Things that piss you off Page 1,271

Quote: Pingl @ July 9 2013, 10:25 AM BST

Good point, the colour of tomatoes worries me, far to red, never used to be that red, and whats with this leaving the stalks on, bloody pointless. I buy bread from my baker it goes hard within a day, if you buy that slightly slimy processed stuff it lasts forever, full of shit Sick

Actually bread is interesting stuff. It actually lasts until some mould spores manage to land on it and make it mouldy. The trick to stop it going hard is to keep the humidity level up. This is what the old-fashioned bread bins used to do.

There is a modern equivalent which I get from 99p stores, You get a box of bread bags. These are long fat poly bags into which a whole loaf will slide. Variously, some suggestions are seal the end others say just fold it over.

Personally I squeeze out excess air then clamp the end shut and then keep the whole thing in the fridge. the lifetime of the loaf, provided you don't eat it all quicker, will depend on how careful you are at minimising the chance of getting spores in the bag, by exposing only the end while you slice bits off. I've had Tiger loaves last a whole month, though 2-3 weeks is more likely.

It does have one snag, crisp loaves like Tiger Bread do share their internal moisture with the crust, so the crust does go soft, but cutting slices off and lightly toasting them returns the chrispness.

Quote: billwill @ July 9 2013, 3:58 PM BST

Actually bread is interesting stuff. It actually lasts until some mould spores manage to land on it and make it mouldy. The trick to stop it going hard is to keep the humidity level up. This is what the old-fashioned bread bins used to do.

There is a modern equivalent which I get from 99p stores, You get a box of bread bags. These are long fat poly bags into which a whole loaf will slide. Variously, some suggestions are seal the end others say just fold it over.

Personally I squeeze out excess air then clamp the end shut and then keep the whole thing in the fridge. the lifetime of the loaf, provided you don't eat it all quicker, will depend on how careful you are at minimising the chance of getting spores in the bag, by exposing only the end while you slice bits off. I've had Tiger loaves last a whole month, though 2-3 weeks is more likely.

It does have one snag, crisp loaves like Tiger Bread do share their internal moisture with the crust, so the crust does go soft, but cutting slices off and lightly toasting them returns the chrispness.

Does that chat up line ever work?

:D

Laughing out loud

:D

Quote: lofthouse @ July 9 2013, 5:58 PM BST

Nah, I usually abbreviate it to:

"Come up and see my bread collection"

Quote: billwill @ July 9 2013, 10:19 PM BST

"Come up and see my bread collection"

I had heard you like to butter up the ladies...

Quote: lofthouse @ July 9 2013, 5:58 PM BST

Well I;m harder than a month old baguette

Quote: billwill @ July 9 2013, 10:19 PM BST

"I'm a magic baker, one smile from and your knickers scone"

You filthy beast, but I like you.

I'm pissed off with being pissed off I'm going to try and just not let things get on my tits Rolling eyes

Quote: Pingl @ July 10 2013, 11:06 AM BST

I'm going to try and just not let things get on my tits Rolling eyes

The sacred oath of a page 3 girl

Quote: Pingl @ July 9 2013, 10:25 AM BST

the colour of tomatoes worries me, far to red,

Does that Ketch up line ever work?
Whistling nnocently

badumtish

Quote: Lee @ July 8 2013, 11:57 PM BST

Prechopped fresh veg. I mean there must be a market for it but c'mon people, you can chop an onion!

it's not so much onions, which are soft, but I have problems with carrot and turnip because of an arm problem, so pre-chopped stuff is ideal for making soup.

Butternut squash is a bitch to cut up.

I had butternut squash and bacon soup the other week, it was wonderful. Been searching the isles trying to find a shop version.