenist comedy involving clothes, dieting, men, etc.

Rubbish.

Only lasted fifteen minutes of Girl Friday. As far as I could tell the script was iffy at best, but it was hard to see past performances that would have shamed a school six form production (the attempts at depicting old women were particularly feeble).

I haven't watched it yet...
But I'm looking forward to it.
*looks for appropriate Smiley.
Rolling eyes

It was commissioned relatively late in the day, this one. (Bites tongue.) Perhaps it was tough to put it together in time, especially with a week less to edit due to C4 dropping one show out of the series?

I've just watched it and I loved it. I thought Josie Long was great. Loved the AA Man sketch, and looserwomen.

I've enjoyed most of the Showcases, but this I would watch again, and hope it gets a series :)

Ah Tim, you apologist you, no wonder all the honeys go to your yard for milkshakes and such.

I'm sorry, but it had nothing to do with time limits, especially as there were six writers involved and it was the sketch ideas and not the physical production of the show that was at fault.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 19 2009, 12:46 AM GMT

no wonder all the honeys go to your yard for milkshakes and such.

:D

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 19 2009, 12:42 AM GMT

I've just watched it and I loved it. I would watch again, and hope it gets a series :)

Bu-what?! Is this a female thing, because that can be the only reason that the same jokes about carbs, dating, dieting and every lady's favourite, castration, has struck a cord with you.

I guess it's as the old saying goes 'Men are from Mars, women aren't funny'.

:O ;) :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 19 2009, 12:49 AM GMT

Bu-what?! Is this a female thing, because that can be the only reason that the same jokes about carbs, dating, dieting and every lady's favourite, castration, has struck a cord with you.

I guess it's as the old saying goes 'Men are from Mars, women aren't funny'.

:O ;) :P

Oh, what's this? Big angry man shouting at me. Must change my opinion so he will like me.....

*sucks thumb*

I was quite surprised by the recurring themes of fashion, dieting and trying to get men.

The AA sketch was original and clever.

Looser Women could have been a good opportunity to mock the show, but it wasn't enough like the real thing.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 19 2009, 10:13 AM GMT

Looser Women could have been a good opportunity to mock the show, but it wasn't enough like the real thing.

Yes, I thought that was a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I quite liked the Blitz sketches.

Despite my harsh criticisms, I did have high expectations for Girl Friday, I wanted it to be a new chapter in female comedy, but it just let me down so badly.

On the plus side, I'm beginning to think that a real comedy star is emerging in the form of Kerry Howard - she played the part of the woman in the nightclub having a go at the bloke to get his free drink.

I think we're going to see her in lot more stuff in the future.