Status report Page 5,692

Quote: zooo @ 2nd September 2014, 3:07 PM BST

Wowwwwwwwwwwww.
*is jealous*

Not as good as it sounds. You then had to wait for Easter to get a week off. Not so bad when Easter was early in the year but when it was around April, that was a long time between holidays! The other two term breaks are around late June for two weeks and around the end of September for two weeks.
Which means the lucky children get holidays again soon, having only been back at school three months!

Trying to get a quote from a builder for some work that needs doing. Instead of actually turning up, he's texted to say his clutch went on the van, and he can't make it.
1. Do I want excuses or do I want him to actually turn up?
2. If his van is that poorly maintained, what chance he's going to do a good job here?
3. Why are so many builders shit?

Quote: reds @ 2nd September 2014, 3:19 PM BST

Not as good as it sounds. You then had to wait for Easter to get a week off. Not so bad when Easter was early in the year but when it was around April, that was a long time between holidays! The other two term breaks are around late June for two weeks and around the end of September for two weeks.
Which means the lucky children get holidays again soon, having only been back at school three months!

The bastids.
As an adult it seems like they're always on bloody holiday.

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd September 2014, 3:31 PM BST

Trying to get a quote from a builder for some work that needs doing. Instead of actually turning up, he's texted to say his clutch went on the van, and he can't make it.
2. If his van is that poorly maintained, what chance he's going to do a good job here?

I'm going to be using some builders soon and if they dick me around that's it, they can f**k off. Remember, never pay for work until it's finished and you're happy.

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd September 2014, 3:31 PM BST

1. It's a bit difficult for him to turn up without a van to carry his gear, so his excuse kind of holds weight here.

2. Clutches fail regardless of how well maintained a vehicle is.

3. I don't know. Maybe the exams aren't that tricky. Do you even need to have qualifications to set up as a builder?

Quote: Lee @ 2nd September 2014, 6:09 PM BST

I'm going to be using some builders soon and if they dick me around that's it, they can f**k off. Remember, never pay for work until it's finished and you're happy.

'Spierdalaj' is what you need.

Googled... Ah! Although personally, I've had good experiences with foreign tradesmen, maybe I've been lucky?

Quote: Lee @ 2nd September 2014, 10:07 PM BST

Googled... Ah! Although personally, I've had good experiences with foreign tradesmen entrances, maybe I've been lucky?

or perhaps you have a large survey sample

Ben has had a busy evening, but managed to get plenty done and leave himself (hopefully) to kick back and relax tomorrow night.

In the words of Eric Carmen - All By Myself

we're all here rocker

There's a burkha wearer online . . . .

Quote: Oldrocker @ 3rd September 2014, 1:16 AM BST

There's a burkha wearer online . . . .

They scare me . . I'm off !

Saw my first Christmassy thing yesterday. IT HAS BEGUN.
Mini Christmas aisle in Tesco. Christmas cakes, Christmas puddings, mince pies. Yum yum yum.

Oh and saw some Christmas cards in a charity shop. They always start putting those out mega early.

I get the keys to my new gaff tomorrow and a job interview Monday. Exciting times.

What's the job?