The Thick Of It - Series 4 Page 8

"You bought a bank...out of social embarrassment? I sometimes buy the Big Issue out of social embarrassment, I don't buy a FUCKING BANK!"

Laughing out loud

Mannion swearing > Tucker swearing

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 23 2012, 9:24 PM BST

"You bought a bank...out of social embarrassment?"

Hmm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19697531

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 24 2012, 8:24 AM BST

Hmm...

Spooky!

I found it a bit disappointing. As soon as they all had to hand their phones in, you knew they'd regret it, and if the only place for mobile reception is the playground, it's obviously going to be a photo opportunity. Sometimes knowing what's going to happen can be funny, as you watch the events unfold, but these ones just felt a bit clumsy and obvious to me. Conversely, I often find it hard to keep up with what's going on, since exposition is kept to such a minimum. For example, it starts with them all in a car on phones having separate conversations...keep up at the back! Tickle's topped himself...sure I remember his name, but who was he exactly? I oscillate between being left behind by events, and being too far ahead of them.

Never occurred to me that the playground would get photographed. Just found it hilarious that they were being forced to act so stupidly.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 24 2012, 8:24 AM BST

Hmm...

And this Tory whip in a shit storm for swearing at the coppers. Didn't this happen to Ben Swain for swearing at the cleaner? Ianucci again has been writing scripts for government.

"You've turned into the wrong Mitford sister." Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Amazing.

Roger Allam is just fantastic. His delivery raises the most mundane of lines to beyond brilliant.

Pity, as mentioned, that there'd been so little establishment of the suicide character though. The writers failed to tell us who he was or why it is such a big deal that he's topped himself. Poor.

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 23 2012, 9:24 PM BST

"You bought a bank...out of social embarrassment? I sometimes buy the Big Issue out of social embarrassment, I don't buy a FUCKING BANK!"

Laughing out loud

Mannion swearing > Tucker swearing

Agreed 100%. Less is more.

Roger Allam is just fantastic. His delivery raises the most mundane of lines to beyond brilliant.

:D :D :D

Quote: Aaron @ September 24 2012, 8:33 PM BST

"You've turned into the wrong Mitford sister." Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Amazing.

It's strange because the writing, though not as good as series 1-3 is still really high. I mean if what we've seen of series 4 was a new comedy series I think we'd be saying it's great. The standard of writing is just so high we judge it more harshly.

I think, anyway.

I laughed out loud at Manion's reaction to Stuart's 'lets get rid of computers' suggestion in the circle.

"YOU FUCKING IDIOT, THAT'S MENTAL"

Delivered with enough venom to down a safari animal.

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ September 24 2012, 9:29 PM BST

It's strange because the writing, though not as good as series 1-3 is still really high. I mean if what we've seen of series 4 was a new comedy series I think we'd be saying it's great. The standard of writing is just so high we judge it more harshly.

I think, anyway.

I laughed out loud at Manion's reaction to Stuart's 'lets get rid of computers' suggestion in the circle.

"YOU FUCKING IDIOT, THAT'S MENTAL"

Delivered with enough venom to down a safari animal.

I actually would say it's the other way. Because it's a successful show it's getting a slightly easy ride.

I'm not saying that it's terrible or anything but I think any comedy show should have more laughs than this. There have been very funny moments in each episode but not enough of them imo.

Also, has any comedy show ever had so many important characters in so few episodes? The show has run for 19 episodes (maybe) and there have been dozens of important characters flitting in and out. Now obviously that's partly down to necessity but I do think it causes problems. The Liberal Democrats aren't particularly interesting and the new Labour character last week had little chance to shine. As others have said, the character who committed suicide also wasn't introduced properly.

Quote: Nick @ September 25 2012, 2:45 AM BST

The Liberal Democrats aren't particularly interesting

Criticising writers for failing to make the Lib Dems interesting is a bit harsh.

Quote: Nick @ September 25 2012, 2:45 AM BST

I actually would say it's the other way. Because it's a successful show it's getting a slightly easy ride.

I'm not saying that it's terrible or anything but I think any comedy show should have more laughs than this. There have been very funny moments in each episode but not enough of them imo.

Also, has any comedy show ever had so many important characters in so few episodes? The show has run for 19 episodes (maybe) and there have been dozens of important characters flitting in and out. Now obviously that's partly down to necessity but I do think it causes problems. The Liberal Democrats aren't particularly interesting and the new Labour character last week had little chance to shine. As others have said, the character who committed suicide also wasn't introduced properly.

Hmm, I dunno. The lines were still very funny. Much better than a lot of other comedies out there. I agree though, not enough jokes.

And which Labour character are you referring to?

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ September 25 2012, 10:33 AM BST

And which Labour character are you referring to?

The young female one.

Peter Mannion is fact becoming my favourite character.

In my opinion, #3 is the best episode of the series so far. I'd make these observations:

- The Lib Dems found a little bit of something this time around. The Minister Lib Dem reminds me a little bit of Tom Hollander's in In The Loop. Still, they don't have anything to really make them stand out (the stapler line was the best in the episode though IMHO).

- After the two heavyweights (Mannion/Tucker), Phil is still the funniest secondary character on the show IMHO. He doesn't get enough credit.

- The 'Mr Tickle' thing seemed like some kind of in-joke of the writers that they weren't letting the viewer in on. From watching Episode #3 four times, I have managed to gather that he is some kind of homeless nurse, making some kind of protest by living in a tent.

- The slide/photo thing could have been seen coming a mile-off. Like a few situations in this series, it seems a little forced. Something that TTOI has not really been guilty of during the first 3 series.

- Glenn still seems a bit lost without Ollie, with whom he had great chemistry. I don't really know where his character is going, or why. I guess he is just kinda hanging around, with an occasional moral outburst.

- I still think the separation of the parties is hamstringing the episodes a bit. I prefer the old-style clusterf**ks, and banter between the two parties. Plus, I miss Julius. :(

Back to Labour next week. Hopefully, now Tucker has something to chew on, he'll be back to his snarling best next week. Wouldn't complain if Jamie came back for a bit of brutal MMF verbal buggery also.

Tucker is The Thick of It for me. Although this was the better non-Tucker episode. I still enjoy it.