Things that piss you off Page 1,612

Quote: keewik @ 15th July 2015, 10:20 PM BST

Yes, I want to kill them, too. We're registered with TPS but they just ignore that. if I'm on my game I bugger them about but half of it is recorded messages so I don't suppose it registers when I shout 'Bugger off!'down the phone.

TPS only works if it's a marketing call. If it's just to do a 'survey' they are out of the TPS remit.

It particularly bothers me because I'm a carer for my father, but I have to leave him alone when I go to work. That mean's he has to answer the phone. He has Parkinson's and mild dementia so they sometimes wake him up (he has to sleep during the day), if he gets to the phone before it rings off they hang up on him (which is better than him doing the survey I guess). It doesn't matter how many times I explain to them why I don't want them to call back, it happens anyway! Total heartless bastards.

This seems to work in the USA, perhaps it also applies in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxOjQ5X4g0

UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwvydfWWUsc

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 16th July 2015, 1:06 PM BST

It doesn't matter how many times I explain to them why I don't want them to call back, it happens anyway! Total heartless bastards.

My disabled wife has that problem, which is very annoying. Angry

Your wife's disablity is that she's a total heartless bastard?! :O

Could have worded that better. ;)

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 16th July 2015, 1:06 PM BST

TPS only works if it's a marketing call. If it's just to do a 'survey' they are out of the TPS remit.

It particularly bothers me because I'm a carer for my father, but I have to leave him alone when I go to work. That mean's he has to answer the phone. He has Parkinson's and mild dementia so they sometimes wake him up (he has to sleep during the day), if he gets to the phone before it rings off they hang up on him (which is better than him doing the survey I guess). It doesn't matter how many times I explain to them why I don't want them to call back, it happens anyway! Total heartless bastards.

Could you not unplug it when you go out?

Quote: Chappers @ 16th July 2015, 8:48 PM BST

Could you not unplug it when you go out?

No, I have carers who check on him while I'm at work, but I still need to call him a couple of times to check on him when he's on his own. Also, he has one of those fall detector/panic alarms. If he falls, it sends a signal to an agency and they come through on an intercom to check he's ok. I need the phoneline in for that to work.

I've calmed down a bit now. I just can't believe how difficult it is to stop. You would think they would eventually conclude that certain numbers don't give them any results.

I assume he won't carry a mobile that you could call him on? Then you could silence the landline to prevent the problem.

I remember a gadget my Dad had when I was a kid, it was like a caller display but it was separate to the phone. Maybe if you find something similar you can program it with trusted numbers and he can have that next to him and if he doesn't recognise the number or name, tell him to ignore it?

I looked into getting one of those a while back Lee, and was surprised how expensive it is, considering you get it as standard on even a cheap mobile phone. Why is landline hardware so dear?

Our 'house-phone' has caller ID on it (well them actually-we have 3)
and they are the remote type that sit in a cradle for charging.

They are made by Phillips and can be programmed to call bar (incoming or outgoing). Like withheld or international - which are usually cold calling twats and like any mobile phone, if the number is already in the phone the name of the person comes up. (£70)
I know these people are getting cleverer by using numbers that look like mobile numbers now - but even so, he can keep the phone by him and if he doesn't recognise the number, don't answer.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th July 2015, 9:02 AM BST

Our 'house-phone' has caller ID on it (well them actually-we have 3)
and they are the remote type that sit in a cradle for charging.

They are made by Phillips and can be programmed to call bar (incoming or outgoing). Like withheld or international - which are usually cold calling twats and like any mobile phone, if the number is already in the phone the name of the person comes up. (£70)
I know these people are getting cleverer by using numbers that look like mobile numbers now - but even so, he can keep the phone by him and if he doesn't recognise the number, don't answer.

It's the fact that the bloody thing rings that is galling. Just don't need it.

Having a realistic sense of myself, what pisses me off most are people who have known me for considerably less time than the people who long ago stopped trying to force a certain way of thinking on to me, thinking that they will be successful on the first go.

BTW, after a year of the open mics, I already decided that I wasn't going anywhere professionally as a comic. My problem with the critics is that they shit on everything and expect me to be grateful to them for telling me that the world would be better off if I just didn't exist.

TTPYO. That bloody Rita Ora advert. All it tells me is how awful her voice is.

F**king Blair.

He's the only person in the world whom I'd be glad to see assassinated, and that even takes account of the Duke of Edinburgh and the rest of the Royal parasites..