Status report Page 5,696

Ben has just been signing some invoices off. Yes, he brought work home tonight, but it was just doing his autograph for five minutes, so not too taxing.

Home improvements stalling.

Does anyone know what "hot soapy water" means?

For use on walls.

As it doesn't mean actual soap does it?

Also, how do you replace a light bulb when the wire from the ceiling is short and not working?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 4:33 PM BST

For use on walls.

Also, how do you replace a light bulb when the wire from the ceiling is short and not working?

Generic "soap" - a weak solution of washing up liquid is fine, just so long as there's a few bubbles.
If you are proposing to wallpaper, then it is very worth while "sizing" the walls with a weak solution of PVA.

You have got a light fitting in place I hope! :O An electrician wouldn't do it but to save a rewire, and presumably there is some cable you can get hold of coming out of the ceiling, then wire a piece of twin using a bulk standard wire block and poke that up into the ceiling space. You should then be able to fit a new lampholder for the shade and new light bulb.
PULL THE LIGHTING FUSE OUT AT THE BOX OR TRIP THAT CIRCUIT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

HGT Electrics Ltd - That'll be £34.80 + VAT.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 8th September 2014, 10:50 PM BST

I've been to Basel

I just used some in some lovely homemade tomato soup!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2014, 5:02 PM BST

Generic "soap" - a weak solution of washing up liquid is fine, just so long as there's a few bubbles.
If you are proposing to wallpaper, then it is very worth while "sizing" the walls with a weak solution of PVA.

You have got a light fitting in place I hope! :O An electrician wouldn't do it but to save a rewire, and presumably there is some cable you can get hold of coming out of the ceiling, then wire a piece of twin using a bulk standard wire block and poke that up into the ceiling space. You should then be able to fit a new lampholder for the shade and new light bulb.
PULL THE LIGHTING FUSE OUT AT THE BOX OR TRIP THAT CIRCUIT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Thank you for the tips. I thought washing up liquid had oil in it but I suppose the water dilutes it. Have used lemon jif in earlier times and am wondering about the long term effects. Guess that "sizing" means covering the whole of the wall with glue like slop. All of these sentences are questions, sort of, except for the first.

No. I do not have a light fitting in place but I used to have one there. It's just a bit of bare wire and I don't understand why it isn't working. I may have been heavy in the past with the use of pliers. Words like "twin" and "trip" and phrases like "a bulk standard wire block" scare the hell out of me although I did replace a timer switch in an airing cupboard once, much to my amazement. Would this thing be easier or more difficult? Ta.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 4:33 PM BST

For use on walls.

Why not combine the two, and stand in a bowl of hot soapy water whilst changing the light bulb?

Quote: beaky @ 11th September 2014, 6:37 PM BST

Why not combine the two, and stand in a bowl of hot soapy water whilst changing the light bulb?

Thanks but I had already worked out that was best way, especially as I'm saving money on the heating.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 6:31 PM BST

Thank you for the tips. I thought washing up liquid had oil in it but I suppose the water dilutes it. Have used lemon jif in earlier times and am wondering about the long term effects. Guess that "sizing" means covering the whole of the wall with glue like slop. All of these sentences are questions, sort of, except for the first.

No. I do not have a light fitting in place but I used to have one there. It's just a bit of bare wire and I don't understand why it isn't working. I may have been heavy in the past with the use of pliers. Words like "twin" and "trip" and phrases like "a bulk standard wire block" scare the hell out of me although I did replace a timer switch in an airing cupboard once, much to my amazement. Would this thing be easier or more difficult? Ta.

I'll come back to you on this Horse - bit tied up at the moment (Not Bondage!
:P ) In the meantime DON'T touch those wires!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2014, 5:02 PM BST

10 Zloty and not a groszy more.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 11th September 2014, 8:56 PM BST

10 Zloty and not a groszy more.

My life! Alright my son, one goat and that 'at you are a wearing of.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 11th September 2014, 6:31 PM BST

Absolutely no way should you have just two wires sticking out of the ceiling! I have seen some wiring bodges in my time, but this takes the biscuit, and I am presuming you inherited this from a previous owner - seriously dangerous!

Right! OK! Or whatever...........

(1) You should have 9 wires coming out of the ceiling (YES - NINE! A Red live, a Black neutral and a Bare earth = 3 {in a grey sleeve cable} - times 3.Just in case anyone sticks their oar in - Yes, one of the 3, if it is wired properly, - the switch cable would be 2 Reds and a Bare Earth ) which you wire into the Ceiling Rose:-

Then twin only domestic cable (one brown, one blue) from that to the light bulb holder:-

If you only have two wires coming out of the ceiling, with no juice, then DON'T TOUCH IT - call in an electrician!

BUT I am intrigued now as to how you fitted a light bulb (?) to that before you had this problem?

How old is the house?

You must have a fuse box somewhere? - Either old fashioned wired fuses or trip switches.

(2) No, no, no - there is no oil in washing up liquid. By its very nature it is designed to dissolve oil and grease, but Jif is a scouring cleaner.
Sizing is done according to how bad the walls are. If it is modern/recent plasterwork then (cheaper) extra diluted wallpaper paste (10 to 1 say or weaker) will be perfectly adequate. If you have old walls that are powdery or even crumbling (!) then use a dilute PVA of say 10 to 1 or stronger if the walls are really bad (I have used it neat in the past!), BUT WHY are you washing the walls - what job are you preparing to do?

Hope this is clearer and helps. :)

Hercules, you should totally start a thread offering free advice like that. Not that this has anything to do with me moving into a new place that needs a bit of work done Whistling nnocently

Quote: Lee @ 12th September 2014, 1:35 PM BST

Hercules, you should totally start a thread offering free advice like that. Not that this has anything to do with me moving into a new place that needs a bit of work done Whistling nnocently

Can I create a fee paying thread? Sounds quite lucrative. :)

Now, as you have shown interest and made the right noises - I need your Pay Pal account number, credit/debit card details and all your passwords - purely for our records you understand. :D

Angelic Look into my eyes :S ........I have been sent from above and you can totally trust me............
Repeat after me - "Here is my wallet - take what you want" Pirate

:D

Quote: Lee @ 12th September 2014, 1:35 PM BST

He's nothing less than the 2014 version of Barry Bucknell. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2014, 12:22 PM BST

Absolutely no way should you have just two wires sticking out of the ceiling! I have seen some wiring bodges in my time, but this takes the biscuit, and I am presuming you inherited this from a previous owner - seriously dangerous!

Right! OK! Or whatever...........

(1) You should have 9 wires coming out of the ceiling (YES - NINE! A Red live, a Black neutral and a Bare earth = 3 {in a grey sleeve cable} - times 3.Just in case anyone sticks their oar in - Yes, one of the 3, if it is wired properly, - the switch cable would be 2 Reds and a Bare Earth ) which you wire into the Ceiling Rose:-

Then twin only domestic cable (one brown, one blue) from that to the light bulb holder:-

If you only have two wires coming out of the ceiling, with no juice, then DON'T TOUCH IT - call in an electrician!

BUT I am intrigued now as to how you fitted a light bulb (?) to that before you had this problem?

How old is the house?

You must have a fuse box somewhere? - Either old fashioned wired fuses or trip switches.

(2) No, no, no - there is no oil in washing up liquid. By its very nature it is designed to dissolve oil and grease, but Jif is a scouring cleaner.
Sizing is done according to how bad the walls are. If it is modern/recent plasterwork then (cheaper) extra diluted wallpaper paste (10 to 1 say or weaker) will be perfectly adequate. If you have old walls that are powdery or even crumbling (!) then use a dilute PVA of say 10 to 1 or stronger if the walls are really bad (I have used it neat in the past!), BUT WHY are you washing the walls - what job are you preparing to do?

Hope this is clearer and helps. :)

I have just spotted your detailed post. I thought you had run scared and didn't contemplate you would come back on it. It's most kind of you and are there no ends to the strings on your bow? My initial responses are 1968 and, no, I don't have a rose. But I am delighted to announce that these are not my
last comments on the matter. Not by a long chalk. I will, though, have a stiff drink before a fuller reply.