I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,881

Actually the ones who voted for him don't seem to be complaining at the moment.
It's only the losers.

Anyway ,more importantly.
It was the anniversary of Buddy Holly's death on the Feb 3.

This is Weezer with a clever Happy Days video
Buddy Holly https://youtu.be/kemivUKb4f4

Quote: wigwam willy @ 7th February 2017, 11:53 PM

"...... racist, xenophobic morons who voted for him."

After reading his comments on here,I've never considered DaButt any of those.

Quote: keewik @ 8th February 2017, 12:05 AM

Neither did I, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Although I've never uttered anything even remotely racist nor xenophobic on this forum, you're entertaining the idea that I am? Isn't that the sort of "alternate facts" that has everyone's panties in a twist these days? No basis in fact, etc.?

How democratic is it that you're not allowed a direct vote? The so-called (I quote Trump) electoral colleges have to do it for you. Stalin, er mean Hitler, er I mean Trump, had fewer votes overall than his competitor. Is that democracy?

Our founders enacted the rules in order to prevent a large state or two from dictating the politics for a nation of 50 states. They knew exactly what they were doing. I doubt there would have been a peep about it from Democrats (or foreigners) had the shoe been on the other foot.

Quote: keewik @ 8th February 2017, 12:16 AM

I understand your point BUT Trump is a monster, no other word for him.

What exactly makes him a monster? Because he made lewd, boastful remarks about women in private, long before he campaigned for office? Because he wants to stem the flow of illegal immigrants? Because he has a brash, New York City persona? Because he's a rich white male? If there was any verifiable proof that he hates women, people of color, gays or Muslims, then he would never have been elected. But a certain subset of people will believe it to be the truth, so the truth it shall be.

I'll tell you what makes him a monster: a political party and the media who lie in bed with them. People are eating it up and somewhere a politician is laughing at them.

It remains to be seen whether Donald Trump will be a good president. Personally, I think he's off to a rough start and he needs to knock off some of his sharp edges. But a monster? No. That's just partisan politics speaking, and it's rather laughable when it comes from someone who doesn't even live in this country.

Quote: zooo @ 8th February 2017, 12:35 AM

I'm seeing a lot of Americans trying to blame Trump getting elected on other people. It's Obama's fault, the democrats, Hillary, liberals.
Nope, the only people to blame (or thank if you're into that) are the voters who voted for Trump. They seem to be trying to get out of having any responsibility for putting a lunatic in charge of their country.

There's a difference between blaming and pointing out an obvious fact: Hillary Clinton and her party derided millions of good Americans and they slapped her and her party right across the face with it. Women, people of color and ethnic minorities voted for Donald Trump, the supposed racist and misogynist. Although they're acting like sore losers and will barrage us with another media-assisted anti-Republican blitz for the remainder of Trump's term, I assure you that the Democratic party is scrambling to change up their game for the next election.

God only knows if Trump will complete his first term, but I remember all of the anti-Bush hatred from the party and the press and he managed to win a second term as well. Maybe we'll have another 8 years of The Donald. ;)

I'd query 'democratically'. How democratic is it that you're not allowed a direct vote? The so-called (I quote Trump) electoral colleges have to do it for you. Stalin, er mean Hitler, er I mean Trump, had fewer votes overall than his competitor. Is that democracy? And before you give May (whom I abhor) as an example, we vote for a local person to represent our constituency and not for a leader of the country. That's a by product if the general elections.

But that is the voting system of the USA. So if he won under those rules, he won.

As for May, she is dreadful.

Quote: Will Cam @ 8th February 2017, 8:19 AM

But that is the voting system of the USA. So if he won under those rules, he won.

As for May, she is dreadful.

Agreed . . . she is like the month - pretty wet. She needs to grow a pair.

Whatever anyone thought of Thatcher and what she did - at least she was fearless.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th February 2017, 2:59 AM

But a monster? No. That's just partisan politics speaking, and it's rather laughable when it comes from someone who doesn't even live in this country.

Totally. I always get offended when non-Japanese people describe Godzilla and Gamera as monsters. What would they know?

Wavewelcome back Kenneth.

Quote: Kenneth @ 8th February 2017, 10:28 AM

Totally. I always get offended when non-Japanese people describe Godzilla and Gamera as monsters. What would they know?

Laughing out loud

Neither did I, but I'm beginning to wonder.

I'd query 'democratically'. How democratic is it that you're not allowed a direct vote? The so-called (I quote Trump) electoral colleges have to do it for you. Stalin, er mean Hitler, er I mean Trump, had fewer votes overall than his competitor. Is that democracy? And before you give May (whom I abhor) as an example, we vote for a local person to represent our constituency and not for a leader of the country. That's a by product if the general elections.

The electoral college system was devised (As far as I know) to ensure that the states with high populations do not always win the elections; without it USA would probably always have a president from California.

We do the same in this country by moving the constituency borders. There is no point in complaining about that aspect of USA democracy. Oh and very often the MP of the UK constituency is not a LOCAL of that place.

It's in the eyes of the beholder:

The President of the USA is a lunatic, a monster, Hitler, etc.

Valid views?

..the quality of being reasonable, logically or factually sound; having soundness or cogency.

Wot no more reactionary rubbish from those tree-hugging loony left Trump haters?

Must be all Trumped out!

Yes, let's look for other bastards for a while. John Redwood, for instance, who plans to blackmail businesses who don't speak up for Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11127836/Businesses-that-speak-out-for-Britains-EU-membership-will-be-punished-vows-John-Redwood.html

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th February 2017, 12:39 PM

Yes, let's look for other bastards for a while. John Redwood, for instance, who plans to blackmail businesses who don't speak up for Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11127836/Businesses-that-speak-out-for-Britains-EU-membership-will-be-punished-vows-John-Redwood.html

In fact he is saying that they should not speak up for REMAIN.

He is not saying that they should speak up for Brexit, he is saying they should keep out of politics.

Fat chance of very many individuals at the top of business or politics not just feathering their own goddamn nests at everybody else's expense Brexit or no Brexit (whilst sat on their fat arses 'working from home').

Fake news, I know, but tragically amusing nonetheless:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/09/news/kellyanne-conway-ivanka-brand/index.html?sr=fbCNN020917kellyanne-conway-ivanka-brand0306PMVODtopLink&linkId=34316702

What, Fake as in True, you mean... http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/02/kellyanne-conway-says-to-go-buy-ivankas-stuff.html