Russell Howard's Good News Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ October 23 2009, 10:47 AM BST

I do love a ringing endorsement. ;)

Yes. I guess what I'm saying is that, "It's not that shite when compared to Coming of Age."

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 23 2009, 10:59 AM BST

Yes. I guess what I'm saying is that, "It's not that shite when compared to Coming of Age."

A quote for the DVD! :)

Quote: chipolata @ October 23 2009, 11:03 AM BST

Oh, I'd love to see that, I really would. Pleased

Laughing out loud

Interestingly the quote on the DVD of Coming Of Age is "It's not that shite when compared to Grownups".

I too find Mr McMuppetface rather annoying, that backward hop onto the step on Mock the Week shouts "Look at Me, I'm great" when in fact it's average at best and the stupid voice and Blinky Muppetface is just annoying.

This show however I found ok and I'll certainly watch it next week as it's the best thing I've seen on my iphone for months (via iPlayer while in bed). . . .

When I say it's the best thing I've seen, I mean in terms of getting me off to sleep. Nice one Russ. . . sorry, nice one Blinky!

I thought this was surprisingly good, especially considering the vast potential for it to have failed in so many different ways. It was nice and upbeat, which makes a bit of a change from the cynicism of all the other topical shows.

Yes, I liked the positive ending.

Quote: Mark @ October 24 2009, 4:38 PM BST

I thought this was surprisingly good, especially considering the vast potential for it to have failed in so many different ways. It was nice and upbeat, which makes a bit of a change from the cynicism of all the other topical shows.

Yes, so not only is not as shite as Coming of Age, it's not as cynical as Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe.

I'm waiting for the extended version tonight.
I don't think that Half an hour will be enough Russell.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 24 2009, 7:38 PM BST

I'm waiting for the extended version tonight.
I don't think that Half an hour will be enough Russell.

I bet the rest of the time is just made up with shots of him jumping backwards onto a step.

Laughing out loud

I liked the first edition, but I watched Russell Howard's Good News Extra last night and liked it even more. Steve Hall is very funny. :)

Quote: drZee @ October 26 2009, 10:56 AM BST

I liked the first edition, but I watched Russell Howard's Good News Extra last night and liked it even more. Steve Hall is very funny. :)

He had a lot of time, didn't he?

As much as I dislike Blinky, I have to admit, that the show wasn't that bad. As other's have pointed out, this is Charlie Brooker for the iPhone generation and as such lacks any real insight, biting wit or cultured intelligence.

McMuppetface seems to fair better with scripted material then off the cuff ad libs, so we're spared is desperate look into the crowd for pity laughs, but the comedic obserations about the week's events are quite sophomoric in nature and the use of a swear words or funny voices is often used to paper the cracks over unfunny jokes.

I know that BBC Three is meant to be for the '16-24 year old' demo, but some of the gags were aimed at 13 year olds - particularly the extended dialogue about his friend's sex life, which went on forever and was getting laughs through shock value alone.

In summation: Newsround not Newnight.