Comedy Records Page 8

Quote: Agnes Guano @ February 15 2011, 7:47 PM GMT

This was my favourite record for a while, partly because of Jeremy Taylor's songs.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ February 23 2011, 10:05 AM GMT

'Kenneth Williams In Season' - a novelty Christmas release with Kenny in full nostril flaring flow. 'Good Queen Wenceslas' and so on, you get the drift!:

I have most of the other releases but don't have this. Is it available anywhere?

There are a couple on eBay, James.

I uploaded 'Good Queen Wenceslas' and 'She Saw Three Ships' onto SoundCloud if anyone is curious or pining for a bit of Christmas cheer:

http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/good-queen-wenceslas-kenneth-williams

http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/she-saw-three-ships-kenneth-williams

Thanks for putting it online.

I have been listening to Peter Cook's "The Misty Mr Wisty" lately (recorded off another's LP). It's still good. From the Braden Beat shows of the mid sixties, but released on 33rpm.

I haven't yet picked up a solo Peter Cook album. There are many wonderful things about vinyl comedy records, primarily I suppose most of the comedy is rare and unreleased on digital formats, but another factor has to be they are relatively cheap. Very cheap in many cases! The stuff I used to pick up in Cheapo Cheapo Records of Soho was amazing. 99p for a live Little and Large album... But I digress.

The Peter Cook solo recordings I have seen are over the £10 barrier, not a huge amount I know but I have to set limits or else the bailiffs would be round taking my sofa away and repossessing the carpet. Still there's always a chance that in some as yet unvisited charity shop in some small provincial town I will find a copy that hasn't been chewed by an angry dog or scrubbed clean with a wire brush and Ajax.

Until that day though, there is plenty of classic Cook and Moore out there, before they came over all Derek and Clive and started picking lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's nether regions:

Whatever happened to these young lads? Beyond the Fringe conquers the world with satire and duffel coats:

Branching out on their own with 'Not Only But Also':

The Decca 'World Of' series must have run to hundreds of records, all with lovely cosy covers conveying a cheesy sense of well-being:

A post Derek and Clive collection stressing the non-sweariness of the tracks:

Dudley's nascent solo film career splutters into life with '30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia'. Playing a piano player and composer in the film, he also composed the sound track and played the piano. See kids, Dennis Waterman didn't invent the phenomenon:

And as a solo artiste, with his very own cheesy Decca 'World Of' record:

Dudley Moore with his jazz Trio exploring 'The Other Side of Dudley Moore':

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 12 2011, 6:35 PM GMT

'Mangled Wurzels' might have been a more apt name...

We are already there! The Mangledwurzels - a Scrumpy & Western band from SOmerset in the spirit of The Wurzels. We ought to be a tribute band, but about a third of the songs in our set are original compositions in the style of Adge Cutler and The Wurzels, i.e. songs about cider, tractors and sheep - and in the old music hall tradition - breaking wind!

It's not high art - but it's a great fun, and better than a real job!

Wow! A real life Mangled Wurzel! Welcome.

Read this on the BBC site today, an interesting article on the back of a programme only on in Wales but definitely one to track down on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesmusic/2011/02/max-boyce-live-at-treorchy.shtml

Max Boyce's 'Live in Treorchy' was a comedy record phenomenon that came out of nowhere really. As the article says, even with Max wearing a dirty raincoat, it reached no 1, stayed on the album chart for 38 weeks, sold millions of copies and inspired a string of follow up LPs:

:( Dont know why its biz, predictable corny old, not funny.
That was inb 1979

Yeah.... I understood a few of those words. You might possibly want to go a bit more easy on the gin.

Quote: Badge @ February 24 2011, 1:05 AM GMT

I have been listening to Peter Cook's "The Misty Mr Wisty" lately (recorded off another's LP). It's still good. From the Braden Beat shows of the mid sixties, but released on 33rpm.

That's a great album.

You can download some stuff from here:

http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/html/discography.htm

I particularly like the 'Good Evening' recordings.

Well I enjoyed Ken Dodd on BBC Two the other day...

Here's a Doddymen release from the gonk-haried buck-toothed Beatle bothering comedy legend plus a few of his gold disc earning billion sellers.

And a track off the Diddymen thing. A possible inspiration for that other legendary Scouse comedian Bobby Chariot perhaps?

http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/howya-diddlin-ken-dodd

A few more Goons related discs that seemed to have slipped through the first time round.

The Many Voices of Peter Sellers - a large four disc compilation of bestest bits:

Milligan's Wake - A Ray Galton and Alan Simpson scripted series for ATV from the mid-1960s:

Unspun Socks from a Chicken's Laundry - Some of Spike#s children's poetry from the 1981 book of the same name: