I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,887

And what a great time to change the subject. What do we think about Jeremy Corbyn's chances of ever being Prime Minister?

Quote: zooo @ 11th February 2017, 2:53 PM

But to be honest one of the biggest American politics news stories I can even remember before all this was Dan Quayle misspelling potato.

Ah yes, another example of the media trying its damnedest to make a Republican look stupid. Did you know that Quayle only corrected the kid because the school had provided the vice president with a card listing all of the words and the infamous misspelling was printed on it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/nyregion/politics-how-do-you-spell-regret-one-man-s-take-on-it.html

My inner conspiracy theorist wouldn't be surprised if the misspelling was intentional, but the end result is that the narrative was established as truth: Dan Quayle is stupid. It doesn't matter that holds the same law degree as Barack Obama, him is a dummy. Case closed. Even people in far away Britainland know it. Republicans are stoopid, the Iraq War was illegal, and Donald Trump is a racist. So it is written. Playful had it exactly right: Tell a lie often enough and to some people it will become the truth.

Quote: Will Cam @ 11th February 2017, 3:08 PM

And what a great time to change the subject. What do we think about Jeremy Corbyn's chances of ever being Prime Minister?

Donald Trump managed to become president, so God only knows that anything is possible these days. Although the tide seems to be rising slightly in favor of more conservative politicians these days.

To be fair, I had no idea whether Dan Quayle was a republican or a democrat, so there's that.

No one I know in real life or online seems to actually like or support Corbyn.
But yes, these days any f**king thing can happen.

I still think Justin Trudeau should come and save us all. He's not perfect either, but he's the least unperfect politician I can think of at the moment.

Quote: Will Cam @ 11th February 2017, 3:08 PM

Corbyn seems to be the male equivalent of May . . . and even that's a stretch. If I saw them walking down the street together, I would either think they were a couple, or sisters.

If, as a democracy, we could vote anyone in who decided to stand, there are countless unqualified people (non politicians) who simply have better social and negotiating skills than either of them.

I agree with you. May is vile and Corbyn is a joke.

Just randomly seen the most mindblowingly bizarre thing . . .

. . . all other issues about him aside, negative or otherwise, this is just about the weirdest greeting I have ever witnessed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-handshakes_us_589e2d45e4b03df370d65e55

Now I hate a wet fish/weak handshake, preferring to hear my finger bones crunch, but I would recoil if anyone greeted me like this. The one on the news with Japan PM looked intimidating as if he was telling him "I'm in control you know" and reminding him not to forget it by jerking him back again, but now I don't know what to make of it at all after seeing with other people . . . especially in the clip with Mitt Romney, who looks visibly shaken as he doesn't quite know if he's trying to dance with him or yank his arm off. WTF?!

And that patronising patting . . . once he'd let go of me I think I'd 'pat' him in the chops . . .

:(:OEh?

He seems very keen to present himself as an alpha male (when he's anything but). I imagine someone once told him this handshake would make him seem superior or alpha in some way.
But it just makes him look a complete pranny.

I watched a documentary once years ago where he said he didn't like shaking hands with people when they meet.

Bleurgh! I can only say I've never met anybody from the Isle of Lewis who shook hands like that. So he didn't get it from his mother. SickSickSick

I drummed it into my 2 lads from an early age the importance of a firm handshake.

Quote: Will Cam @ 11th February 2017, 9:14 PM

I watched a documentary once years ago where he said he didn't like shaking hands with people when they meet.

Weirdo!

Probably realised they'd suss him for a chancer.

What, for watching documentaries?

:D

Think he'd struggle. Documentaries usually use more than a 500 word vocabulary. Laughing out loud

I'd love to play poker with him.

Don't be cruel. He'd weep big boy tears if you beat him.