Newsjack - Series 7 Page 8

On the 'What does Newsjack want' question obviously it's difficult for us to say exactly what they're after from week to week. In previous Q&As they've warned people off harrowing stories like writing sketches about tragic accidents where people died. If you can find a non-offensive angle great but they're not going to broadcast something making fun of human tragedy.

The Royal breasts story probably doesn't fall into that category and they have done several royal sketches before (e.g. Royal wedding correspondent & Pippa Middleton papers). However the bigger problem is the 'Michael Jackson' effect. Occasionally there's one new story that absolutely dominates and they get sent hundreds of sketches about that. Given they're only going to do 1 (maybe 2) sketches on it the competition is quite tough.

Think on a previous Q&A they recommended you send write a sketch about a big news story and a sketch on a more obscure news story. Add that to the guidelines where they say use one of the prescribed features and you've got your three sketches for the week!

Quote: The Flaneur @ September 19 2012, 10:24 AM BST

I saw some stats that showed about 5% of submitters got work into each episode of NJ last year.

Here's hoping...see you at six o'clock this evening!

Some of us on here really have too much time on our hands:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/865354/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/865942/

But yes if it were purely random if you submitted you have about a 5% chance of getting *something* on for each episode.

You going to be there tonight? No idea what you look like but I'm told I look like my profile pic. (I used to be told I look like a younger version of my profile pic but...)

The Flaneur, I think it's best if you just walk around Broadcasting House screaming 'Mawhinney! Mawhinney!' like Alan Partridge would, until he responds.

Dan

That's some analysis! Very interesting. I won't be there, I hope you enjoy it. How much material do they record that doesn't make it into the final cut? I suppose we never know if we made the studio but not the finished show?

Yeah they email you to say you were recorded but cut before transmission (something that happened to me a few times last series)

Usually, the recording is about an hour total, which approximately 10-15 minutes of 'recorded but not used' sketches. That said, one episode last series must have had an hour's worth of material cos it did seem to go for ages.

You'll get a 'recorded but not broadcast' email if you did get that far. At least, you have done in previous series.

Dan

Just escaped the pub after a great recording of the show. Was nice to also bump into Justin Edwards and some of the script eds and producers of the show as we'd chosen the pub where the NJ non-com drinks tend to happen.

It looks like material recorded from Mr Stephen M and Mr Salisbury and of course Jamie 3 songs who'd spent the day with the team on Tuesday. Nothing for DbM or myself sadly.

Now to find my island in the dark after several glasses of wine :)

Alison

Quote: LippyAlison @ September 19 2012, 10:09 PM BST

Just escaped the pub after a great recording of the show. Was nice to also bump into Justin Edwards and some of the script eds and producers of the show as we'd chosen the pub where the NJ non-com drinks tend to happen.

It looks like material recorded from Mr Stephen M and Mr Salisbury and of course Jamie 3 songs who'd spent the day with the team on Tuesday. Nothing for DbM or myself sadly.

Now to find my island in the dark after several glasses of wine :)

Alison

:D My sketch was almost unrecognizable after the script eds had done their work. I won't complain though, as they made it funnier and better and I will unashamedly claim all the credit.

3songs had loads in. Well done!

For those not there, I can't remember all the sketches but I particularly liked the "Prince Albert's Shins photographed" sketch and the "Lady's biros" one. Don't know if they are by anyone on here?

Sounds good, people. Well done already! Very early hit rate for BCG!

Dan

Quote: David Salisbury @ September 19 2012, 10:20 PM BST

For those not there, I can't remember all the sketches but I particularly liked the "Prince Albert's Shins photographed" sketch and the "Lady's biros" one. Don't know if they are by anyone on here?

I wrote Prince Albert's Shins. (And when I wrote it I thought the topless duchess was an 'And Finally' story. Only after I'd submitted did I see the papers and realise it was the most important thing to have happened ever.)

I haven't heard if it made the cut yet, but thank you for remembering it and cheering me up after an otherwise glum day!

I'm not holding out much hope that my Andy Murray sponsorship, Bond low budget nor kids discussing the exams debacle got in...?

Quote: Big Jack @ September 20 2012, 9:55 AM BST

I'm not holding out much hope that my Andy Murray sponsorship, Bond low budget nor kids discussing the exams debacle got in...?

I don't recall any of those. Sorry BJ.

Quote: Alakazam @ September 19 2012, 11:20 PM BST

I wrote Prince Albert's Shins. (And when I wrote it I thought the topless duchess was an 'And Finally' story. Only after I'd submitted did I see the papers and realise it was the most important thing to have happened ever.)

I haven't heard if it made the cut yet, but thank you for remembering it and cheering me up after an otherwise glum day!

You won't hear about the cut till this evening (usually about 6ish). But I would be surprised if it missed out, it went down really well (but don't blame me if it isn't there - no guarantees! ) :)

I think they used it because, apart from being really funny it was
a. an oblique take on the story that didn't get too much in to the actual controversy
b. didn't directly insult any living royals
c. didn't contain boob jokes.
I think that's how you have to tackle these kind of stories. (Not that I could think of anything!)

Expect Andy Murray to be making a trip to Kirrin Island sometime soon...

Quote: Alakazam @ September 19 2012, 11:20 PM BST

I wrote Prince Albert's Shins.

Damn - I wrote a Queen Victorias ankles vox pop - guess I can cross that off the 'likely to be used list'!

(Still, congrats Alakazam - looking forward to hearing it!)

Prince Albert's Shins vs Queen Victoria's ankles - the margins between broadcast material and rejects are that slim people...

ha my sketch was about somebody trying to sell pics of prince philip's uhhhhhh magical wand ........ I don't think I got the tone for this newsjack business, still got a few laughs out of it myself anyway + well done to the folks who got used, anybody want to lend us a fiver ? :D