Gavin & Stacey Page 50

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 12 2009, 12:11 AM GMT

It's become a little bit more obvious to me why people like it - the setting is very familiar to most people and it's a bit soapy - and people like soaps.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ December 12 2009, 3:38 PM GMT

Bryn is like my Uncle Steve, so I enjoy watching this very much.

I rest my case. Thanks Andrea!

I can't say I really know people who I think are just like Bryn.

My uncle is amazed by anything technological. He went on for days about his new GPS and just how did it know where he was?

Quote: Aldeem @ December 11 2009, 5:52 PM GMT

Increasingly I feel uneasy watching this show. it seems to hinge on either the Essex lot going to Wales or the Welsh lot going to Essex.

Yeah, I think that is a weakness with the premise that is just now starting to show itself.

I'm still enjoying Gavin & Stacey... but does anyone else think that Nessa has started to become quite unlikeable?

Mark, it's lovely to see you post and hear your opinions. Please do it more often - this is your f**king website after all...

Quote: Mark @ December 13 2009, 2:43 AM GMT

Yeah, I think that is a weakness with the premise that is just now starting to show itself.

I'm still enjoying Gavin & Stacey... but does anyone else think that Nessa has started to become quite unlikeable?

My feeling exactly. She always used to be funny and I know she always had an underlying dark side but so far this series she's just been an absolute c**t to everyone. I guess it's because of the situation she's ended up in and it's supposed to show how unhappy she is but it seems like a complete character change.

Quote: Mark @ December 13 2009, 2:43 AM GMT

I know why people would say that, but I can't say I find her being a bigger and bigger arse anything other than funny myself. And I wouldn't say it's a character change, more a charater development. She was always a bit like that, now just more explicitly so; characters change and develop. The whole bit of her dumping her baby on Gwen, regardless of what Gwen nwas doing, really had me chuckling.

I've never got into G&S, but a few clips I've seen of the new series look quite funny. I may have to go back to the start and watch a few episodes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 11:51 AM GMT

I know why people would say that, but I can't say I find her being a bigger and bigger arse anything other than funny myself. And I wouldn't say it's a character change, more a charater development. She was always a bit like that, now just more explicitly so; characters change and develop. The whole bit of her dumping her baby on Gwen, regardless of what Gwen nwas doing, really had me chuckling.

I may be reading too much into it (not for the first time), but do you think the writers (especially Ruth Jones) may have deliberately made Nessa increasingly more selfish and less likeable in order to try and reflect that she's not a happy bunny? That she's fearful of having made the wrong choices and is therefore going further down the "self will" road, in order to try and mask her dissatisfaction with life?

Only a theory, of course...

I will have a go...which of the three series would you recommend as funniest?
tks. LK

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 2:47 PM GMT

I may be reading too much into it (not for the first time), but do you think the writers (especially Ruth Jones) may have deliberately made Nessa increasingly more selfish and less likeable in order to try and reflect that she's not a happy bunny? That she's fearful of having made the wrong choices and is therefore going further down the "self will" road, in order to try and mask her dissatisfaction with life?

Only a theory, of course...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 3:27 PM GMT

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Sorry for stealing your thunder then, Matthew, but one of us had to say it.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:28 PM GMT

Sorry for stealing your thunder then, Matthew, but one of us had to say it.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 7 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

Isn't it supposed to be because she wants Smithy but won't admit it?

Then we were both beaten to the punch! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 3:36 PM GMT

Then we were both beaten to the punch! :D

Bugger. Though I would point out that my explanation was more protracted and contrived. Smarmy

Mine was originally an in-depth, eloquent and insightful deconstruction of the narrative aiming to isolate and evaluate the crucial events within the text that ultimately and inevitably contributed to Nessa's transformation, and their relevance as implicit references to self within the overall narrative structure, but I decided to edit.