Russell Howard's Good News

Wow! Just caught the trailer for this new show coming to BBC Three.

I'm really not looking forward to this...at all.

They should really have named it Russell Howard's Pile of Godawful Shite Bad News.

Yes, I've witnessed the trailer. I'm not convinced.

I'll give it a go though.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 12 2009, 11:34 PM BST

I'll give it a go though.

Famous last words?

I have grown to like him so may give it a go.

At least he's not as smug as McIntyre.

Us West Country boys gotta stick together. ;)

I shall kill him if he shames us further though.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 12 2009, 11:40 PM BST

Us West Country boys gotta stick together. ;)

Up to a point. Stephen Merchant - Yes! Justin Lee Collins - Errr

Laughing out loud I never used to mind JLC, but he does annoy a little now.

At least he's safely tucked away on Sky One now, where he can't do much harm.

Indeed.

Just copied and pasted this from the Beeb website -

Russell Howard, one of this year's most celebrated comedians on the UK's comedy circuit, comes to the channel with his own weekly series.

In Russell Howard's Good News, Russell will offer his unique perspective on the big stories dominating all of our news outlets, from online and print to broadcast, as well as picking up on those sometimes overlooked things that make him smile.

Find out how to get involved on Russell Howard's Good News Blog

So it's a one man Have I Got News For You but with Blinky McMuppetface making topical jokes for 12 year olds.

'Boris Johnson wants people to ride bicycles to work in that there London. So here is a clip from You Tube showing a man falling off his bike. When I was young, me and my brother once pushed a man from his bike...and then set him on fire. My Dad was well angry...etc.'

Thanks to you, RC, I now can no longer even glimpse young Russell without immediately thinking of/calling him "Blinky McMuppetface". Well done, sir! ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 13 2009, 12:25 AM BST

Thanks to you, RC, I now can no longer even glimpse young Russell without immediately thinking/calling him 'Blinky McMuppetface'. Well done, sir! ;)

Then my work here is done. Perhaps one day your kind will be ready for the stars, but not today.

*sends signal to Mother Ship*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2009, 12:29 AM BST

*sends signal to Mother Ship*

Ruby's Mum? Huh?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 13 2009, 12:36 AM BST

Ruby's Mum? Huh?

Yeah, she promised to give me a lift home from Scouts.

He did a studio dry run today. By BBC Three standards, it's very good. But I never watch first run BBC Three&4 comedy through a mixture of apathy and experience.
Russell comes alive when he can interact with a young audience. But I think that past 20 he would have merely a niche appeal.
The show is largely him staring into camera standing up and intercut with largely topical clips except almost half are Harry Hill/ Clive James etc type ones taking them out of context. I wouldn't have thought Russell was well suited to topical satire but that this childish Harry Hill sort of thing is more obviously compatible. The little sketch scenes with his cameo players look amateurish.
I don't normally count myself a particular fan of him but I think this will look quite passable. It seems a lot of work though, even with a team of writers or researchers finding the clips.
He says he anticipates two versions of the show: a basic 30 minute one and an extended one where you will see an invited stand-up comedian do a short set. Today was Dan Antopolski and to be honest I started yearning to explore the washing machine drum whilst it was on, instead of listening to him any more. Your mileage may vary!