Comedy Records Page 7

Not a comedy record in the strictest sense (or indeed any sense), but I want a copy of this immediately!

http://www.thewurzels.com/bullocks.htm

And if you like that one kids, their latest album 'A Load More Bullocks' was out last year. Of course the classics 70s Wurzels are pretty hard to beat, let's have a quick rummage through my virtual comedy cowshed of yesteryear.

Ah! 'I Am a Cider Drinker' based on the annoying novelty holiday hit 'Una Paloma Blanca', the Wurzels would be scrumpy billionaires by now if all their hit songs were originals rather than cover versions:

The Combine Harvester record came with a great piece of prose on the back warning impressionable kids not to attempt to recreate the cover shot. Remember kids, combine harvesters look fun but they can slice and chop you into a thousand straw encrusted tiny bits and bind those bits into neatly stacked bales within seconds. There used to be one in the Science Museum when I were a lad....

And just to show that Oasis and Haliwell and their Britpop ilk didn't invent the Union Jack outfit in popular music:

And of course the late 60s line up with the inspiration behind the band, the late lamented Adge Culter, very much the Brian Jones or Stuart Sutcliffe of Somerset:

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 11 2011, 10:31 PM GMT

*Shudders at memory*

Yeah, but the theme tune was excellent.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 11 2011, 10:31 PM GMT

Up there with PG Wodehouse in fact.

I wouldn't go that far.

The worzels have a "tribute" band... http://www.thecornishwurzells.co.uk/ the name shows little imagination though.

'Mangled Wurzels' might have been a more apt name...

Already taken!!! http://www.mangledwurzels.co.uk/

Wow....great minds think alike!

Thought I would share a few more vinyl gems from the archive. There are dozens of Goon Show records knocking about but there are also quite a few solo records from individual Goons.

Spike Milligan was one of my first comedy heroes. I loved his 'Silly Verse for Kids' when I was young and knew most of it of by heart (and probably still do...). My friend and I would even take turns reading it out loud and recording our efforts on a large clunky tape recorder (oh we certainly knew how to live back in the 70s).

I also had possession of a lot of my dad's old singles so I would regularly play Goon classics like 'Walking Backwards for Christmas' and 'Bluebottle Blues'. I don't remember playing the 'Ying Tong Song' funnily enough, which was probably their best known and biggest selling hit. So here are a few solo Milligan records, a fairly representative trawl through his illustrious and crazy life:

Okay so the solo Goons continued.

Michael Bentine was every inch as surreal, inventive, prolific and as manic as Spike Milligan, so it's easy to see why he left the Goons. Spike was the sort of dominant egotistical person that had to be number one or else... Or else he would shoot you probably. If you grew up in the 60s then 'It's a Square World' was probably your thing, the successful solo reason that you had heard of Michael Bentine:

And just so that I can move forward to Peter Sellers some time soon, Harry Secombe has filled this nation's charity shops with useless albums that no one in their right minds really wants. Even me. Having said that here are two that I include for the mad title and the quite almost funky album sleeve:

They are both very dull, trust me. Next Sellers, I promise.

And so finally, a few Peter Sellers record sleeves:

Quote: Agnes Guano @ February 19 2011, 2:53 PM GMT

Haha, that's a great record cover!

Quote: Agnes Guano @ February 12 2011, 8:15 AM GMT

So this is where Rory McGrath started his odd career, is it. He looks kind of at home and happy. Wonder where the farm girls were, locked up, I imagine.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 19 2011, 4:24 PM GMT

So this is where Rory McGrath started his odd career, is it. He looks kind of at home and happy. Wonder where the farm girls were, locked up, I imagine.

The farm girls were probably safe. I would imagine that the sheep were on their guard though...

I posted on another thread some records from 'Round the Horne' including some releases by Kenneth Williams in the guise of his folk-singing alter ego Rambling Syd Rumpo. I have a load more Kenneth Williams ephemera scattered around the record vaults, so I thought I would indulge myself further with a little Kenneth Williams comedy record themed post.

'Kenneth Williams In Season' - a novelty Christmas release with Kenny in full nostril flaring flow. 'Good Queen Wenceslas' and so on, you get the drift!:

An early revue, with a young Maggie Smith, featuring material from Bamber Gascoigne:

'One Over the Eight' from the 1960 stage show, featuring many early Peter Cook sketches such as 'One Leg Too Few':

More Peter Cook sketches in the revue 'Pieces of Eight':

'The World of Kenneth Williams' a compilation in the long-running Decca 'World of' series:

'Parlour Poetry' a miscellany of comic verse and poetry:

'On Pleasure Bent' a marvellous compilation of silly songs and comic frivolities:

An EP release featuring Cook sketches from 'Pieces of Eight':

And where are they like today?