That Friday Quiz Page 155

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 14th August 2015, 12:08 PM BST

Its' probably Stavros
The guy on the right is Kojaks brother, not sure who the other is.

I think it's Anthony Quinn as Alexis Sorbas...a "greek"...and Telly Savallas' brother...a "greek" as well, so Greece is the connection. But maybe I'm talking bollocks.

Edit: No, you're right, it's Stavros! The guy on the left is Quinn, but not as Sorbas but as Col. Stavros in The Guns Of Navarone. At least I was a little bit right.

I'd have given you the points

3. Annie Nightingale
4. Betty Blue

7. Pharrell Williams

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ 14th August 2015, 1:16 PM BST

3. Annie Nightingale

Already dunnit. :P

17. Alfalfa

YES!!! Got one of these before JohnnyD :D At last.

19 Little Women

10. The all-conquering Ted Loveday from 'University Challenge'

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th August 2015, 2:28 PM BST

Already dunnit. :P

You hadn't quite, actually. The question asks for the name of the DJ :P

Quote: shaggy292 @ 14th August 2015, 7:38 PM BST

10. The all-conquering Ted Loveday from 'University Challenge'

You hadn't quite, actually. The question asks for the name of the DJ :P

Well, I had quite, actually because the question was "The surname of which veteran female radio DJ is also the name of a familiar singing bird?"

So, :P :P :P :P :P :P

2.Daniel Craig

16. Drambuie

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th August 2015, 8:03 PM BST

Well, I had quite, actually because the question was "The surname of which veteran female radio DJ is also the name of a familiar singing bird?"

So, :P :P :P :P :P :P

Hmm. I still maintain that I'm right. Let's not quibble.

Quote: shaggy292 @ 14th August 2015, 9:43 PM BST

Hmm. I still maintain that I'm right. Let's not quibble.

Well I am sorry but I maintain that I am right, and thereby you are wrong. The operative word there is "surname". If the question had said "The name of which female radio DJ is also the name of a familiar singing bird?" that would have not made sense, so it could not be Annie Nightingale and I answered correctly.

I'm not trying to labour the point or wanting to quibble either, just stating the fact.

But it says "the surname of WHICH female DJ is the also the name of a familiar singing bird?".

If the question was "which familiar singing bird is also the surname of a female DJ?", that WOULD be Nightingale, and you'd have a point, but because of the way the question is phrased, Annie Nightingale is the answer, as it asks for the DJ rather than the bird.

If you won't accept that, let's just call it a draw.

I've checked the answers & declare Shaggy the winner by TKO

Quote: shaggy292 @ 14th August 2015, 10:07 PM BST

But it says "the surname of WHICH female DJ is the also the name of a familiar singing bird?".

Why you should hone in on the interrogative pronoun I don't know as it can be little else in this instance, and I don't know how I can make it clearer than pointing out that it asks what is the surname and not what is the name.

The fact that the answer is Annie Nightingale is irrelevant as it is wrong in this yet again poorly worded question. However, I will accept the draw, but not the TKO. Wave

As you know Steve, this is not the first time there has been errors in the questions because if you are going to set them (I know these are third party and not set by you ;) ) then you should check, check and double check the wording and the facts and if possible get somebody else to proof read them as when re-reading your own work, you will see what you want to see, not what is written.

Anyway, I have just won £3.40 on the Euromillions so there, yah boo. :P

Friday Quiz April 17th 2015
1. Which Nobel Prize winner died this week? Guenter Grass
2. Which James Bond has taken on the role of a life-saver? Daniel Craig - working for the UN against land mines
3. The surname of which veteran female radio DJ is also the name of a familiar singing bird? Annie Nightingale
4. Name the film Betty Blue

5. What was the first full-length feature film produced by Nick Park and the team at Aardman Animation? Chicken Run
6. Which 19th century British civil engineer designed the main drainage system for London? Sir Joseph Bazalgette
7. Which artist features on three of the ten biggest selling singles of the 2010s? Pharrell Williams (Happy; Blurred Lines; Get Lucky)
8. Which Central American fruit, named after a mythical creature can resemble a mini-pineapple crossed with a banana? Dragon fruit
9. What links these two pictures? Stavros (Colonel Stavros from Guns of Navarone & Kojak's brother Stavros)

10. Where might you have seen this chap displaying his prowess recently? University Challenge. Ted Loveday, the star of Gonville & Caius' series-winning team.
11. With a dark green tinged fur, along with flashes of yellow, black, and white, and with a red and blue snout, what is the most colourful primate? Mandril
12. In the 1950s, which was the first African country to gain independence? Libya
13. Name the character. Doran Martell - from Game of Thrones
14. What is the emergency telephone number most commonly used in European countries? 112
15. What do you call the special kind of x-ray that is used to examine the veins and arteries in the human body? Angiogram
16. Which drink derives its name from an old Gaelic word which translated means 'the drink that satisfies'? Drambuie
17. What is this? Alfalfa

18. At my last Scrabble tournament every player played one game against everybody else (games are always played one-against-one). The total number of games that oldies played between themselves exceeded those played between oldies and youngsters by 18. There were 4 youngsters at the tournament, so how many games were played in total? 120 games were played. See workings below.

19. What connection links these pictures: The four sisters from Little Women (Jo, Amy, Beth & Meg)

20. Unscramble the two words : A C D L M N O S U Y MANY CLOUDS (the Grand National winner)

Maths workings:
Totally 120 games were played in the tournament.

Let N be the number of oldies in the tournament.
Then the number of games played by oldies between themselves
= N*(N-1)/2

The number of games played by oldies with youngsters = 4*N
(since there were 4 youngsters in the tournament)

It is given that the total number of games that oldies played between themselves exceeded those played by oldies with youngsters by 18.

Hence
N*(N-1)/2 - 4*N = 18
N*(N-1) - 8*N = 36
N*N - N - 8*N = 36
N^2 - 9*N - 36 = 0

Factorizing we get,
N^2 - 12*N + 3*N - 36 = 0
N*(N - 12) + 3*(N - 12) = 0
(N - 12)(N + 3) = 0
Hence N = 12 or -3 (not possible).

Hence the number of oldies in the chess tournament
= N = 12

Therefore the total number of people participating in the chess tournament = 12 + 4 = 16.

The total number of games played in the tournament
= T*(T-1)/2
= 16*15/2
= 120