Comedy Records Page 11

I posted the Chas and Dave single of 'In Sickness And In Health' earlier in this thread, so I think perhaps a few more Alf Garnett related releases from my vinyl vaults might be in order.

Here is material from the original 1960s BBC series and 'In Sickness And In Health' forerunner, 'Till Death Us Do Part':

Warren Mitchell in jocular cockney mode with 'Alf Garnett's Music Hall'

Warren Mitchell in fighty cockney mode with 'Songs of World War I':

Complete with expletives! A Johnny Speight special 'The Thoughts of Chairman Alf':

A few Carry On odds and ends

I have owned and cherished this compilation record 'Oh! What A Carry On' since I was a child, it's probably responsible for most of the rest of the collection!

Kenneth Connor - 'Much Ado About Love'. Some really odd songs on here! Have a listen to Kenneth tackling 'Norwegian Wood' if you doubt me: http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/norwegian-wood

Fresh from the Army Game. his catchphrase in the series launched Bernard Bresslaw on a brief and unlikely chart career. 'I Only Arsked':

In a less musical album, Bernard Bresslaw reads from Hans Christian Andersen:

Barbara Windsor, Maurice Gibb and Denis Quilley get together to 'Sing A Rude Song', based on the life of music hall star Marie Lloyd:

In dozens of the Carry Ons without ever becoming a major player, Peter Gilmore seized his moment when he starred as James Onedin. Here is getting nautical in 'Songs of the Sea'

I don't think he did an actual album, there are a few singles knocking around but here is Sid James in the musical 'Bye, Bye Birdie'

Twin siblings Eric and Hattie, on Eric and Hattie and Things!!!!'

Bad cover, good record. Singer, actor, comedian, musical star, Grammy winner and Oscar nominated songwriter, Jim Dale:

Agnes, do you think old comedy VHS tapes will ever be worth collecting? At one of my local charity shops, there's a box of Carry On tapes (including the Christmas and Stuffing specials), as well as The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister and much else. All going for next to nothing. I was thinking it might be nice to use the covers as an ugly collage wallpaper and the tapes themselves as a dangerously flimsy building material. Would there ever be demand for such tapes? The only ones I've made a point of buying are films/shows that have not yet been released on DVD, such as Ghost in the Noonday Sun (starring Sellers and Milligan) and Barry Humphries in concert.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ March 25 2011, 9:27 AM GMT

here is Sid James in the musical 'Bye, Bye Birdie'

Cor, I know that musical well, but was hitherto unaware Sid James had starred in it back then. There's an audio clip of him singing 'Kids' on YouTube.

Quote: Griff @ March 25 2011, 9:51 AM GMT

Have you seen all the Mad Men episodes around Bye Bye Birdie?

I watched pretty much everything HBO had to offer from Oz to Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Angels in America and Band of Brothers, but then moved back to Australia a few years ago and have thus far missed Mad Men (although it has been broadcast here on the SBS network). It's on the list of stuff to watch on DVD when I move back to Indonesia.

I've heard it involves a lot of heavy drinking and smoking in the workplace, much like my former office.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 25 2011, 9:46 AM GMT

Agnes, do you think old comedy VHS tapes will ever be worth collecting?

I don't know, I have wondered. Probably in the long term they will be but not for quite a while. Right now if you're not too fussed about viewing quality you could probably pick up almost anything you wanted for about 50p a pop. As more and more people adopt DVD and Blu-ray and start clearing out their shelves to make space, inevitably VHS tapes will become rarer. I have held on to all my old VHS tapes, there are a few rarities that haven't made it on to DVD but by and large there's nothing special in there. I know from picking up the odd Betamax or Super 8 here and there that if something is niche and cult enough that there will always be collectors and completists who will want it in whatever format. I don't think any VHS is ever going to be on sale at silly prices unless, as you say, they are never re-released.

Quote: Griff @ March 25 2011, 9:50 AM GMT

Agnes, this is a fantastic collection of yours.

You really should be putting all of these on a website and I don't mean Ebay.

I read your 'Downstairs Lounge' blog which is brilliant but because of the depth you go into about each item, I presume you'll only ever manage to cover a fraction of your collection.

Well if I manage two a month, which seems to be the best I can do and still hold down a job and a relationship, by my reckoning I should be done in about twenty years. Now there's a prospect.

Quote: Griff @ March 25 2011, 9:50 AM GMT

Agnes, this is a fantastic collection of yours.

You really should be putting all of these on a website and I don't mean eBay.

Totally agree, what a fantastic collection. I browse the charity shops where I live and there're lots of old albums knocking about. I've occasionally bought some for the sleeve alone! But like Griff said, your collection should be shown to a wider audience...how about a nationwide tour even? I'd go to have a look... (I'm getting carried away now!) but they always make me smile when I see them on here.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ March 25 2011, 10:26 AM GMT

Probably in the long term they will be but not for quite a while.

Ya, there are probably better things to invest in for a better return, but seems a shame to see them being junked. If books/VHS tapes aren't sold within 2 months at the main charity shop I frequent, they go to a skip and then the rubbish dump. Perhaps I should start rescuing the old Britcoms, only to build up a collection that I will eventually throw away when I leave Australia.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 25 2011, 10:28 AM GMT

Totally agree, what a fantastic collection. I browse the charity shops where I live and there're lots of old albums knocking about. I've occasionally bought some for the sleeve alone! But like Griff said, your collection should be shown to a wider audience...how about a nationwide tour even? I'd go to have a look... (I'm getting carried away now!) but they always make me smile when I see them on here.

Might be a way off a world tour just yet but I actually did a DJ set in London last month! Only one spot as part of a larger night mind, but it's a start. Everyone else was terribly earnest and serious but I did get the punters at the bar jigging with my selection:

Come On and Tickle My Fancy - Reg Varney
Simone - Clive Dunn
Baby Samba - The Goodies
Nice Try - The Grumbleweeds
Dick-A-Dum-Dum (Kings Road) - Jim Dale
and by way of a John Barry tribute, Born Free - Vic Reeves

So do you reckon the O2 or keep it traditional and try for a few weeks at the Albert Hall?

Quote: Agnes Guano @ March 25 2011, 10:54 AM GMT

Might be a way off a world tour just yet but I actually did a DJ set in London last month! Only one spot as part of a larger night mind, but it's a start. Everyone else was terribly earnest and serious but I did get the punters at the bar jigging with my selection:

Come On and Tickle My Fancy - Reg Varney
Simone - Clive Dunn
Baby Samba - The Goodies
Nice Try - The Grumbleweeds
Dick-A-Dum-Dum (Kings Road) - Jim Dale
and by way of a John Barry tribute, Born Free - Vic Reeves

So do you reckon the O2 or keep it traditional and try for a few weeks at the Albert Hall?

That must have been hilarious, and unexpected too! Yes there has to be a tour, how about calling it The Agnes Guano ' Tickle my Fancy - Its a Right Ol Carry On' Tour :)

A few Max Miller discs. There are some really good routines on these records, if you've never hear Max in full flow you are missing a treat. Few people could work an audience like Max and his skills at delivering a joke are sublime. People often concentrate on the garish outfits and blue material but the way he could take an audience into his confidence and involve them in everything he said is a thing to behold.

All Good Stuff, Lady!

In the Theatre

That's Nice Maxie

The Cheeky Chappie!

You Can't Help Liking Him

They may have aleady been mentioned, but when I was growing up, late 70s early 80s, Jasper Carrott was amazingly successful with his records. Many classic routines.

Quote: Griff @ March 29 2011, 10:34 AM BST

Hear hear. I had a Jasper Carrott cassette and loved it. Mind you I also had a Barron Knights cassette.

*dies of shame*

That's ok Griff. I gather Robyn Hitchock was a big Barron Knights fan.

Probably.

Quote: Griff @ March 29 2011, 10:41 AM BST

Mostly he has impeccable taste - Bob Dylan, Syd Barrett and William Hartnell as Dr.Who - but he does also like the Incredible String Band so who knows.

Yeah, they crop up on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone every now and then. I believe Gorkys were partial to them as well. Can't say I'm fussed.