Newsjack - Series 9 Page 30

Sent mine about 12.00 hoping to straddle the send them in early and leave it to the last minute crowds.

I found the news really hard work this week too, only managed a handful of one liners, although I did do a tsar one I quite like... not that I'll be holding my breath...

Quote: Florence @ October 15 2013, 4:13 PM BST

I found the news really hard work this week too, only managed a handful of one liners, although I did do a tsar one I quite like... not that I'll be holding my breath...

I've told you about wishing on a Tsar!

I was born under a wondering Mary Portas. About shoes, I think. Sorry.

This week my sketches were Cameron/Boris/iceman and an interview with the US man who went missing 30 years ago, was declared dead, turned up again and now they won't reverse his "dead" status. And a news item about the violin from the titanic that is very very cheesy.

Quote: blahblah @ October 15 2013, 3:38 PM BST

Mine are sent off too. Relistened to last weeks show. I have to say the muppets joke deserved more than it got, it was very good.

I loved it, too. Plus I had to explain to my 13-year-old what an enema was, so it was also educational.

I sent two sketches - on police being issued with video cameras and workwear tips for clowns. And a few one-liners.

I hope to go tomorrow. Anyone else?

As ever I'll be at the recording tonight. There will probably be a little group of us lurking furthest from the door so if you're around do say hi.

Viv is that photo of you? Sorry to ask but you're never sure on here!

Quote: StephenM @ October 16 2013, 12:27 PM BST

As ever I'll be at the recording tonight. There will probably be a little group of us lurking furthest from the door so if you're around do say hi.

Viv is that photo of you? Sorry to ask but you're never sure on here!

Yes, at least until tomorrow (I've decided to stop fighting nature and give in to the grey).
I will mostly be wearing owls.

Will look out for you folks.

I was going alone but definitely can't make it tonight.

Dammit, I want to be part of the BCG gang!

:(

Have a great time those who are going. Wait til you hear my hilarious* old people's art exhibition and naval defence cuts sketches.

Mike.

*if they actually get chosen and the script editors have worked their magic.

I'm going next week... Anyone else? And I do look like my photo, apart from the fact that I'm in full colour.

Quote: Bonzo @ October 16 2013, 2:07 PM BST

I do look like my photo, apart from the fact that I'm in full colour.

Quote: V Riddoch @ October 16 2013, 12:47 PM BST

I've decided to stop fighting nature and give in to the grey

Is there some little know forum rule that avatars and real-life beings must have a mix of colour and monochrome?

Do I need to alter my photo to B&W?

Hmmm.... actually I'm from a goth/industrial background so tend to wear a lot of black and bleach my hair, so maybe I'm within the rules.

I have submitted this weeks as a run up for next week, when I next have tickets.

So this week's submissions don't matter and I won't mind if they are not used.

In other news, I will not be checking my email at 6pm tomorrow.

Thanks to those of you that responded to my last comment, I have read, and would thank you personally, but I don't know where you live.

I was a bit grumpy when I posted it. I had an exam coming up (Just finished my 5th year of an OU degree) and I had got to the point of "Well up your arse, here I am spending all this time on gags when I should be revising". Then I realised Newsjack weren't forcing me to do it, nor is it their fault my jokes were about as funny as soup.

Anyway, exam done now, which was 3 hours of joy, so whacked in a few one liners this week and we'll see what happens. My favourite ending with the sound effect of spoons. In my head it was hilarious. You had to be there.

Pity it is the final week this week, they should make it a longer feature; 8 weeks long perhaps. No, 7.

Quote: StephenM @ October 11 2013, 9:02 AM BST

I fear rejection is never easy and you just have to develop a thick skin with these things. Getting 3 things rejected from the BBC is no big thing (they've rejected tonnes of my stuff over the years) and the odds of getting on shows like Newsjack and TSWYW are just a few %. (If it was pure random luck...)

Stick that Kipling poem up on your wall to remind you not to get too weighed down by failure and try writing for lots of different things. The odds are more in your favour for things like Kirrin Island, Treason and Newsrevue and Kirrin Island does give you feedback on your writing (*)

Sometimes it's just a matter of taste and style, stuff that one person rejects another will love. This is will become apparent if you ever send sketches to both Treason & Newsrevue.

So keep going and try writing for lots of different things and different people to see how you get on.

[And don't worry about the prostitutes thing - on here we have incredibly thin skins when people might be slagging us off and we try to use humour to deflect that]

(*) Need to declare an interest - I'm a script editor on Kirrin Island hence plugging it.

Stephen, how do I get access to Kirrin Island for a listen? #Lazy

Quote: Judgement Dave @ October 16 2013, 2:23 PM BST

Is there some little know forum rule that avatars and real-life beings must have a mix of colour and monochrome?

Do I need to alter my photo to B&W?

The B/W was better at hiding my spots.
:D

Hope the exam went well, Buckethandle.

Quote: Buckethandle @ October 16 2013, 3:26 PM BST

Pity it is the final week this week, they should make it a longer feature; 8 weeks long perhaps. No, 7.

Not sure if you mean the final chance to submit is coming up or the final broadcast. Tonight they record episode 5 so there's still this weekend to get more submissions in.

Stephen, how do I get access to Kirrin Island for a listen? #Lazy

Some of it's available here at the BCG https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/live_from_kirrin_island/

And, although it's only every few months, it's well worth sending them something as they do give (IMO very useful) feedback on all sketches received.