Comedy Records Page 12

Quote: Griff @ March 29 2011, 10:34 AM BST

Hear hear. I had a Jasper Carrott cassette and loved it. Mind you I also had a Barron Knights cassette.

*dies of shame*

I had 6...

I bought them from one of those bargain tape warehouses that were all the rage in the 80s.....

Alas

I did however only listen to about 10 minutes.

I got to that song about the Chunnel and gave up. Might have been the greatest satirical songs since Noel Coward but alas I will never know now.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2011, 10:51 AM BST

I got to that song about the Chunnel and gave up. Might have been the greatest satirical songs since Noel Coward but alas I will never know now.

Let me see now...Tunnel...funnel...something well

Yeah, that should do it.

Stuff your Bloody Tunnel!

I think it was called.

And presumably some kind of list of things it might possibly be stuffed with.

Quote: Griff @ March 29 2011, 10:34 AM BST

Hear hear. I had a Jasper Carrott cassette and loved it. Mind you I also had a Barron Knights cassette.

*dies of shame*

No one shall die of shame while I am around!

Well admittedly I was very young at the time, but back in the 70s when I would record comedy stuff off the radio on my big clunky tape player, The Barron Knights were a real joy. A Taste Of Aggro in particular, the one with the Smurfs/Boney M/Matchstalk Men parodies on, was a real favourite of mine. Listening again recently I can see why it appealed to me as a seven year old, it is very silly and childish and simple, but even if it is now somewhat dated the humour is still easy to appreciate and the idea of parodying popular hits is something that is always going to sell. My parents bought me one of their albums because I loved that single so much. Typically as parents do, they bought an album without the single on it, but hey I had my dodgy C60 cassette record of Top of the Pops 1978 to fall back on.

Jasper Carrott like Billy Connolly and Mike Harding came out of the British folk revival, and like them found that the spoken word intros to his songs were taking up more time that the songs. Stand up was a logical next step for them all but they remain consummate folk musicians and know their way around delivering a tune.

Speaking of which...
Jasper Carrott - Rabbitts on and on and on...

Jasper Carrott - The Unrecorded Jasper Carrott

Jasper Carrott - Beat the Carrott

Mike Harding - Old Four Eyes is Back

Mike Harding - One Man Show

Mike Harding - Take Your Fingers Off It!!

Barron Knights - Live In Trouble

Barron Knights - Knights of Laughter

Barron Knights - Night Gallery

Cheers Agnes. Good stuff.

A lovely turn of phrase you have there! I was singularly unimpressed by his books as well, When the Martians Land in Huddersfield left me wishing for a powerful Martian death ray to reduce me to dust.

Seeing as they were on telly at the weekend, here are some Goon Show records. Spot the missing volumes.

Goon Show Classics - Volume 3

Goon Show Classics - Volume 4

Goon Show Classics - Volume 5

Goon Show Classics - Volume 6

Goon Show Classics - Volume 8

Goon Show Classics - Volume 9

Goon Show Classics - Volume 10

Goon Again

Goon... But Not Forgotten

The Best of the Goon Show

Unchained Melodies

Is there a prize for spotting the missing volumes?

And The Last Goon Show of All was v. funny.

Yes, you win the sound of a batter pudding being hurled.

Also missing Vol 11 (1985 and Shifting Sands), which was the first Goon Show album I bought. I later bought a stack of Goon Show LPs for $1 each in a second-hand store in the late 1980s and gave them away to older relatives. Probably should have held on to them. Instead, all I seem to have kept is a single of Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. Oh, and these:

(Unfortunately I lack Agnes's talent for producing perfect photos of album covers.)

Barry Humphries Savoury Dip

Signed reverse sleeve

This album has a much cooler cover and is titled simply Barry Humphries. Unfortunately the signature is that of the previous owner:

Still on a Barry Humphries theme, several of his songs are on the Bazza McKenzie Party Album:

A pivotal scene in The Adventures of Barry McKenzie takes place at the Rickmansworth Young Conservatives Ball, where the musical entertainment is provided by 'Blanche Coleman and Her All Girls Band'. I have never been able to find a record of Blanche Coleman, but this one comes close to her style of music:

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but somewhere I've got the cover only of the Monty Python Instant Record Collection. It's a compilation hence its title, but the cover folds out to show the spines of around fifty fictitious albums - all with funny/silly titles. If you've only got a small one it seems you're better endowed than you actually are = record collection I mean.

I've also got the Hee Bee Gee Bees album featuring Meaningless songs in very high voices. Basically Phil Pope.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ March 29 2011, 12:52 PM BST

A lovely turn of phrase you have there! I was singularly unimpressed by his books as well, When the Martians Land in Huddersfield left me wishing for a powerful Martian death ray to reduce me to dust.

:D I took my kids to a Christmas panto at the Oldham Coliseum written by Mike Harding. It was great, lots of audience participation. I think it's called 'The Witch Who Nicked Christmas', anyone else recall?

The Monty Python lot really were masters of the comedy album genre. They weren't creators of endless original comic songs like the Goodies, but what they did was make marvellous records filled with sketches, anarchy, silly noises and daft songs that really exploited the medium, playing with sound the same way they played with images and visual tomfoolery on the telly.

'Monty Python's Flying Circus', the original BBC album, basically a round up of their BBC sketches recorded in front of a bored sounding coach party:

'Another Monty Python Record'. Breaking free from the shackles of the BBC, the Pythons let rip with their own brand of lunacy. Just as they played with the rules and traditions of television, the format is played with from the album cover itself down to anarchic sound collages such as 'Death of Mary, Queen of Scots':

'Monty Python's Previous Record', another great Gilliam cover,this album sees the Pythons branching out into comic songs with 'Eric the Half a Bee':

'The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief', now confident in their skill and ability at creating peerless comedy records, the Pythons let rip with this highly confusing 'three-sided' album:

'Live at Drury Lane'. As a child, I had a cassette version of this that a friend of my dad gave me. This record is probably responsible for really getting me into Python before the show was repeated in the late 1980s. The Americans had to make do with a different live album, but this was a favourite of mine. Albatross?:

Another highly original release, 'The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Month Python and the Holy Grail' has precious little to do with the film but does have lots of very odd original material, which of course includes the corpse of Marilyn Monroe. Naturally:

The aforementioned 'Monty Python Instant Record Collection'. It's a very good introduction to the Pythons, culled from all the previous records:

A more convention soundtrack album, 'Life of Brian':

The 'Contractual Obligation Album'. Another one from when I was younger. Never buy a tape version of this when you are around ten and then play it to your dad on the way home in the car. Cringing is putting it mildly...

I don't have the 'Meaning of Life', that came to me by a tape copy from a friend. One to rectify soon I think, so until then, here are a few choice morsels that are sort of Python related. First, 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again':

'At Last the 1948 Show':

Quote: Kenneth @ April 4 2011, 12:26 PM BST

(Unfortunately I lack Agnes's talent for producing perfect photos of album covers.)

Easy to do. Simply borrow the girlfriend's half decent digital camera while she's off at work and then go mad on the Photoshop! Love the Barry Humphries, there are quite a few Oz only records knocking about down under that I always hope to find one day.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ April 4 2011, 7:30 PM BST

'Live at Drury Lane'. As a child, I had a cassette version of this that a friend of my dad gave me. This record is probably responsible for really getting me into Python before the show was repeated in the late 1980s. The Americans had to make do with a different live album, but this was a favourite of mine. Albatross?

This was also the first Python album I had. Then the Contractual Obligation album. Both on tape, both carted about the world and played on various tape players before succumbing to a mould infection in Jakarta.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ April 4 2011, 7:30 PM BST

Easy to do. Simply borrow the girlfriend's half decent digital camera while she's off at work and then go mad on the Photoshop!

So that's the secret. If using PhotoShop I'd have to make an effort not to embellish the covers with images of James Cotter and such stuff.