Newsjack - Series 7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r/features/submission-rules

Here you are. Same as before, but One liners have the earlier deadline of 4pm on Tuesdays.

Bring on the satire!

Tom Neenan has worked his way up to BBC contract writer from humble Newsjack beginnings. Read all about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/posts/Newsjack-A-Heroes-Journey

Here was producer Lyndsay Fenner's blog summing up series 6. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/posts/Newsjack-by-numbers

Dan

So...if your sketch doesn't make it into a show, do you need to resubmit it again if you feel it might be chosen at a later date, or would they keep it aside just in case there's a slot for it later in the series? The reason I'm asking is...I wouldn't want to submit something that's not used initially, then submit it somewhere else, only to find out it will be used at a later date. Oh dear...this sounds complicated. If anyone understands what I just typed, please help? Alternatively, please phone my nurse, because I'm not entirely sure she's doing her job properly.

If it doesn't get used that week, it won't be used at all. They start from scratch the following week.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 1 2012, 12:42 PM BST

If it doesn't get used that week, it won't be used at all. They start from scratch the following week.

Dan

So, if I sent it in again, they'd say...wtf is she sending this shit in again for?

Yes, exactly. Don't send it again -- rewrite it and send to News Revue and/or The Treason Show instead.

It's good practice to write more stuff rather than polish your turds, so to speak.

Dan

I'm really looking forward to series seven.

So far, my Newsjack record looks like this:

Series 5: 0 credits
Series 6: 1 one-liner

Thus, my goal this time around is to try and get two credits (including hopefully at least one sketch).

As a result of writing material for Live from Kirrin Island over the summer months, I definitely feel a lot sharper going into this series, than I did going into series six.

Quote: groovydude89 @ September 1 2012, 1:01 PM BST

(snipped)

As a result of writing material for Live from Kirrin Island over the summer months, I definitely feel a lot sharper going into this series, than I did going into series six.

Hey that's great. Just what I wanted to hear :) as that's certainly part of the purpose of the Kirrin Island project.

As it happens Live from Kirrin Island has an unintended clash with Newsjack for our next episode. I think this is more of a worry for KIPOD than Newsjack! Live from KI #2 gets recorded at the end of September (calling notice on BCG soon) and we had understood NJ Series 7 wouldn't commence until October or beyond.

On the upside there'll be plenty of discarded topical material from the first or second NJ episode than can be reworked for KIPOD. But we have to be careful about the week in which we clash since BCG writers might contribute to both. We'll put some advice in the calling note.

Alison

The first deadline is the day after the Great North Run - I had planned on lying in bed and crying about my soar legs for a week guess I'll have to be sat at my laptop instead

Quote: Joyce @ September 1 2012, 12:33 PM BST

So...if your sketch doesn't make it into a show, do you need to resubmit it again if you feel it might be chosen at a later date, or would they keep it aside just in case there's a slot for it later in the series? The reason I'm asking is...I wouldn't want to submit something that's not used initially, then submit it somewhere else, only to find out it will be used at a later date. Oh dear...this sounds complicated. If anyone understands what I just typed, please help? Alternatively, please phone my nurse, because I'm not entirely sure she's doing her job properly.

It's a topical show. If it doesn't get in first time it probably is no longer topical.

I can't seem to find anywhere to listen to old Newsjack episodes. Can anyone point me to a link on the net?

Quote: Feeoree @ August 31 2012, 9:29 PM BST

Here you are. Same as before, but One liners have the earlier deadline of 4pm on Tuesdays.

Noooooo! I'm still at work at 4! Last series I'd be editing my last minute additions/changes on my phone before sending while I walked to the train station. Now I'll have to find a reason to be at my computer from 3:30 instead...

Quote: Poirot @ September 5 2012, 2:57 PM BST

I can't seem to find anywhere to listen to old Newsjack episodes. Can anyone point me to a link on the net?

Not aware of anywhere that hosts old episodes, however as the show is offered as a podcast so several of us here probably have copies of recent episodes... (or you know all of them) so you'll probably find one somehow...

Quote: Poirot @ September 5 2012, 2:57 PM BST

I found that there were some complete episodes on Spotify and YouTube - not entirely legit, I'm guessing...

As it's the start of Week 0 of Newsjack I thought this thread deserved a bump.

That and to say to if you're new to all this please do read their submission rules and writing tips. From doing a bit of reading / editing on Kirrin Island it is amazing how many people don't. (*)

So give yourself an immediate advantage by making sure the first reaction on reading your sketch isn't (1) Grr! Why have they made my life twice as difficult as it needs to be or (2) Grr! They couldn't even be bothered to read the few hundred words I wrote as a brief yet expect me to extend the same curtesy to their work.

As I said doing Kirrin Island really has made me feel much more sympathy for the NJ producers / script editors.

(*) You can follow Simon Mayhew-Archer's twitter feed to see just how much a BBC producer loves people not reading the guidelines

Has anyone started writing material for episode one yet?