I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,883

Quote: billwill @ 10th February 2017, 1:00 PM

It seems to me that a better system might be that the presidential elections are done two years before the winner become President and that during those two years he/she works as vice-president to the current President.

THAT is brilliant.

That is kind of genius.

Might work in a single party system but I cannot see it working otherwise. Across the globe opposing political parties seem to pretty much hate each other.

The electoral college system was the same one that elected Obama and the same one that applied to both Clintons. It's a bit late to ask for a change in the system after the event because you didn't like the result. If Obama didn't agree with the system he had eight years to convince everybody and he didn't do that.

Also, if Obama did such a great job, why wasn't there an Obama-flavour candidate to carry on his brilliant work and win with a landslide?

Quote: fopdoodle @ 10th February 2017, 12:27 PM

He is clearly unstable . . . can twenty thousand doctors all be wrong? One started a petition stating he 'manifests a serious mental illness that renders him psychologically incapable of competently discharging the duties of President of the United States' and asks 'we respectfully request he be removed from office, according to article 3 of the 25th amendment to the Constitution, which states that the president will be replaced if he is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office."

It has been signed, to date, by over 20,000 medical professionals from all over USA, Canada and Europe . . . with reasons ranging from 'textbook narcissism' (as dangerous as psychopathy as it renders one incapable of empathy) to general instability and even Alzheimers.

I don't know if 20,000 doctors can be wrong - we would need ask the rest of the doctors who didn't sign the petition.

Either way, I don't believe the US government needs an internet petition to deal with a mentally ill President should they ever need to.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 10th February 2017, 2:10 PM

I don't know if 20,000 doctors can be wrong - we would need ask the rest of the doctors who didn't sign the petition.

Either way, I don't believe the US government needs an internet petition to deal with a mentally ill President should they ever need to.

I would imagine that many are not even aware of the petition - and though I agree that petitions rarely have sufficient clout, all who protest still add gravity to the facts. Same as people here signing another against his state visit . . . mine was purely about standing up to him - but I actually think he should speak at HQ because he will probably flounder and make himself look a bigger twat than he already has.

Another example . . . naming all immigrants 'aliens' in calling for their crimes to be listed and published, is just another order that hasn't been thought through as not only is that racist, because by doing so, he is saying any immigrant who commits the same crime as someone born there is somehow worse, but is again divide and rule which must also be against the constitution.

That petition by 20,000 doctors, it's certainly a lot of doctors, but it can't be considered as factual, it would need peer examination in a proper medical process surely.

Immigrants are named as aliens by all countries including ours. Regarding 'alien' criminals I would think they might be considered as worse than 'home grown' criminals in that why were they admitted if they had a criminal record? And why should they be allowed to remain if they commit crimes after they have been admitted?

Convicted criminals in Rotherham recently have had their British Citizenship withdrawn due to their crimes, and had their appeal against it also denied. Do you think that's wrong?

Talking of petitions

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

Over half a million so far, and Trump still insists people aren't interested in his returns and that it's just a 'press obsession'.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 10th February 2017, 3:04 PM

That petition by 20,000 doctors, it's certainly a lot of doctors, but it can't be considered as factual, it would need peer examination in a proper medical process surely.

Immigrants are named as aliens by all countries including ours. Regarding 'alien' criminals I would think they might be considered as worse than 'home grown' criminals in that why were they admitted if they had a criminal record? And why should they be allowed to remain if they commit crimes after they have been admitted?

Convicted criminals in Rotherham recently have had their British Citizenship withdrawn due to their crimes, and had their appeal against it also denied. Do you think that's wrong?

Of course it would need a proper medical process and all the red tape that goes with it - and I think this is what they are pushing for, but they have just stated that they want him removed from office as the end goal. And it should be tough for anyone to enter any country with an existing criminal record, but seems he wants to name and shame any immigrant even for a first offence and ultimately kick them out. Imagine if it was stealing a loaf to feed their family - a 'national' may just get a relative slap on the wrist . . . it just smacks of more 'act first, probably won't even think later' and feels very discriminatory.

Quote: playfull @ 10th February 2017, 3:50 PM

Talking of petitions

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

Over half a million so far, and Trump still insists people aren't interested in his returns and that it's just a 'press obsession'.

Another baffling issue. How the holy hell did he get in after A. Refusing to submit returns, and B. Boasting he was clever in 'exploiting a loophole'?!

Online petitions are a waste of time. They're especially laughable if they call for the removal of an elected American president and are signed by foreigners and others ineligible to vote. Weed out the non-voters and people who aren't actual medical doctors and then tell us what their political affiliation is. I'll guarantee you that almost none of them are Republicans. This is just more politically motivated sour grapes.

I have two friends who are doctors and 5 or 6 who are nurses. They all voted for Trump.

You live in Texas. Probably the whole state voted for him.

Quote: zooo @ 10th February 2017, 6:36 PM

You live in Texas. Probably the whole state voted for him.

They don't all live in Texas, but Trump only won 52% of the vote here.

My doctor/nurse friends who voted for Trump include several women, a few people of Mexican descent, and an African American. Pretty weird that they'd vote for racist misogynist, huh? ;)

Not really! There's always a few weirdos in every group. ;)

But 94% of black females and 80% of black males voted Hillary. Which is pretty strikingly decisive.

But without Trump we wouldn't have Kellyanne Conway,pure comedy gold.

Anyway I think his "conflict of interests" will finish him.
There's already been a hintette with Kellyanne spruiking Ivanka's fashion line.

True. But pretty much every day I see some new stupid thing he's done and everyone saying that's illegal, that's unconstitutional, he can be impeached for that, and NOTHING EVER GETS DONE.

It's very disheartening.

Quote: zooo @ 10th February 2017, 7:24 PM

Not really! There's always a few weirdos in every group. ;)

But 94% of black females and 80% of black males voted Hillary. Which is pretty strikingly decisive.

Oh yes, yes, yes!

Before anybody patronises me AGAIN about how the US system works, I understand perfectly well, but I still think it's undemocratic that a majority of the citizens voted one way and they get foisted on them a bloody loony whom the MINORITY voted in.

And, by the way, before Da Butt lumps me alongside people who're only complaining because they lost, let me say if the Americans, individually, had voted by a majority for Trump, I'd have accepted that. All right, I'd have despaired and have thought they were f**king lunatics, but I'd have accepted it.