Russell Howard's Good News Page 6

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ November 3 2011, 10:32 PM GMT

It really irritates me that this is called "satire". The Euro-crisis could tear Europe apart, Israel is considering attacking Iran and Syria is still killing it's innocent people. But hey! Never mind, lets look at this hilarious internet video of a cat!

Yes it's satire - but it's also got a very obvious and deliberate happy and upbeat bent to it. I don't know how much you'll be able to be funny and happy about all the situations you mention...?

Quote: GGdown @ November 8 2011, 7:14 PM GMT

Yes it's satire - but it's also got a very obvious and deliberate happy and upbeat bent to it. I don't know how much you'll be able to be funny and happy about all the situations you mention...?

How come then that comedians like Bill Maher, George Carlin, Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks, Charlie Brooker, Jon Stewart and Lewis Black all manage to do subjects like that and still make it funny?

Are you saying you want Russell's show to be less upbeat?

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ November 27 2011, 10:54 AM GMT

How come then that comedians like Bill Maher, George Carlin, Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks, Charlie Brooker, Jon Stewart and Lewis Black all manage to do subjects like that and still make it funny?

It's called "good news" - presumably because that's what interests him. Seems a strange time to jump on it after he's done quite a few series of the show with the exact same mentality?

Quote: GGdown @ November 27 2011, 3:22 PM GMT

It's called "good news"

'No news is good news', doubly so in the case of Blinky.

does anyone know the name of the song when the mystery guest comes on in series 5 episode 5? the episode shown on the 24th november 2011. please help

I've never been a fan of Howard, but I really started disliking him when he covered a story about a phenomenon in New Zealand known as "Kick a Ginger Day". There was a clip of a distressed father being interviewed, talking about how his young daughter had been kicked numerous times at school and on the road, simply for having ginger hair, and Howard seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable, even criticising the father for complaining about it.

Are you sure? His comedy normally goes the opposite way to that from what I've seen.

Yeah I'm sure. I think South Park is partly to blame for the whole thing, as there was an episode of the show in which Cartman was saying stuff like gingers don't have souls, etc. One of my mates has got a little ginger son, and I hope he isn't affected by this shit when he's older.

I'd much rather have a Kick Russell Howard day, wouldn't you?

Quote: catskillz @ December 5 2011, 5:09 PM GMT

Yeah I'm sure. I think South Park is partly to blame for the whole thing, as there was an episode of the show in which Cartman was saying stuff like gingers don't have souls, etc. One of my mates has got a little ginger son, and I hope he isn't affected by this shit when he's older.

To be fair, I think ginger-based jokes and jibes have been popular in comedy way, way before South Park. It's a self-perpetuating form of cheap, easy, witless humour. To counterbalance, Catherine Tate once did a pro-ginger extended sketch in her show - which was also cheap, easy and witless.

The nicest ginger gag/quip I've ever heard was Harry Hill talking about the reason for his redhead son - "Too many cheesy Wotsits during the pregnancy..."

I remember a story in the news, a few years back, about a family who had to move out of their house and go to another area, because their 3 kids were getting so much abuse for being ginger. I think it was in the North East.

;) They are genetically subscribed to violence though, scientific studies suggest a 'self fulfilling propecy' of self hatred, manifesting in hatred of normal people.

Was it just me or was the guest this week a bit up herself/barely hiding her dislike of Russell? It's a BBC3 comedy show, was she expecting something more serious?

Quote: zooo @ November 27 2011, 10:57 AM GMT

Are you saying you want Russell's show to be less upbeat?

I just wish it was more intelligent and less stupid. :(

I am in love with Russell Howard, and personally, I think that his show is amazing. I watch it whenever it is on without fail! <3

Sorry for interrupting, but it was my English homework to join a discussion forum that I would be interested in.. \: