Status report Page 5,732

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 25th December 2014, 10:56 PM GMT

I read an article somewhere that Ade he was asked, but thought a talking heads with clips type documentary wasn't a fitting way to tribute Rik, so declined to be interviewed. I think that's fair enough.

But I'm not quite sure what he thinks would be an appropriate tribute. I hope Ade saw the Man Down Christmas special. Now that was an appropriate Rik Mayall tribute.

No Nigel Planer as well. Instead we got Lenny Henry(!) and Michael Palin (!!), that made not much sense to me.
Ruby Wax and the woman who played Vyvyan's mum in The Young Ones were a bit more appropriate. And then Ben Elton, well...that's not saying much, he'd even do a show to commemorate me if that guaranteed him publicity.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 26th December 2014, 10:23 AM GMT

Agree that appearing an a festive edition of an anarchic sitcom would be the best way to remember his genius.

Yes, when so many key-personalities refuse to take part in the tribute show, your suggestion would have made the most sense. But the BBC preferred the more popular and glamourous way.

Rik and Ade 'left' the BBC on bad terms didn't they?

The comedy controller of the day axed Bottom series 4 much to Riks fury

He was very angry I recall

Ben went running earlier in the rain and he got a stitch.

He doesn't know why as he'd left it two hours since eating. He managed to get through it with some deep breathing.

He continued to get soaking wet though.

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th December 2014, 1:20 PM GMT

Rik and Ade 'left' the BBC on bad terms didn't they?

The comedy controller of the day axed Bottom series 4 much to Riks fury

He was very angry I recall

It did all feel a little low key, Rik had deffo moved away from the Beeb of late

Ben has just paid £99.00 for 6 months car tax! He's glad that he'll be selling it soon!

On the bright side, the new car he'll be getting is just £20 per year to tax.

Good on yer Ben and you will be unique as you don't see many Robin Reliants on the road these days.

End of a short break in Edinburgh. Can't believe the number of beggars on the streets. Also, big broad streets but you wait hours for the green man then only get halfway across the road before he goes. Apart from that, a great place and enjoyed the tram.

Ben got up out of his chair last night and the top of his foot was extremely painful for the rest of the evening.

Much better now, but still a hint of soreness.

Instep.........which you are now? ;)

Quote: keewik @ 29th December 2014, 11:08 PM GMT

End of a short break in Edinburgh. Can't believe the number of beggars on the streets. Also, big broad streets but you wait hours for the green man then only get halfway across the road before he goes. Apart from that, a great place and enjoyed the tram.

Is that The Green Man as written about in folk literature?

Seriously though, Edinburgh sounds very much like London in all of those respects. I guess I'll have to journey back there next week. Wail.

Very quiet day at work, but I'm soooooooooo tired.

Happy New Year everyone!

Ben has a bottle of champagne chilling for making some cocktails with later. A curry is also cooking away to make the perfect evening.

"Stuck on Westminster Bridge. Loads of people screaming that they want to get on or off it. Police won't allow either so the hysteria is worsening - and Mandelson's fireworks are pathetic. Won't do this again". 1999-2000. It was the last of the NYE party years. I've kept to my word and am having a quiet night in.