Comedy Records Page 4

Found 2 songs by Joan Sims on itunes.

One of her singles 'Spring Song' and it's B-side 'Men' are on there.

Thought they had been lost forever apart from the 7" I have.

Hope her other ones get put up at some point.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ October 2 2009, 6:47 PM BST

I have all of William Shatner's attempts at singing and they are funnier than most of my other comedy albums. :D

Yeah they are almost beyond describing, aren't they. To me he's either going through a breakdown, he's been given some acid by a flowerchild or he's intentionally invented a brilliant new form of existentialist nihilistic singing. I'd actually be inclined to go for the latter because his acting style was very similar, all fractured sentences and sudden far off looks into blackness. Becket would have loved him for his plays I'm sure of it.

Joyce Grenfell and Norman Wisdom - Narcissus

Anything by Oasis .. .

Quote: Kenneth @ October 2 2009, 4:33 AM BST

What??? That's a great tune. Best thing the Wonderstuff ever did (even it was a cover - the original by Tommy Roe isn't too bad either).

Fantastic tune, in fact.

In reordering a Peter Sellers CD I have just rediscovered the best comedy song album I have ever heard but lost (it broke through overplaying) over 15 years ago. How I have searched for this gem! Now I have it again, well very soon. It's Benny Hill Sings Ernie, but has about ten other mostly brilliant songs on it that are even better than the best songs on The Ultimate Collection (which is still a must buy and only £2.87 from Amazon!). £7.99 from Amazon, snap it up. It does have some sketch material on it too, which gets in the way a bit, but the songs are fab. They are all taken from his shows in his best period, 1970 - 1971.

I recently bought a Joan Sims record with the tracks Oh Not Again Ken and Hurry Up Gran on it, not heard them yet as I got rid of the stereo with turntable :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 17 2010, 10:30 PM BST

It's Benny Hill Sings Ernie

I saw that record in a charity shop recently for 50 cents. I didn't buy it, as I haven't yet bought a USB turntable. Does anyone know if they're any good for transforming records in high quality MP3 audio? Or is the resulting MP3 poor quality?

I bought an mp3 turntable from Richer Sounds (The Numark ttUSB - around £70) and would thoroughly recommend it. The editing software that comes with it can instantly remove all but the most stubborn clicks and hisses, you can play around with levels and equalisers and the like and you can save the mp3s with whatever rates of compression you want, or as wavs if you don't want any loss of quality. I have been busy trying to get through most of my comedy records collection (there is a hell of a lot of it) but I have made a start. I went a little bit Hi-de-Hi last weekend and after I have reviewed logged and blogged my aural experience I think I shall move on to another vinyl Britcom classic. The Two Ronnies, Are You Being Served, It Ain't Alf Hot Mum....

Finally got around to adding some bobbins. At the moment, for a little light relief before I embark on the Bernard Manning album that begun my obsessive record collecting all those years ago, I am recording some singles onto mp3, one of which you will be pleased to learn is Hurry Up Gran/Oh Not Again Ken. So everything is lovely. Anyway, for my collected bits and bobbins I am cataloguing them here: http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/

Has anybody heard of, or know where I could buy a record by Peter Sellers called Lord Badmintons Memoirs. It's not a song but a brilliant narrative.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ November 24 2010, 6:59 PM GMT

Finally got around to adding some bobbins. At the moment, for a little light relief before I embark on the Bernard Manning album that begun my obsessive record collecting all those years ago, I am recording some singles onto mp3, one of which you will be pleased to learn is Hurry Up Gran/Oh Not Again Ken. So everything is lovely. Anyway, for my collected bits and bobbins I am cataloguing them here: http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/

Is it possible you could send me Hurry up Gran and Oh Not Again Ken?

I still haven't heard them despite having the single on vinyl :(

Quote: David Carmon @ November 24 2010, 10:31 PM GMT

Is it possible you could send me Hurry up Gran and Oh Not Again Ken?

I still haven't heard them despite having the single on vinyl :(

Here is Hurry Up Gran direct from my vinyl, I don't know if you can download it. If not a personal message with an email may do the trick: http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/hurry-up-gran-joan-sims

Quote: Jerf Roberwitz @ November 24 2010, 8:07 PM GMT

Has anybody heard of, or know where I could buy a record by Peter Sellers called Lord Badmintons Memoirs. It's not a song but a brilliant narrative.

It's on the vinyl album 'Songs for Swinging Sellars' which regularly crops up on eBay and the like, I have a copy if you are despearate. If not try the CD compilation 'Celebration of Sellers' or the single Amazon download:
See Amazon product listing

Of course vinyl is best!

Quote: Agnes Guano @ November 25 2010, 12:14 AM GMT

Here is Hurry Up Gran direct from my vinyl, I don't know if you can download it. If not a personal message with an email may do the trick: http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/hurry-up-gran-joan-sims

I can listen to it but not download :( will send a message.

Email on its way David