Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe
TV critic and comedy writer Charlie Brooker takes a caustic look at television programmes and reveals the inner workings of the industry
- 2006 - 2009
- BBC Four
- 29 (5 series)
- Charlie Brooker and Al Campbell
- Charlie Brooker and David Quantick
- Al Campbell
- Kufena Coulter, Nick Vaughan Smith, Derek McLean, Victoria Bobin, John Tiffney, Zoe Tait, Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones
Based partly on the creator's Screen Burn columns in The Guardian, this show is an irreverent, authored magazine show for BBC Four in which Charlie Brooker takes a caustic look at television and occasionally shouts at it.
Capsule reviews of the week's high-and-lowlights jostle for position alongside VT reports, features exposing the confused inner workings of the TV industry, animations, and some other stuff.
The show has spawned three spin-offs: Newswipe With Charlie Brooker, which sees the presenter and critic providing a funny, thoughtful and scabrous digest of recent news events; yearly reviews such as Charlie Brooker's 2012 Wipe Out; and Weekly Wipe. An additional one-off episode, Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe, focussed solely on the world of computer games.
- A programme all about television.
- Part of
- Production company
- Theme tune for Screenwipe is A.M. 180 by Grandaddy. Listen
Theme tune for Newswipe is "You Are Here (FortDax Remix)" by Nathan Fake. Listen
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Thursday 2nd March 2006 on BBC Four
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 22nd December 2009 on BBC Four at 10:30pm
- Last repeat
- Tuesday 3rd January 2012 at 11:20pm on BBC2