Russell Howard's Good News Page 2

Dan's great; Muppetface on the other hand...

Quote: Timbo @ October 14 2009, 9:17 AM BST

Dan's great; Muppetface on the other hand...

That's Mr McMuppetface to you, my lad.

Starts tonight then.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/russell_howards_good_news/

The trailer made use of Blinky's masterful command of topical material, i.e. some bit of stand up shtick about the debate on music influencing youth behaviour, which Bill Hicks was making jokes about in the late 80s. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 22 2009, 4:37 PM BST

Starts tonight then.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/russell_howards_good_news/

The trailer made use of Blinky's masterful command of topical material

Is there anything in about the Beano?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 22 2009, 4:37 PM BST

Blinky

I see he was wearing glasses in the 'clip', I've not seen him wear them before. Perhaps he has a terrible degenerative eye affliction which will make his BSG nickname seem very unfunny?

(I'll still laugh though)

Starting now. If you don't want to watch the tosser on BBC One you can watch this one (according to some, I don't mind him so much).

I know Renegade will be watching. ;)

It's on at the moment but I have my headphones on so fortunately I can't hear what the git is saying. My wife is facing the direction of the TV but I think she's asleep. I can't see her face from here.

(There. I've set a scene - who is going to rude first?)

I liked it although it was a bit Harry Hillesque, he's a fine stand up but I think he does struggle a bit on television. The show has potential and I'll be watching it next week.

Quote: Nogget @ October 22 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Perhaps he has a terrible degenerative eye affliction which will make his BSG nickname seem very unfunny?

It won't make it seem unfunny, just cruel, which is fine. :)

If he develops a disease whereby his body turns into foam and latex and he develops a Scottish accent, then his nickname will also become apt. :)

I really think we should try and get Mr Howard's (now official) nickname 'Blinky McMuppetface' more widely disseminated in order to reach his fans.

I quite liked it!

There is a tradition of great physical comedy which Howard fails to fall into. He moves around in a lithe manner, verging on being graceful, for instance he will leap backwards onto the 'step' in Mock the News; yet he never makes it funny. Instead, the way he looks and moves makes many of us hate him. He has a great opportunity to capitalise on his odd looks and his agility, so why doesn't he make it work for himself?

I didn't watch much of the show, it seemed very weak compared to TV Burp. Harry Hill is a master of that format, and whoever they are who puts the clips together, are inspired.

It wasn't the greatest satirical show ever made, but it is good compared to most of BBC Three's output. I'll watch it again next week.

I recognised a lot of the material I saw at the dry run. His hair was terrible!
Actually it is stimulating and quite mentally intense due to his rapid delivery and the rapidfire cutting to clips. That is also part of the problem; the pace and rhythm is difficult to follow and there is little room for it all to breathe. But I do give him credit, it must take a lot of work and it is good enough material.
I don't think a normal human being can sustain a long run of such a show; it is too much work.

As for the comparison to Harry Hill that I made- it is more taxing on the audience than Harry Hill, which is childish and easy to write. Doesn't mean people will think Russell is any funnier...

Surely there's no Good News in Russell Howard having his own show. Eh? Yeah.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 23 2009, 9:35 AM BST

It wasn't the greatest satirical show ever made, but it is good compared to most of BBC Three's output. I'll watch it again next week.

I do love a ringing endorsement. ;)