That Friday Quiz Page 161

Herc, you seem to know a lot about French light entertainment. Why? What's wrong with you???!!!

Just a trivia nut. :D - can do German as well.............

10 Helmut Kohl

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2015, 6:09 PM BST

10 Helmut Kohl

*Cough cough*

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th September 2015, 2:07 PM BST

10. Former Bundeskanzler Dr. Helmut Kohl

15.Tracey Stubbs from birds of a feather.
11.Millennium Bridge?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th September 2015, 8:04 PM BST

*Cough cough*

Oh dear, how embarrasking as Popeye was want to say. Sorry Gordon. :$

7 The Day of the Jackal

8 King Edward VII

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th September 2015, 5:17 PM BST

"Friday Quiz May 22nd 2015

9. What links these two pictures? Knight (Chevalier is French for knight). (Nothing for just 'Chevalier', I needed to see you understood the link)

Sir! Sir! I did Sir! Do I now get the money bonus?

16. Which singer, who died tragically in the 1970s at the age of 39, has been described as 'the French Elvis Presley'? Claude Francois

Mutter, mutter. He may have tried to imitate Elvis, as he did with many others, but the title The French Elvis Presley definitely went to Johnny Hallyday.

Suppose that has put the kibosh on my cash prize............... :("

Herc, you seem to know a lot about French light entertainment. Why? What's wrong with you???!!!

Don't forget that the person who writes this quiz isn't here, will never be here & will never hear of any queries.

3. Les Dawson?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 12th September 2015, 2:12 AM BST

Don't forget that the person who writes this quiz isn't here, will never be here & will never hear of any queries.

3. Les Dawson?

I know that Steve, am just trying to wind you up; but you're too cool for that Daddio. Cool

6 Lieutenant Uhura

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2015, 9:21 AM BST

I know that Steve, am just trying to wind you up; but you're too cool for that Daddio. Cool

6 Lieutenant Uhura

Extra point for Herc

And here's the answers

Friday Quiz June 26th 2015
1. Unusually, the longest day this year will be June 30th. Why is this? There will be a leap second added at the end of the day
2. Which European government was ordered by its courts this week to reduce its carbon emissions? The Netherlands
3. Who preceded Lily Savage as host of TV's Blankety Blank? Les Dawson
4. Name the controversial 1990s film. Kids

5. In which century did reindeer become extinct in the wild in the UK? 9th century
6. Who was head of communications on the starship Enterprise? Lieutenant Uhura
7. An attempted assassination of President de Gaulle was the subject of which best-selling novel? The Day of the Jackal
8. Which king's appendix caused his coronation to be delayed for six weeks? Edward VII
9. What links these two pictures? Vienna - Rigsby's cat in Rising Damp, and Ultravox single

10. Who is this? Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl
11. Which walkway opened and closed within 2 days in the summer of 2000? Millennium Bridge in London
12. Which unit of currency was finally phased out in 1980? The sixpence
13. What 'C' is this? Cassava
14. Whereabouts on a cricket pitch would you find a chain? Between the wickets (a chain is the imperial measurement for 22 yards
15. Which sitcom character had a son called 'Garthy'? Tracey in 'Birds of a Feather'
16. Which country's flag features a white crescent and star on a red background ? Turkey
17. What is this? A piton

18. My chickens have laid 12 dozen eggs. I gave them away to Ann, Betty, Cath and Dora. The difference between the number of eggs given to Ann and Betty was 4, between Betty and Cath was 3, between Cath and Dora was 2. Ann got the most eggs, but received fewer than 40. How many did Dora get? 35 (see below)

19. What connects these pictures: All can be followed by 'ship'. (Court; censor; factory; flag; battle/war)

20. Unscramble the two words : A B E E I I L O R S T X X ASTERIX & OBELIX

Maths answer
Denote the number of eggs received by the four friends as a, b, c and d, respectively.
Since a is the largest, b must equal a-4.
c differs 3 from b, and can be either a-1 or a-7.
If c=a-1, then d must be a-3, which implies a+(a-4)+(a-1)+(a-3)=144, a=38, and a-3=35.
If c=a-7, then d can be either a-5 or a-9. However, it can be checked that in either case, a>=40.
Therefore, Dora got 35 eggs.

7 Tony Christie

15 Goodwood

6 Luton

8 Norman Wisdom

1. Cuba

4. Maleficent

20. Beaver and Coypu

14. Gimme, gimme, gimme. (Although that was BBC so I'm probably wrong)

18. 7

12 Wainwright

13 Death Watch Beetle

3 Cormorants