Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 24

She was in Reggie Perrin as the dozy receptionist wasn't she?

Isn't she Russell Howard's sister?

Yep!

For viewers who'd just rolled in from the pub, Girl Friday was probably okay but, no matter how you look at it, it doesn't come close to matching the wit, the intelligence, the creativity, the insight or the all-round vibrancy of 'Smack the Pony'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 18 2009, 10:48 PM GMT

I wish someone would make a show like Smack The Pony - but not funny. Oh wait, my dreams have come true!

What a pile of horseshit Girl Friday was. It's a crime to waste such a talented cast on such a weak sketch show. They were obviously of the opinion that putting on a funny wig and wacky voice was enough. It wasn't.

However, I don't want to be totally negative, as I enjoyed the AA Breakdown / serial killer sketch, but that was about it really. All of the other sketches I'd seen a thousand times before and this 'effort' brought nothing new to the party.

I'm not even going to mention all the old jokes taken from the Girl Power book of femenist comedy involving clothes, dieting, men, etc.

Rubbish.

Spot on.

I didn't think the show was too bad, but then again I said the same about Bumblebee or whatever it was called.
I thought Josie Long was quite good in it.

I just like sketch shows in general, even if they aren't always great.

At least Smack the Pony didn't set the bar too high for all girl sketch shows.
ALthough likeable it was very hit & miss.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 19 2009, 10:34 PM GMT

At least Smack the Pony didn't set the bar too high for all girl sketch shows.
ALthough likeable it was very hit & miss.

It was seldom laugh out loud funny, but it did have a charm absent from last night's offering.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 19 2009, 10:34 PM GMT

I thought Josie Long was quite good in it.

I thought she was amazing in it, took me by surprise totally. But that was about it for me. A couple of cracking sketches but way too many that seemed to fall flat.

Has anyone honestly enjoyed any of these shows? The one about Gautanimo bay had some very funny moments in but was overall dissapointing. It seems only established figures like Caroline Ahern and The League of Gentleman teams are trusted enough to write something without sacrificing their art to pander to the masses and ehnce why they are the only writers to have produced any half decent this year.