The Thick Of It - Series 4 Page 13

I thought it was an enjoyable episode. I would agree with previous comments that it did seem to degenerate into a lot of shouting towards the end. And I couldn't quite understand just why everybody was getting so woked up about the idea of an enquiry. If the last fifteen years have taught us anything is that Enquiries achieve nothing. They drag on forever and find no one accountable. Although that's possibly the punchline to the series.

And Malcom's hatchet job on Nicola was excellent television. He went from sitcom monster to monster.

I must say I am loving this series. The quality of the cast makes up for any slight niggles about the script. I could moan about a few piffling things, but you know what, I can't be arsed because this has been the TV highlight of the year so far for me. :D

Quote: Pingl @ October 14 2012, 8:18 PM BST

I must say I am loving this series. The quality of the cast makes up for any slight niggles about the script. I could moan about a few piffling things, but you know what, I can't be arsed because this has been the TV highlight of the year so far for me. :D

I agree completely, I think I made that point earlier. I think for all our criticism and moaning about this series, even on a bad day The Thick of It is one of the best shows on TV.

Quote: Nogget @ October 14 2012, 3:57 PM BST

>>An apperance from Robin, who was previously referred to by Jamie as 'Joni Mitchell'

Sorry, what comment does that relate to?

People not understanding references to muscians, like Brian Jones, who came to prominence in the 1960s.

Absolutely brilliant.

I can't follow the story (besides the fact they are are buggered for some reason, and are hurling insults at each other), but I don't care.

(1) The Lib Dems are growing on me a bit. They will never be a Mannion/Tucker, but if they don't have to carry the episode they are fine. Someone comented earlier on the thread that they serve no purpose, and just seem to be there. Being the Lib Dems, I can't help feeling that this is the point.

(2) Mannion yelling that he's taken pictures of his feet while angrily trying to change the settings on his phone might be my favourite Thick of It Moment ever. That's saying something. Besides Peep Show, I can't think of a show with so many past moments I have loved.

(3) A Tucker with a goal/purpose to sink his teeth into is a wonderful thing. A far-cry from the neutered Tucker of the beginning of the series.

(4) I am enjoying the dividing lines between government/opposition episodes becomming finally smudged, and getting some of the old relationships back. Glen+Ollie was always great. I am hoping for some Phil+Ollie in the future.

This show is so great. If someone didn't like it, I wouldn't say they are wrong (it's subjective), but I would know from that moment we'd have absolutely no common ground in comedy taste.

I wonder what the writers are setting up by having Ollie prematurely out of hospital?

I'm not really sure why he was in hospital. I mean, I know he was having his appendix out, but story-wise what purpose did it serve? At first I though that maybe Addison wasn't able to appear in a few episodes much due to being on tour or something, but he seems to be in it just as much as normal - he's just in hospital. It feels like the set up to a joke that hasn't arrived.

Regarding Tucker - I always felt he was like Captain Jack in Pirates of the Caribbean (bear with me). In both cases, those characters were brilliant because they didn't have to carry the story. Will & Elizabeth/the minister and her team carried the story, Jack/Tucker were free to wander in and out of the story being funny and causing mayhem, occasionally affecting the story (especially at the end), but not actually bearing the load (with a few exceptions).

However, in both the final Pirates film and this latest series of TTOI, Jack/Tucker have had to play a more central role, and so have had to carry more of the story, thereby weighing them down and not allowing them to do what they do best. And do you know what, in both cases they have been a far cry from their previous incarnations.

I hate myself for doing this. Slagging off a succesful programme when I can't write for toffee myself. But I can't help it, I get annoyed because I admire it so much and I hate to see it being treated this way. It's like a poor cover of a song you've always loved.

By the way, if the BBC are trawling this site for script editors, 1) I didn't realise the Beeb were that desperate, 2) I am available.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ October 17 2012, 9:27 AM BST

I'm not really sure why he was in hospital. I mean, I know he was having his appendix out, but story-wise what purpose did it serve? At first I though that maybe Addison wasn't able to appear in a few episodes much due to being on tour or something, but he seems to be in it just as much as normal - he's just in hospital. It feels like the set up to a joke that hasn't arrived.

Hasn't arrived yet, hopefully. It does seem like an awful lot of setting up for whatever it turns out to be, especially considering the critical plot point of Mr Tickel was barely set up at all.

I can't understand how I've missed this for so long. The third episode I saw was that one where they were "dethroning" the woman. It was heartwrenchingly thrilling. Funny in the sense of "because it is tr00". I think I have a lot of catching up to do, and feel the overwhelming urge to watch the whole series from the beginning.

Quote: Eydis @ October 17 2012, 10:35 AM BST

I can't understand how I've missed this for so long. The third episode I saw was that one where they were "dethroning" the woman. It was heartwrenchingly thrilling. Funny in the sense of "because it is tr00". I think I have a lot of catching up to do, and feel the overwhelming urge to watch the whole series from the beginning.

I take it you've seen series 1? Brilliant

but story-wise what purpose did it serve? At first I though that maybe Addison wasn't able to appear in a few episodes much due to being on tour or something.

That's a good point because all his scenes could have been slotted in later after filming.

Anyway the hospital scenes were worth it for:

"Malcolm you've bought me flowers!?"

"No I'm just lucky to live near an accident blackspot."

He just directed that episode, so not too busy for that!

This was just brilliant. I think it's actually gone more drama than comedy this series and it's utterly compelling. I mean, it's still funnier than 99% of other comedy, but the emphasis has been on the dramatic bits and that, for me, is working superbly.

Yes, everyone was shouting by the end, but isn't this exactly what happens when things are falling over and everyone is looking bad? It brings out the worst in most people; let alone those in politics who, at the end of the day, have to look out for no-one but themselves.

I suspect Malcolm is being made to look like a true monster because it's in some way designed to make us not like him a very much before whatever's about to happen to him during the enquiry. I expect we're supposed to want him to fall from grace after that performance.

Dan

It's interesting. A couple of months ago I read an article entitled something along the lines of "Why is there no British Borgen?" - and I'm sure many of us have wondered over the years if there could ever be a British West Wing. I had heard of Borgen but never watched it, so I watched the first episode.

I concluded that there is no British Borgen because that area is already nicely sewn up by TTOI. It is effectively everything Borgen is, but also spectacularly funny as well. Which is even better because, not only do I feel that that is a very British way of doing things, but also British politics seems to lend itself so well to farce in a way that I can't imagine in other countries. (Perhaps it's simply that we share a language, and a 'special relationship', with the US and so our politics is inevitably compared and comes out looking a bit pathetic.)

So, in other words, I think you may well be right that it has taken a swing away from comedy to tragedy, but personally I think it's a mistake - I'm not just saying that as a comedy fan but in a wider sense. Why would TTOI do less of the one thing it has over other political shows? We don't need a Borgen or a West Wing. We just need TTOI to continue what it was doing. (Or to stop.)

This should be exciting-

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-19/the-thick-of-it-cast-given-no-chance-to-prepare-for-goolding-inquiry

That sounds awesome!

Dan