That Friday Quiz Page 160

Ok then

Friday Quiz May 15th 2015
1. Which former pop star and ambassador is getting married today? Geri Halliwell
2. Who is facing a death sentence in the Antipodes? Johnny Depp's dogs, Pistol & Boo. Happily they are both now winging their way home.
3. What is the only South London street that appears on a Monopoly board? Old Kent Road
4. Name the film In Pursuit of Happiness

5. What is the name of the twofold pointed headdress worn by bishops? Mitre
6. What is the name of the West End play about confidential meetings between the Queen and her twelve prime ministers? The Audience
7. The surname of which comedian is an anagram of Nairobi? Dara O'Briain
8. A creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish is the emblem of which Asian country? Singapore (the Merlion)
9. What links these two pictures? Hats - the UK's two most famous milliners - David Shilling and Philip Tr(e)acy

10. Who is this? Tommy Trinder
11. Which Renaissance painter was forced to flee Rome after killing a man over a dispute believed to involve a tennis match? Caravaggio
12. Which long-running US medical drama is set in Seattle? Grey's Anatomy
13. Name the board game Treasure of the Pharaohs
14. Which Belgian city is the world's biggest diamond centre? Antwerp
15. What area of technology takes its name from the Greek words for 'air' and 'to sail'? Aeronautics
16. The fruit of the world's largest herb is also the world's most popular fruit. What is it? Banana
17. Which TV mini-series is this, based on an original series from the mid 1970s? Bouquet of Barbed Wire

18. Numbers are up 10% from last year in the local football league. The number of boys went up by 5% and the number of girls went up by 20%. What fraction of the league is now girls? 4/11 (see below)

19. What event connects these pictures: Charge of the Light Brigade. ('All in the valley of Death, Rode six hundred'; Raglan sleeve, named after Lord Raglan; Balaclava; Cardigan)

20. Unscramble the two words : A E E E G H L L N R S T HANSEL & GRETEL

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2015, 10:40 PM BST

Tick VG on 3 George............Horse?

But I think 9 maybe Florence (the name for the old 2/- Florin comes from that city name), and the photo could be one of the hills that surround the city..........but am not 100% sure.

I stand corrected George, you were half right and I was completely wrong. Well done. :)

1. Ireland
2. Tech hitches- when the phone connections dropped out.

15. The Pope (or the Antipope, depends on which side of the argument you were on)
17. Jacques-Ives Cousteau (I hope I spelled it right!)

Well I am confused with number 16 as THE French Elvis is Johnny Hallyday, who is still alive, so..............

16 Johnny Hallyday

10 Abbey Mont Saint-Michel

I think that is Maurice Chevalier, whose surname is French for knight - so would it be ...........

9 Knight

4 Croque Madame (is delicious!)

12.Grasse
8.Brittany

Friday Quiz May 22nd 2015
1. Which EU country is holding a referendum today on equal rights? Ireland
2. In last night's Eurovision semi-final, there was a short montage, immediately before the final results, focusing on what aspect of 60 years of Eurovision? Voting mishaps
3. Which European country has had 5 republics, 2 empires and 2 constitutional monarchies? France
4. Name the dish Croque madame. (Croque monsieur is without the egg).

5. When greeting a Parisian, typically how many kisses would you exchange? 4
6. 'Délai' in French is the somewhat ironical translation for which English 'd'? Deadline
7. In Chateauneuf-du-Pape, a local bylaw dateing from the 1950s prohibits what from landing within the municipal borders? UFOs
8. From which French region do crepes originate? Brittany
9. What links these two pictures? Knight (Chevalier is French for knight). (Nothing for just 'Chevalier', I needed to see you understood the link)

10. Where is this? Mont St Michel
11. What small mammal removes the teeth of French children? Mouse (equivalent of tooth fairy)
12. Which French town is the world capital of perfume production? Grasse
13. Name the character (either in English or the original) The druid Getafix (Panoramix is the more innocent French original)
14. Which state of the USA was once a French colony? Louisiana
15. For a period of 67 years, Avignon was the seat of which major figure? The Pope
16. Which singer, who died tragically in the 1970s at the age of 39, has been described as 'the French Elvis Presley'? Claude Francois
17. Who is this? Jacques Cousteau

18. My electronic atlas has developed a glitch, I did a listing of miles from the UK to particular countries and here is the result:

Australia - 500 miles
Peru - 8,000 miles
India - 4,500 miles
Scotland - 9,500 miles

How far away did it list France as? 3,000 miles. Take the first letter of each country (A=1, B=2, C=3 etc) multiply by 1,000 and divide by two.

19. What connects these pictures: Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys

20. Unscramble the two synonyms : A D E E E H L R R T S S S X RELAX & DESTRESS

9. "Vienna" (Rigby's cat and the Ultravox hit)

10. Former Bundeskanzler Dr. Helmut Kohl

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 11th September 2015, 1:11 PM BST

Friday Quiz May 22nd 2015

9. What links these two pictures? Knight (Chevalier is French for knight). (Nothing for just 'Chevalier', I needed to see you understood the link)

Sir! Sir! I did Sir! Do I now get the money bonus?

16. Which singer, who died tragically in the 1970s at the age of 39, has been described as 'the French Elvis Presley'? Claude Francois

Mutter, mutter. He may have tried to imitate Elvis, as he did with many others, but the title The French Elvis Presley definitely went to Johnny Hallyday.

Suppose that has put the kibosh on my cash prize............... :(

13. Cassava (casava?)
16. Can picture it- know my brain knows the answer. ...It's just hiding.

It's not Turkey is it?

I'm not sure, just guessing

"Friday Quiz May 22nd 2015

Sir! Sir! I did Sir! Do I now get the money bonus?

Mutter, mutter. He may have tried to imitate Elvis, as he did with many others, but the title The French Elvis Presley definitely went to Johnny Hallyday.

Suppose that has put the kibosh on my cash prize............... :("

Herc, you seem to know a lot about French light entertainment. Why? What's wrong with you???!!!