The Thick Of It - Series 4 Page 14

Quote: swerytd @ October 18 2012, 11:35 AM BST

He just directed that episode, so not too busy for that!

This was just brilliant. I think it's actually gone more drama than comedy this series and it's utterly compelling. I mean, it's still funnier than 99% of other comedy, but the emphasis has been on the dramatic bits and that, for me, is working superbly.

Yes, everyone was shouting by the end, but isn't this exactly what happens when things are falling over and everyone is looking bad? It brings out the worst in most people; let alone those in politics who, at the end of the day, have to look out for no-one but themselves.

I suspect Malcolm is being made to look like a true monster because it's in some way designed to make us not like him a very much before whatever's about to happen to him during the enquiry. I expect we're supposed to want him to fall from grace after that performance.

Dan

I don't remember an inordinate amount of shouting in series 1, just Chris Langham sitting behind a desk with a bewildered look on his face asking "how f**ked am I?"

Poignant.

Dan

Excuse my ignorance, but what did PFI stand for on the white board? Private Finance Initiative doesn't make sense.

Yes, that's PFI. This is the trouble with the awful storytelling that we've no real idea of who Tickel is, nor any true sense of jeopardy over the situation - however, what seems to be the idea is that under some (again, woefully poorly explained) PFI deal a load of housing for key workers (emergency services, teachers) were sold off from direct state ownership; as a nurse living in that housing, Tickel protested over the sell-off; and eventually killed himself when he didn't get his own way.

"The Ark has been opened. And your face is gonna melt."

Until that point I'd really just been chuckling here and there. That really cracked me up. Perfect comedy moment.

I am really excited for tonight's episode, I think season 4 has slowly improved throughout, bit slow starting but has come into its own and is as good as ever.

Quote: swerytd @ October 18 2012, 11:35 AM BST

He just directed that episode, so not too busy for that!

I suspect Malcolm is being made to look like a true monster because it's in some way designed to make us not like him a very much before whatever's about to happen to him during the enquiry. I expect we're supposed to want him to fall from grace after that performance.

Dan

I think this is probably right, looking forward to seeing what happens tonight. ALthough, no matter how bad he comes across I always like his character, his way with words always wins me over :P

That hour went far too quickly. Gripping TV.

When everyone started leaving, and they stopped the inquiry due to unforseen circumstances, I was very worried they were going to say Malcolm had topped himself.
Phew!

Malcolm doesn't strike me as the sort who would top himself, heart attack or suicide bomber in opposition HQ are the likeliest ways he'd go.

I presume we are meant to believe Malcolm leaked the story that made the Baroness leave the panel for a bit?

He's acted quite oddly before.
Wearing a cuddly jumper for example... that was just weird.

The man on the right on the enquiry panel looked a familiar face, was he Villa from Blake's 7?

Tobias Menzies?
I only know him because I always think he looks like Joe Cornish.

Was it just me or was that slightly duller than watching the actual Levinson enquiry?

I am saving this for tomorrow. TTOI it my highlight of the week that doesn't involve wanking (although I taken a bit of a shine to Nicola's aide, so might be able to start killing two birds with one stone).

My only concern is that an enquiry episode will lack the imaginitive loud hurled abuse that makes TTOI so awesome.

Nicola's aide wasn't in this week's episode so you can spare the tissues Simon. ;)

Quote: Tursiops @ October 21 2012, 12:54 AM BST

Was it just me or was that slightly duller than watching the actual Levinson enquiry?

Leveson. And inquiry. But yes.

Such a very, very dull episode. Some absolutely pin-point accurate skewering, but just not remotely funny.