Comedy Records Page 2

Whispering Grass - The mighty Don Estelle (with Windsor Davies)

The truly abysmal version of 'Grease' tune You're The One That I Want by Arthur Mullard and Hilda Baker.

Lovely Lady Of The Roses by EL Wisty (aka Peter Cook) :)

Benny Hill - Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West)

Dennis Waterman & George Cole - What Are We Gonna Get For 'er Indoors

Dennis Waterman - I Could Be So Good For You

Eric Idle Feat. Richard Wilson - One Foot In The Grave (7" Mix)

Quote: James Cotter @ October 1 2009, 6:53 PM BST

Dennis Waterman & George Cole - What Are We Gonna Get For 'er Indoors

I remember seeing them perform that on Top of the Pops.
They looked very embarrassed, well we all were at the time.

Eric Idle did some very good comedy songs with Python.
I like Chinese.
I bet you they won't play this song on the Radio.
And the one where they whistle, something about lifes bright side(can't remember what it's called.)

And Neil Innes wrote some terrific songs for the Rutles (also one of Idles creations)
The Rutles LP is brilliant, even just for the booklet that comes with it.
Tragical History tour, Denny Lane, I am the Waitress.
:D

Frankie Howerd - Get Your Titters Out

Frankie Howerd - Primeval Scream

Frankie Howerd - Three Little Fishes

Frankie Howerd - All's Well Lady Montmorency

Frankie Howerd - Frankie's Grooving 12" Mix

When I was a kid I used to piss myself at Python's Eric The 'Alf O' Bea.

Kenneth Williams - Green Grow My Nadgers Oh!

Yes Kenneth Williams made a couple of crackers, one I remember where he trialled that voice he used for Willo the Wisp.

I also really like Terry Scott's My Brother - a classic, as were both Bernard Cribbins singles, and both Peter Sellers' Beatles covers in character - still hilarious to this day.

Best comedy album I ever heard was by Benny Hill released in about 71. Cram full of classics - The Girls of the Suzy Bar, The Garden of Love, Maria the Seer etc. Unfindable now!

Quote: david carmon @ October 1 2009, 5:15 PM BST

Worst thing is that I remember Vic Reeves version of Dizzy :(

That's a great song.

Quote: david carmon @ October 1 2009, 5:15 PM BST

Worst thing is that I remember Vic Reeves version of Dizzy :(

What??? That's a great tune. Best thing the Wonderstuff ever did (even it was a cover - the original by Tommy Roe isn't too bad either).

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 1 2009, 6:44 PM BST

The truly abysmal version of 'Grease' tune You're The One That I Want by Arthur Mullard and Hilda Baker.

No!!! That's one of my favourite records of all time! It's what the song might have been like if performed by Marianne Faithful and Stanley Holloway (admittedly with an axe embedded in his throat). And the lyrics have been changed for the better, such as: "If you're filled with infection, you're too sly to convey, medicate in my direction...". Top stuff.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 1 2009, 7:36 PM BST

I remember seeing them perform that on Top of the Pops.
They looked very embarrassed, well we all were at the time.

Not so! Dennis Waterman and George Cole both fondly recall that experience. Great song. Not so good was the record's B-side, Quids and Quavers, written in a rush by George Cole and sort-of sung rather lamely by Waterman.

Quote: Kenneth @ October 2 2009, 12:33 AM BST

What??? That's a great tune. Best thing the Wonderstuff ever did (even it was a cover - the original by Tommy Roe isn't too bad either).

I thought he was suggesting he was old 'cos he could remember it...?

Quote: Kenneth @ October 2 2009, 12:33 AM BST

What??? That's a great tune. Best thing the Wonderstuff ever did

I'm terribly sorry but it was most definitely not the best thing The Wonder Stuff ever did. The albums Hup and Never Loved Elvis were. And their best song was not Size Of A Cow as many believe, but in fact Cartoon Boyfriend. So there. Unimpressed

(I was a bit of a fan. ;))

Quote: zooo @ October 2 2009, 12:38 AM BST

Oh; yes, I hadn't read his post too carefully. Sorry. Though saying it is a "bit cheesy now though" doesn't do it justice. Anyway, 80 and above is old. Anything below 80 is still young.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 2 2009, 12:43 AM BST

I'm terribly sorry but it was most definitely not the best thing The Wonder Stuff ever did. The albums Hup and Never Loved Elvis were. And their best song was not Size Of A Cow as many believe, but in fact Cartoon Boyfriend. So there. Unimpressed

(I was a bit of a fan. ;))

I only even heard their songs on the radio and later bought If the Beatles Had Read Hunter. Wasn't much of a fan at all (don't like Miles Hunt's singing voice) until they got Vic Reeves to do Dizzy.

If The Beatles Had Read Hunter is OK, but pretty much singles orientated. The two albums I've mentioned above are superb, however, and probably can be bought for next-to-nothing now. :)

Back on-topic, the old 60s and 70s Private Eye flex-discs, as well as having some brilliantly funny satire performed on them (by the likes of Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Richard Ingram, John Wells, Barry Rushton and Barry Humphries) also used to feature some great songs as well. Private Eye's equivalent of 'The Beatles' were 'The Turds'. The rendition of their biggest hit is great - I'm A Red Hot Swinging Perve.

Quote: Nogget @ October 1 2009, 5:55 PM BST

Anyone old enough will remember Ray Stevens "The Streak" being played ad nauseum, until every unfunny line became a torture worthy of Abu Ghraib.

I own that record...and Trail of the Lonesome Pine by Laurel & Hardy which made #2 in 1975 if I remember rightly.

Quote: zooo @ October 2 2009, 12:38 AM BST

I was :) I meant it as in it was way back in 1991 and I remember it. I might have only been 7 but still!- It makes me feel ancient