Status report Page 5,697

Do we have a DIY thread? if not, I'm counting on you to start one Hercules, I need never Google 'why did my rawplug disappear into the plaster' again ;)

Actually HGT I do have a rose. A thick brown cable extends from the hole in it and there are two wires inside the cable which are poking out of the end of the cable. One brown and one blue. Each is attached to a light bulb which doesn't work. I keep the switch on the wall permanently off for safety reasons as I don't understand the problem. All electric in the home is switched off if I go away using a switch in the larder.

Before all this, I had a lampshade with a bulb and it did work - and for many years. It is a wiring problem that has developed and not a faulty bulb because I've tried many bulbs with it since the problem occurred and none of those have worked. They are the old style ones because I made sure I had a lifetime's supply.

Eh?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 4:33 PM BST

Home improvements stalling.

Does anyone know what "hot soapy water" means?

For use on walls.

As it doesn't mean actual soap does it?

Usually, you use sugar soap on walls.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 12th September 2014, 5:47 PM BST

Do we have a DIY thread? if not, I'm counting on you to start one Hercules, I need never Google 'why did my rawplug disappear into the plaster' again ;)

'Tis done :) DIY thread, and have answered your query. ;)

Quote: Nogget @ 13th September 2014, 6:08 AM BST

Usually, you use sugar soap on walls.

Good point, as it will degrease - especially good in kitchens. What threw me was "hot soapy water", which you wouldn't get with sugar soap. Though.....

Despite its seemingly innocuous title it is at the end of the day a chemical cleaner and should be used with caution.

Have moved it on to the new DIY thread. Hope OK. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 12th September 2014, 7:05 PM BST

Actually HGT I do have a rose. A thick brown cable extends from the hole in it and there are two wires inside the cable which are poking out of the end of the cable. One brown and one blue. Each is attached to a light bulb which doesn't work. I keep the switch on the wall permanently off for safety reasons as I don't understand the problem. All electric in the home is switched off if I go away using a switch in the larder.

Before all this, I had a lampshade with a bulb and it did work - and for many years. It is a wiring problem that has developed and not a faulty bulb because I've tried many bulbs with it since the problem occurred and none of those have worked. They are the old style ones because I made sure I had a lifetime's supply.

Got to dash off and do the shopping now, but will try and get back to you today - on the new DIY thread. :)

Heading to mates place for dinner, drinks and watching Bottom on DVD. Have subjected said friend to many comedies they've proclaimed to be happy to watch but Bottom is one of the few I think they really like.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 12th September 2014, 7:05 PM BST

Actually HGT I do have a rose. A thick brown cable extends from the hole in it

Is this the bowel health thread

That was extremely vulgar and uncalled for, sooty.

Yes

But bloody funny too

Laughing out loud

Quote: beaky @ 13th September 2014, 10:11 AM BST

That was extremely vulgar and uncalled for, sooty.

Family motto Beaky

:)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 6:31 PM BST

Thank you for the tips. I thought washing up liquid had oil in it but I suppose the water dilutes it. Have used lemon jif in earlier times and am wondering about the long term effects. Guess that "sizing" means covering the whole of the wall with glue like slop. All of these sentences are questions, sort of, except for the first.

No. I do not have a light fitting in place but I used to have one there. It's just a bit of bare wire and I don't understand why it isn't working. I may have been heavy in the past with the use of pliers. Words like "twin" and "trip" and phrases like "a bulk standard wire block" scare the hell out of me although I did replace a timer switch in an airing cupboard once, much to my amazement. Would this thing be easier or more difficult? Ta.

Erm... with the level of knowledge that you have indicated; I strongly suggest that you don't do anything electrical yourself. You could kill yourself or start a fire.

Quote: billwill @ 14th September 2014, 12:51 AM BST

Erm... with the level of knowledge that you have indicated; I strongly suggest that you don't do anything electrical yourself. You could kill yourself or start a fire.

Yes thank you billwill.

I accept that health and safety is very important and it must be of the utmost priority. But if I can tell the electrician what the problem is and where it is located then it will save me money. Otherwise it will be an hour up a ladder and another hour in the larder and 30 odd minutes of expensive sharp intakes of breath.

Ben got up far too late today.

Gordon is going to a Nits concert.