The Thick Of It - Series 4 Page 12

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ October 9 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Whenever I see Chris Addison, all I can think of now is a Quentin Blake illustration...

Yes me too. A bit like Martin Freeman all I see is a Fisher Price toy.

Exactly. And Glenn as private Godfrey...

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ October 9 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Whenever I see Chris Addison, all I can think of now is a Quentin Blake illustration...

:D

I believe this weeks show has been shunted for an arena special and a showing of Slade in Flame ;)

I just lost my shit watching Mannion in the preview video for tonight's episode.

I haven't laughed out loud that hard for months. What an episode.

Mannion trying to make the webpage on his mobile bigger and taking a photo of his feet made me howl.

One of the best Thick Of It episodes ever

I've not commented on this so far because each week I wanted to give it another chance. It pains me to say it, but this series is an imitigated pile of shit. Honestly, I haven't laughed once in the whole series so far.

I've got the box set which I have watched a number of times, and think it is simply genius. One of the funniest things created in British comedy in a long time. I have to admit, In The Loop wasn't great, but passable.

But this series feels like it is fan fiction. A poor derivative. Everything is laboured and superficial. 'Quiet Bat People' isn't even amusing - and it sounds like someone trying to write like The Thick Of It, and failing. Everyone seems to spend the entire episode shouting. The only actual 'comedy' now comes entirely from swearing, which previously was an amusing bit of schtick, but now has to carry the weight of the entire programme. Everyone is nasty, there is no humour as such, just simply bullying and shouting.

Any good relationships that worked really well have been split up and/or redefined. No one seems to be scared of Tucker, and Mannion is openly hostile to Pearson to the point of absurdity. The two Lib Dems have no real place in it, they've obviously been grafted in. I did find the jokes around the character of Phil to be wearing thin by the end of the third series, and so they are well past their sell by date now, and yet they seem to be more frequent. "Oh, he likes Star Wars, isn't that funny everybody?"

And even the swearing and name calling in itself isn't as funny. Is this being written by someone else?

I'm guessing Iannucci was too preoccupied with Veep.

I would have prefered it if they had just left it at series 3. I am so disappointed.

I agree with you up until tonights episode. Dan Miller is just fantastic in a quiet-wanker way. Peter Manion gets better and better (he's rude to Stuart now because he just doesn't give a shit anymore), and the jokes were on top form for me this eve.

It's got back its sense of urgency, I've loved seeing Olly become Malcolm's right hand man, and the story gripped me for the first time since series three. Agreed, it's not quite as sparkling as before, but it's changed and evolved.

I even thought the metaphors were back on track. They'd been weak up until this episode.

(And it made me sad to see Glenn beg... It's more depressing, I'll give you that.)

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 13 2012, 10:16 PM BST

Any good relationships that worked really well have been split up and/or redefined.

I did find the jokes around the character of Phil to be wearing thin by the end of the third series, and so they are well past their sell by date now, and yet they seem to be more frequent. "Oh, he likes Star Wars, isn't that funny everybody?"

Agree with this.

With reference to the Phil character, I actually thought this was the first episode of the series where he was funny.

Quote: Mr Carnegie @ October 13 2012, 10:32 PM BST

It's got back its sense of urgency, I've loved seeing Olly become Malcolm's right hand man, and the story gripped me for the first time since series three. Agreed, it's not quite as sparkling as before, but it's changed and evolved.

I agree with this strongly. The constant back and forth between the opposing sides - and from Malcolm to Manion in particular - was a joy to watch. Tucker telling Nicola Murray to get lost was horribly heartless but incredibly engaging.

I love the dialogue and delivery on The Thick Of It, it's almost musical in nature and the only time the show dips is when they concentrate on the Lib Dem characters, who have yet to find their voice.

This is black comedy at its finest.

Fairly enjoyable, but it degenerated into mere shouting towards the end, and some of the references were a bit difficult; how many viewers under 40 know anything about Brian Jones? I got that one, but I might be missing loads of stuff without even knowing it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 14 2012, 12:23 PM BST

Tucker telling Nicola Murray to get lost was horribly heartless but incredibly engaging.

As was Tucker's "Catch you later, you FUCKING TRAITOR!" to Glen.

Quote: Nogget @ October 14 2012, 12:38 PM BST

how many viewers under 40 know anything about Brian Jones? I got that one, but I might be missing loads of stuff without even knowing it.

Well, I got the Brian Jones reference (I'm 24).

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing as well, but I'm not sure there's any need to dwell on it - there'll be stuff that you will get just around the corner.

Quote: shaggy292 @ October 14 2012, 1:37 PM BST

As was Tucker's "Catch you later, you FUCKING TRAITOR!" to Glen.

Well, I got the Brian Jones reference (I'm 24).

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing as well, but I'm not sure there's any need to dwell on it - there'll be stuff that you will get just around the corner.

An apperance from Robin, who was previously referred to by Jamie as 'Joni Mitchell'

Tucker telling Nicola Murray to get lost was horribly heartless but incredibly engaging.

Delicously ruthless wasn't it. I hope Malcolm and Dan Miller develop as a nasty double act with Malcolm as assassin rather than Dan as Malcolm's puppet

the only time the show dips is when they concentrate on the Lib Dem characters, who have yet to find their voice.

They have some great lines but seem to be ciphers for the writers rather than rounded characters. But maybe that's a comment on Lib Dem ministers.

>>An apperance from Robin, who was previously referred to by Jamie as 'Joni Mitchell'

Sorry, what comment does that relate to?