The Show What You Wrote - series 2 Page 3

I wonder how long it takes before we hear anything? Any previous applicants know? I hate the prospect of checking my emails for the next four months.

I didn't hear anything until just before the record of the show that my sketch was in. (I wasn't asked to do any rewrites.) I found out from someone who attended the record that my sketch had been rewritten by someone else. (I'm probably not the only person this has happened to.)

Then my sketch was cut from the broadcast.

I'm hoping this time that even if I don't make the show proper, I'll get some feedback and be asked to do a rewrite.

Thanks that's useful to know.

Argh! Seven done (two really shit ones already dumped). Suddenly realise that they do mostly involve animals, one way or another. Hmmm.

Quote: V Riddoch @ 25th February 2014, 10:11 PM GMT

Argh! Seven done (two really shit ones already dumped). Suddenly realise that they do mostly involve animals, one way or another. Hmmm.

Sketches? Or home movies?

Quote: Krusty @ 25th February 2014, 9:34 PM GMT

Thanks that's useful to know.

No problems at all. As I said, I'm not sure whether I was the exception to the rule or not with hearing. Maybe others have different experiences?

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 25th February 2014, 8:30 PM GMT

I didn't hear anything until just before the record of the show that my sketch was in.

From comments on here and from other writers I spoke to in person*, I got the impression that that was standard.

* It has to be off other people as I failed to make a recording script for series 1... I still cry myself to sleep some nights.

I'm hoping this time that even if I don't make the show proper, I'll get some feedback and be asked to do a rewrite.

Talking to Jon Hunter (the series 1 script editor) after the final recording he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that rewrites dropped off as there were so many sketches it was an impossible amount to manage.

So episode 1 had quite a few requests for rewrites sent out, episode 2 a few (I gather from BCG threads at the time) and I think it stopped before all of episode 2 was initially processed. Basically reading/commenting/awaiting a rewrite and then rereading/editing was a lot more work than Jon just rewriting them himself... especially as even after a rewrite he'd probably have to tweak most sketches anyway.

They may have reduced the number of sketches, but I'd imagine that it will still be too big a job this time (as I'd imagine the number of sketches that show enough promise for a rewrite may be roughly similar even with the reduced limits).

So I wouldn't expect any feedback until the show is recorded/edited or even broadcast (as the final edit may be mere hours away from broadcast for all we know).

Hmmm - I suppose I should really get back to writing sketches instead of posting here.... :)

As JD said some people did get asked for rewrites but this dropped off as the series went on. I think I was the only person I knew who was asked to do a rewrite for the fourth and final episode (although there may have been others outside BCG).

Didn't help me at all as it got dropped from the recording!

Basically you may hear something before, you may not. The suspense / tension will be around until they actually broadcast the thing.

When they say:

Please include the episode that you're submitting for in the email subject line, along with your name, as well as marking this clearly on the title page of your sketch. i.e. - 'Science and Nature - Sketch Title - Carl Cooper'.

Does that mean they want a separate page containing just those details, before the beginning of each sketch?

So they might be in touch asking you to rewrite it several times, then drop it anyway. Sounds like an exercise in masochism to me.

No
Just put it on a header

email etc to go on every page.

So with less than 22.5 hrs left (and that's only 1350 minutes, or 81k seconds) do I spend my time frantically:

a) Editing my sketches with no idea whether I'm making them more or less attractive to the beeb;
b) Trying to work out what the beeb is actually looking for, even though I know I'll never know for sure despite having a niggling feeling that everyone else who's submitting does know;
or
c) Work out how many minutes and seconds are left til the deadline then post about it?

That's right: d) all of the above.

Good luck all.

I have about 8 sketches ready to submit but I always struggle with formatting it correctly. I can see myself wrestling my way through this into the wee hours.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 27th February 2014, 1:35 PM GMT

So with less than 22.5 hrs left (and that's only 1350 minutes, or 81k seconds)

Good job you said that. I had midnight in my head for some reason...

Dan