Newsjack - Series 9 Page 29

I fear rejection is never easy and you just have to develop a thick skin with these things. Getting 3 things rejected from the BBC is no big thing (they've rejected tonnes of my stuff over the years) and the odds of getting on shows like Newsjack and TSWYW are just a few %. (If it was pure random luck...)

Stick that Kipling poem up on your wall to remind you not to get too weighed down by failure and try writing for lots of different things. The odds are more in your favour for things like Kirrin Island, Treason and Newsrevue and Kirrin Island does give you feedback on your writing (*)

Sometimes it's just a matter of taste and style, stuff that one person rejects another will love. This is will become apparent if you ever send sketches to both Treason & Newsrevue.

So keep going and try writing for lots of different things and different people to see how you get on.

[And don't worry about the prostitutes thing - on here we have incredibly thin skins when people might be slagging us off and we try to use humour to deflect that]

(*) Need to declare an interest - I'm a script editor on Kirrin Island hence plugging it.

Quote: Buckethandle @ October 11 2013, 8:43 AM BST

Hi,

Sorry I said everyone was prostitutes. I didn't mean it like that.

But if any of you are, please send me your menu and price list.

Very interesting reading all your comments over the last day. I've tried twice at writing for Newsjack, and I did one for the 2525 Matt Lucas thingumpty, and if I'm honest, how do you keep your peckers up?

How long do you keep going before you realise you might be one of the crap ones on Britain's Got Talent? Am I one of the crap ones? Do I have to practice slagging Amanda Holden off? I don't want to, she has nice legs :(

Is three efforts too quick to lose heart? Am I being a prima donna?
I am aren't I?

Like to what StephenM says, he speaks wise words.

You need to get a thick skin: it can take ages to get anywhere, but the more you write, the better you'll get.

[* I am also a script ed on Kirrin Island, but at least you know that you will get feedback from there, because him and me are 2/3rds of the team that do it!]

Congrats to SteveSunshine, 3 one-liners is no mean feat! Congrats!

Dan

Back in the conversation! Have been working solid sub-editing an accountancy mag by day, a plumbing mag by night. Living the dream.

Well done to everyone who got recorded on Wednesday - and celebratory fancy handshake to Steve Sunshine. Wow! Three in one!

I got a one-liner in - the Venting Machine one about avoiding the problem of pouring more white wine into a glass than red by drinking it straight from the box (you can guess who red that one out). Actually, my original had 'bottle', but the edited version was much better.

This was my first legit one-liner (last week's was the first line of my sketch used in another). I followed StephenM's advice and submitted them earlier than usual - 9am on Tuesday rather than the usual 3ish. Heed the words of the wise man.

It's been interesting reading the conversations about length of time. Like many of you I'm juggling work and family, though as Swerytd points out this can serve to concentrate the mind.

What Monkeywithtypewriter says about going back to sketches later definitely works for me. I also work as a freelance feature writer and I always write far better if I'm able to work on something over several days than if I'm on a shift and have to do it in one.

Because I'm so short of time I tend to start looking for stories around the middle of the week now. This is of course a bit of a risk, but if it's not a major story then there's a good chance it will still be fresh enough the following week. And then there are the stories that you know are going to happen before they do. I check with Nostradamus. I'm joking. For example, the Grand Theft Auto release date was of course known ahead of time, so it had been on my mind already (although it wasn't until the Saturday evening that I came up with the Archive angle). And from last week, Morrissey's book publication date (still didn't help me get my 'Morrissey does Aesop's Fables' sketch on, though, did it?).

In the end, though, it's all about that killer premise, as David Salisbury points out in his excellent blog http://www.davidsalisbury.org.uk/

Viv

I also agree that having limited time does focus the mind. Daughter is watching My Parents Are Aliens and I've just plotted my 2 sketches and written a one liner that I'm really pleased with. I'll flesh out the sketches tonight when she's in bed!

Hi chaps and ladychaps,

Just after a bit of advice, if you'd be so kind. When you submit your one-liners, how do you set them out? Do you just bullet-point them, or break them up as Headlines, vents, etc? Also, should the vents be set out like script dialogue? like:

CHARACTER insert witty dialogue here

Thanks

Quote: andysteph81 @ October 13 2013, 12:50 PM BST

Hi chaps and ladychaps,

Just after a bit of advice, if you'd be so kind. When you submit your one-liners, how do you set them out? Do you just bullet-point them, or break them up as Headlines, vents, etc? Also, should the vents be set out like script dialogue? like:

Thanks

Just speaking for myself, I use the same script format as a sketch and instead of a CHARACTER, I simply write INTRO / JACKAPP / CORRECTION depending on what it is.

Then if I have a JACKAPP that I think should be read in a certain voice I put it in brackets before the dialogue;

JACKAPP: [OLD LADY] Insert witty dialogue here.

That seems to work for me, plus when it's in that format I find myself trying to get the one-liners as short as possible to fit more on the one page, because I go for 'sling as much sh*t as you can at the wall and something'll stick method' of submissions.

Quote: Buckethandle @ October 11 2013, 8:43 AM BST

Very interesting reading all your comments over the last day. I've tried twice at writing for Newsjack, and I did one for the 2525 Matt Lucas thingumpty, and if I'm honest, how do you keep your peckers up?

How long do you keep going before you realise you might be one of the crap ones on Britain's Got Talent? Am I one of the crap ones? Do I have to practice slagging Amanda Holden off? I don't want to, she has nice legs :(

Is three efforts too quick to lose heart? Am I being a prima donna?
I am aren't I?

It can be disheartening at times, but you'll learn to get over it. You just have to keep trying.

I've been submitting since the 4th series and still find it diffcult to meet the 'tone' of Newsjack, I once had a one-liner on and I felt it was my weakest one of the bunch [that week].

It's far too early to be losing heart. Just keep at it.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 10 2013, 11:16 PM BST

I think I got 3 jokes in tonights episode.
All news intros.
That was a very pleasant surprise.

That's outstanding!
Well done.

Cheers Ben,
I submitted some one liners last week in bullet points and it didn't look right. I know 'content is king' but it wouldn't hurt to make my format as easy to follow as possible so I'll be following your advice.

Just sent off 2 sketches and a news item. :)

Quote: andysteph81 @ October 13 2013, 12:50 PM BST

Hi chaps and ladychaps,

Thanks

There isn't a set format for quickies like this; as long as it's clear and fits on one page you should be fine. I put sub-headings (VENTS, CORRECTIONS) in if there is space but I don't think it matters. If you need a vent to be said by a certain character then say so (e.g. OLD MAN) but otherwise let the words do the talking. Good luck.

Page of one-liners sent off to meet its fiery doom.

It's a bit like sending a child off to its first day of school, all full of hope and anticipation. Only to have it come back a couple of days later with two black eyes and missing its mobile phone.

One liners sent :D

Mine are sent off too. Relistened to last weeks show. I have to say the muppets joke deserved more than it got, it was very good.

Also sent one liners - probably never to be heard or seen again.

Quote: blahblah @ October 15 2013, 3:38 PM BST

Mine are sent off too. Relistened to last weeks show. I have to say the muppets joke deserved more than it got, it was very good.

Why thank you :$ :)
At least it got on, so that's enough for me.

One liners away
(I don't follow the send them early advice, I often barely get them in before the the deadline)
Found the news a bit trickier this week, it seemed harder work than usual

Quote: blahblah @ October 15 2013, 3:38 PM BST

You're dead right - a fantastic joke! Also I liked Steve Jobs' garage, 'unable to install Windows'. Great.

Sent two sketches only, and may not make it to the recording this week.

Mike.