Newsjack - Series 9 Page 27

Quote: sootyj @ October 10 2013, 3:48 PM BST

Personally I'd say the chances of selling a whole series as is, is Lottery winning unlikely.
You're best of coming up with one perfect sitcom episode, with plans for a seasons worth of episodes.

In many ways you're looking for coming up with a killer first 5 minutes.

Thanks Sooty, yes, I realise it is very unlikely to get anywhere, but I really loved doing it. I started writing a second one and actually stopped because I didn't have the same passion for the 'sit'. Back to Newsjack though and I would like to add... Newsjack remains one of the very few opportunities for new non commissioned writers and I do appreciate the chance, however slim, to get a credit with them.

Anyone had the email yet? :)

Completely agree on that, sounds similar to the advice I got was never write episode one.

Because if you write episode 4 then you show tour characters are strong enough to stand repetition and not need introduction.

More the effort to write 6 episodes you can write one 6 times as good. Or 3 diferent ones with more chance of hitting a theme a producers interested in

Quote: Hennell @ October 10 2013, 2:23 PM BST

>
Damn, guess that means my 'BBC Shakespeare' sketch(s) are out.

How did the sketch go?

Quote: Monkeywithtypewriter @ October 10 2013, 4:07 PM BST

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds juggling work, comedy sketch writing and small people a challenge. I remember one of the script editors saying when he started submitting to Newsjack he would write six sketches and only submit the best three. :S

I wrote two sketches and submitted the best three.

I've had some sitcom and comedy/drama ideas (a category causing some confusion) for about 10 years. I waited for the kids to get big enough.
As Homer says - what with TV and the internet they practically raise themselves.
;)

You wrote 2 but submitted 3?

Isn't that magic?

Quote: Monkeywithtypewriter @ October 10 2013, 4:07 PM BST

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds juggling work, comedy sketch writing and small people a challenge. I remember one of the script editors saying when he started submitting to Newsjack he would write six sketches and only submit the best three. :S

This worked for James Kettle, he became a writer, then a script ed and has since moved on.

It didn't work for me the series I tried it, and I had more successful series just getting three written per weekend.

I now have the small child syndrome and have failed to get credit this or last series despite submitting three sketches every ep.

Routine is now: come up with solid ideas on Friday and Saturday (ie keep going over and over and over in my head), write them on Sunday night from 8pm onwards (when little one has gone to bed). A few of us send sketches around to sanity-check each other on Sunday evening/Monday morning (for with less-structured working hours!) to absolutely no avail yet this series! I would suggest others do this if you can pair/trio up as at least you have each other to check you're not writing nonsense. And two/three writers are always better than one, especially with these sorts of deadlines.

Funnily enough, now I have a kid, it's easier to come up with a sketch than it was when I had all weekend to come up with something! Must be something to do with the mindset of being a parent now: just get it done!

Rather than reading all the stories in all the papers, I'm better suited to picking four or five stories and brainstorming till I come up with a good idea. Admittedly, this is a lot easier after nine series.

Dan

I think never over stretch yourself or go for a goal just because it's a goal.
If you can write 9 in rough and work up the best 3 great, if you can only write 2, then write the very best 2 you can.

It's doubtful they'll use more than one or at most two of yours in a week.

So all you're doing is giving yourself more chances.

Like dan I spend friday and sat coming up with premises and writing joke webs then write them ob sundays

Writer's list is up:

Alex Clissold-Jones

Alexander Perkins

Andrew Blair

Andy Wolton

Brennan Reece

Carl Jones

Dan McKee

Danny Antrobus

Derek Thompson

Eleanor Green

Gabby Hutchinson Crouch

Gary Abbott

George White

Grainne Maguire

James Brook

James Bugg

Jamie Gladden

John Connor

Josh Cummings

Kev Core

Murray James

Nick Dunleavy

Owen Seddon & Emlyn Williams

Patrick Lawless

Paul Hennell

Peter Brush

Rob Marshall

Stefan Arif

Steve Holford

Tom Neenan

Vivienne Riddoch

nothing for me. well done to those who made it

Well done all who made it this week.

I see Steve Sunshine is on there for 3 weeks in a row!

And also a few familiar names on there - well done one and all. It was a good recording last night so can be pleased to something on that show.

Re. writing this series I've not been able to put as much time into as I like. I read papers on Saturday/ Sunday and spend the day thinking up premises and ideas. Then try to write those up on Sunday night / Monday morning. It does generally take several hours to write then edit.

Although I might not get stuff on I think it's time well spent as ( a) practise and (b) when you come back to those sketches in 6 months time there's some nice stuff in there you can rework.

[Btw who on earth made ( a ) a smiley thing!!!]

Well I just got my first 'recorded but cut' email.

Did I remember correctly that they'll normally say what was recorded if I ask nicely - or am I better not asking?

Nothing on there from me. Well done those who were successful.

Yowzers. My name's on that writers list. First time this series.

Nothing for me...

Well done to everyone who got on (or recorded then cut).

Looking forward to the show later.