The Show What You Wrote - series 2

Well I guess it's time it gets a thread since the writers brief has now gone up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r1s2h/features/about

The themes for each episode are:

1) Science and Nature
2) Geography
3) Art and Literature
4) Sport and Leisure

These topics are there to help get you started but try and think differently about how you approach them - the first idea that springs to mind is something lots of people are likely to think of. We're looking for sketches that use the topics in lots of different ways.

So a Science and Nature sketch could be about plants, animals, microbes, ecosystems, insects, the human body, space, prehistoric life, evolution, medicine, experiments, the solar system, nutty professors, electricity, test tubes, mould...

Geography could involve sketches about explorers, oceans, travel, globalisation, mountains, countries, cultures, a sense of direction, school lessons, maps, astronomy, landscapes, agriculture, climate. Or lots of other things we haven't mentioned.

You see what we're getting at. Be imaginative! But remember to try and keep your sketches brief - the funniest sketches are no longer than three pages.

They're only after sketches - up to 3 per show. Deadline is noon 28th Feb.

They also ask for you to not resubmit anything from last series (no matter how well you think it fits).

Recording in June/July (in Manchester) and due to be broadcast from August.

Good luck all!

Thanks for the info JD!

Eh, is it me or are the categories the same as in the trivial pursuits game that I haven't played in about 10 years!

Quote: Rexer @ 3rd February 2014, 8:12 PM GMT

Eh, is it me or are the categories the same as in the trivial pursuits game that I haven't played in about 10 years!

I mentioned that in another thread here.

Series one had history covered, so, iirc, the only Genus category left is Entertainment.

Using Triv categories sort of makes sense - the categories were picked as they more or less cover all of human existence in 6 easy to comprehend pigeon holes. If it works for a quiz it works for TSWYW.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 3rd February 2014, 11:15 PM GMT

I mentioned that in another thread here.

Where's that Dave?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 3rd February 2014, 11:21 PM GMT

Where's that Dave?

In the Newsjack thread https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/29520/

Sample episode from last series available here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s0ys3

Thanks for that Winger.
How are people getting on with the sketches? Must say I'm generating less ideas this time around as the themes are very broad, I've got about four almost done and a few other ideas floating around but not exactly swimming in inspiration.

I'm also struggling a bit to get ideas, I got three sketches finished, but am finding it hard to generate any more.

I sent one, might send more if the inspiration comes.

I've found it a lot easier than last year, largely because the submission window isn't running concurrently with Newsjack.

I've got twelve sketches written, but they all need a lot of polishing before they can be submitted.

Here's a thing about writing for this show. If you could get sending us some more funny sketches, that'd be great. You've got about a week left. Thanks.

http://bbc.in/1oSqqQI

That's a great link damfino, thanks for that. And here I was not five minutes ago hung up on what to write for Geography.

@Shandonbelle. I've completed three sketches for Science and Nature and have four works in progress between Science and Nature and Art and Literature. This year I'm trying to write as much good material as possible and on Sunday I'll start to prune the weeds, polish the silver and sieve for gold.

Quote: Mike Yeoman @ 19th February 2014, 11:02 PM GMT

on Sunday I'll start to prune the weeds, polish the silver and sieve for gold.

Good idea, just be careful you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater Mike ;)

so far... one for geography and one for sport and leisure. must try harder. :(